Was there a red tide last summer offshore of Apalachicola?

I have some decent grouper numbers I tried in September last year , 80 ft.,and they were devoid of grouper. Decent bite on mangrove snapper but ....judging from the past, the mangroves seem more tolerant of red tide than grouper. The reason I ask... if there WAS a red tide, that would explain the grouper shortage.
A jerk on one end of the line waiting on a jerk on the other end of the line.

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 2,408 Moderator
    I don't remember a big outbreak. The weatherman was saying his big boy spots were devoid too.

." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,265 Officer
    I don’t remember a red tide last year off Apalach. Think the last one I remember there was about 4 years ago but could be wrong about that. 

My my guess is water temps have driven them deeper. The surface temps yesterday were just stupid hot (the hottest I’ve ever seen off this part of the coast this early in the summer). Also doesn’t bode well for hurricane season in the gulf this year. 
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,623 Captain
    There was one for the central part of the state last year but I didn’t think it came up this far
    You should have been here yesterday
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 76 Greenhorn
    Grouper are loaded at all my spots, just have to go deeper. Red tide here was I think in 2014 and really hit the red grouper hard. I'm starting to see good recovery of the reds, at most spots, just smaller due to reestablishment of the fish stocks.
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,265 Officer
    Grouper are loaded at all my spots, just have to go deeper. Red tide here was I think in 2014 and really hit the red grouper hard. I'm starting to see good recovery of the reds, at most spots, just smaller due to reestablishment of the fish stocks.
    How deep are you finding them? 
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 76 Greenhorn
    I'm finding them in 60'- 70' but yes they are small and largest red snapper and grouper are @ 90+ with the water temps rising.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,593 AG
    The sharks are the worst I have seen them in years. They were on every hole we fished Sun-Tues and took a lot of fish from us. Moving didn't do any good.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes