What lb leader do you like?

kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 30 Greenhorn
Wondering what lb leaders people like for different applications like...

Sheepshead/mangos near structure?
Snook, plus reds/trout on the flats?
Snook/reds/trout in the mangroves?
Snook on docks/bridges?
Tarpon?

Will 30 lb fluoro work for reds and trout? I want to focus on snook primarily, but don't want to eliminate other species either. 
Tight lines
Drew

Replies

• MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Greenhorn
    Inshore 30lb floro is sufficient for most of the applications you speak of. Maybe for bigger tarpon and snook near structure bump it up to 40 floro. You can put a lot of pressure on 30lb with the right knots.

Everybody gets one

• kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Inshore 30lb floro is sufficient for most of the applications you speak of. Maybe for bigger tarpon and snook near structure bump it up to 40 floro. You can put a lot of pressure on 30lb with the right knots.
    Is it too heavy to attract strikes from trout, sheepshead, or snapper? Typically I've used 20 lb for these species, but I don't trust it for snook very much. 
    Drew
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 522 Officer
    30lb is a good for most red and snook applications, unless fishing piling or or serious structure then you can be heartbroken. I've had some monster snook snap 50lb around docks and mangroves like it was nothing, some of those big girls are like a freight train and there is no stopping them on that initial run.  
    edited July 1 #5
    I am thinking of carrying 25 for flats/beach snook and for mangroves/sheepshead at structure.
    Probably 30 for mangroves but maybe even 40. 
    Docks and tarpon at least 60, maybe up to 80. 

My thinking with snook on the flats/beaches is that it doesn't matter if I'm using 20, 25, or 30 - if it hits the Gill plate it's over. So scaling down might attract more strikes in locations where there isn't a ton of structure. Just a thought though - anyone do this?
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 483 Deckhand

Mangos got good eyes and as fish go they are smart - my catch rate goes way up at 20lbs - 12 lbs even better but if there are feral pig grouper (golaith) around you will need horse power to snatch them out of the water ahead of the feral pigs.  

We fish for mangos the way they fish for yellowtail in keys-  chum- float bait in slick with NO line pressure- hide hook really careful in bait.

If I expect (hope) to encounter cobia or such I will use 40/50 lbs.  Again feral pig grouper can be dangerous with 80 lbs leader- somebody get tangled up in leader - I want it to break-

Anybody notice I don't like feral pig grouper...........

• FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 930 Officer
    Sheepshead/mangos near structure?
    20lb will go down to 15lb if needed. Long leader for mangos I'm talking 25'+ 
    Snook, plus reds/trout on the flats?
    20lb if targeting reds - 25lb if more snook always a 1/0 Owner circle hook
    Snook/reds/trout in the mangroves?
    25-30lb if I know the big girls are around same 1/0 Owner circle hook
    Snook on docks/bridges?
    Docks start with 30lb go up to 40lb, bridges I start 40-50lb go up to 80lb
    Tarpon?
    Mostly 50lb but will go down to 40lb in clear water and will go up to 80lb if dead baiting or dirty water / more structure

I fish 10lb, 30lb, 65lb braid for the above species. 
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    I think 60lb for dock snook is pushing it. I prefer 40 for dock snook, but will even drop down to 30 when the tide is slow/slack. Just like you said with gill plates on the beach, if you hit an oyster or barnacle encrusted dock piling, you're gonna slice through anything.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 429 Deckhand
    I like 30lb florocarbon fir snook and reds in the mangroves.   I usually have about 7ft and the 15lb braid.  I've used 20lb in the past but like the 30lb a little better.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,035 Officer
    kangadrew said:
    Wondering what lb leaders people like for different applications like...

Sheepshead/mangos near structure? 25 mono inshore, 25-60 mono offshore depending on size of fish
    Snook, plus reds/trout on the flats? 25 mono
    Snook/reds/trout in the mangroves? 25 mono
    Snook on docks/bridges? 25 mono unless I'm using large baits and gonna muscle them as opposed to finessing them out then 50-60# mono
    Tarpon? 60-80 mono

You can tell what my favorite is.  I find 30 to be getting stiffer and less bendy.

IMO, fluoro is overrated.  My dad uses it and we fish side by side, rarely will one guy significantly out fish the other.  Some trips I do better, other trips he does better - I attribute it to the difference in technique more than leader material.

Snook can wear thru a leader faster if you horse them - it isn't the gill plate but the emery cloth like teeth.  I've had snook wear thru 50# leader in 25 seconds and have played them all the way to the boat on 25# go figure.

Bait vs lures makes a diff too - a circle hook in the corner of the mouth will get less abrasion as opposed to a jig inside the mouth...

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,425 AG
    edited July 3 #11
    Tarpon: 60 to 80lb fluro bite tippet.  For just about everything else inshore I use 30 or 40lb, the only exception being if I'm fishing for spooky fish in clear water I might go down to 25 or even 20.
    It sounds like 25 is a good all-around weight that will work for basically anything inshore (it is what I currently use for surf fishing too). Maybe when fishing docks or mangroves, stepping up to 30 or 40 would be smart. Then fishing heavy heavy structure and fishing tarpon, it would be wise to use 60, 80, maybe even 100. 

So in my minimalist bag I'll probably have 25, 30/40, 60/80, and #6 single strand (for sharks and cudas). That should be able to do anything I need it to. 
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 770 Officer
    if you use braid why use a leader 50% of the time....you think a fish can see 12lb braid but can not see 30lb mono???
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,696 Captain
    if you use braid why use a leader 50% of the time....you think a fish can see 12lb braid but can not see 30lb mono???
    Absolutely.  Braid is solid color and very easy to see, leaders are clear and much harder to see.   
  • dcrdcr Posts: 290 Deckhand
    Another question is how long a leader do you use?
    It depends on species and conditions doesn't it?  Roughly 4' of 25# for me.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,219 Moderator
    Mono and Fluoro is a lot more abrasion resistant than braid.  Fluoro is virtually invisible in water because it has the same light refractive properties as water so light passes straight thru it rather than bend, which is what makes mono visible in water.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral
    20 # test unless I get bit or broke off, then 40#. Length, I start with the span of my arms and keep whittling it down to about 10 inches. Might last a day or 2 depending on the bite, snook needs to be retied after every fish, macks and other toothy fish will nick the heck out of your line, A fight with a big red will stretch out the floro and make it opaque.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 43 Greenhorn
    all depends on who you are targeting
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 43 Greenhorn
    normally 20- 25 are the go to sizes
  • Crazy FingersCrazy Fingers Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    I use 25# fluoro line (not leader) for just about everything inshore.  If I’m fishing around bridges for hugeness snook or tarpon I’ll use 40 or 60. Even around the docks I do pretty well on 25.  I don’t use the leader material because it’s ridiculously priced. 
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    I know A guy that owns A boat.

He fishes with 20 pound mono

How mush does that cost?

Since the introduction of Alconite Ring Concept Guides, rod builders and anglers alike have been amazed at their performance characteristics. 
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 482 Deckhand
    I used to think mangrove snapper were very wary and smart, but the past 3 years I catch 3 or 4 every trip on a gold 1/2oz spoon with treble hook around mangrove trees and docks. I typically use 25 or 30lb mono for leader. If I am specifically targeting snapper, I will drop to 12/15lb leader. I am usually targeting snook and reds though, and the mangroves are just bycatch. Use an FG knot for braid to leader!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,966 Captain
    Flec said:
    I used to think mangrove snapper were very wary and smart, but the past 3 years I catch 3 or 4 every trip on a gold 1/2oz spoon with treble hook around mangrove trees and docks. I typically use 25 or 30lb mono for leader. If I am specifically targeting snapper, I will drop to 12/15lb leader. I am usually targeting snook and reds though, and the mangroves are just bycatch. Use an FG knot for braid to leader!
    Spoon is moving too fast. They cant see all the danger. Float a shrimp by and let them look at it with those big eyes and they get "smart"
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,102 Captain
    I know A guy that owns A boat.

He fishes with 20 pound mono

How mush does that cost?

Since the introduction of Alconite Ring Concept Guides, rod builders and anglers alike have been amazed at their performance characteristics. 
    Yeah great point! It all depends on the fisherman or women!