Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anyone seen Lionfish while diving out of Islamorada?

Would love to spear some while we’re in Islamorada. Just wondering if anyone has seen any. 

Replies

• sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    We shot 2 behind alligator, nice size while diving up an anchor we stuck..
    I think it mat be legal to harvest them inside the buoys at the reefs too
  • Chase1281Chase1281 Posts: 50 Deckhand
    I talked to the guy from Florida marine labs and the fwc regulations still affect Lionfish inside the 3 mile mark. At least that’s what I understood from his message. 
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,133 Officer
    Chase1281 said:
    I talked to the guy from Florida marine labs and the fwc regulations still affect Lionfish inside the 3 mile mark. At least that’s what I understood from his message. 
    From the web site: 

No-take Zone Permits

A permit is required to harvest lionfish in the no-take zones of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Permits are issued by the Sanctuary following training given by the Sanctuary and the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF).

http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/lionfish/

• Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 286 Deckhand
    I took the REEF course a few years ago. Unless the regulations have changed, we were told we were able to take them inside the no take zones but in Pennekamp we couldn't spear them anywhere since it is not allowed inside park waters. We would have to use a net or some other device that does not puncture the fish. Check the local regulations. My friend frequently nabs them with a lobster loop snare.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,137 AG
    Why in the heck would there be ANY no take areas for lionfish?
    Seems really stupid to me.
    And yes, I know and understand about pennekamp.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Chase1281Chase1281 Posts: 50 Deckhand
    I think inside the three mile marker you can use a net but no spear. The regs are confusing.