Anybody seen the shrimp in the St Johns yet?

I know it's early, just wondered if anyone has found any.

Replies

• sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Following. I'm curious as well. No activity down in Palatka but I know it's still early yet for down that way. 
  • mike.robomike.robo Posts: 182 Deckhand
    Nothing around Dr's Lake bridge yet. 
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    The creeks and some of the river are full of small to smal baits size 
  • artrecord224artrecord224 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Following.
  • mahimahi2345mahimahi2345 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    There catching 5 gallons in 3 to 4 hours north of dunlawton there starting to show up here 
    This is the average size some r bigger 
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    Wow nice!  Ya you are waaaaaaay south of us.  But cool nonetheless. 
  • rekraprovertrekraprovert Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Had them jumping in the kayak last weekend over near Dutton Island. Just the little small ones, but they were everywhere.
    I'll keep you guys posted if they start thicking up 
  • DriftinDanDriftinDan Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    The photo is encouraging, I had set expectations low with all this rain.  
  • subchasersubchaser Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    That photo is a little concerning. The shrimp appears to have "black gill" which we see south of Savannah typically, and later in the year. This problem has been an off an on (and growing) issue for the past several years. There are a number of theories, and some thoughts about origin; but there is not really any substance on how to control the problem. Certainly hope this is not the case in your area. BG sucks ... and will have devastating ramifications to the fall harvests. To the OP on the pic ... was that for indicating size, or is that a recently caught St J shrimp?

http://www.savannahnow.com/news/2016-06-26/shrimpers-scientists-seeking-black-gill-clues-georgia-coast

• fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,888 Captain
    never heard of black gill, i have heard of shrimp getting cotton diease
  • c-notec-note Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Tried last night north of Shands west side of river, nada
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 526 Officer
    I would think the BG would be a problem when shrimp with it are transported to a new area to be used as bait. 
  • subchasersubchaser Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Relic ... The culprit here is a water borne ciliate, once inside shrimp it will eventually kill them. Transporting shrimp isn't going to be a theory that holds up as conditions for the ciliate are known to have a narrow range for survival and the range has been shifting. BG has been around for a number of years but has been steadily spreading in the past five to ten years. Do a few web searches on BG if you're really interested. Seeing it regularly is definitely a cause for concern.

Again ... it's in the water, the shrimp take it in when they're filtering water/feeding and the ciliate then infects them. Shrimp are collateral damage in the ciliates life cycle, they are not considered a primary cog in the works. 
  • JaxNative1JaxNative1 Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    We caught a couple of really small ones while cast-netting for pogies near Trout River a couple weeks ago. Tried our luck around Doctor's Inlet and NAS Jax last weekend and couldn't find one.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 621 Officer
    some jumbo shrimp in the pogie pods off the beach, always a nice surprise!
    we need more internet money