My lucky day...

And not because I got a slam either... 

So yesterday morning at 5:35 I'm sitting stopped at a traffic light on the way to the ramp when I feel " Wham " and the truck jumps.  It seems this young woman runs into the back of my boat. I guess her foot came off the brake or maybe texting or something.....Who knows.
I guess it is a good thing I trailer in the fully tilted position. Her little turdbox Ford slid right under the skeg & bullet and was stopped by the two protruding ends of the engine mount brackets. There was no damage to the motor but her grill and especially the hood is really messed up.  
I felt bad for her...she looked like she was ready to cry but I told her not to worry and that her insurance company will get her car fixed up for her ( we know it won't...but why upset her  grin  ) 

Man, It would have really sucked to have had my engine smashed..... 

The fishing was Ok to a point. I caught 7 snook and two trout and a jack...and had a red hooked up but as luck (not the good kind) would have it....it ran over the oyster bar it was feeding on and cut me off. From then on it was one missed fish after another...I lost count of how many...but way too many....and a couple real good ones too.  I guess once you use up the days luck you should go home  :)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/uwhM27Yl.jpg[/img]

Best one landed.

Still.... having my motor not destroyed made it a great day for me. 

Today, I start out the same way and get my trout before heading south. Run down and pull 4 snook off one little point but they are cookie cutter 20 inchers. I move down and the next point I get a nice 27 incher.  Decide to run annd hit a couple more spots with the CAL before it gets too bright out. get 2 more snook and 2 trout and decide to got look for bait. It is still tough to find the right ones...but I get a few and I'm off.  It's still to low of a sun angle so I keep throwing the CAL but no takers. Bump 1 Red.
Now a long slow grind with one more small snook and I see 1 Red that refuses.  Tide is getting slow and high and fish are not being aggressive.  I start working north and the tide is picking up on the outgoing  I pick up a nice 21 inch trout and start banging snook but much like yesterday the really nice one breaks me off under the mangroves. 
I finished up with 12 snook landed with the two best at 27 and 27 .5 inches ...several more jumped...4 trout and 2 jacks.... 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/65Cnme6l.jpg[/img]

There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• FlecFlec Posts: 444 Deckhand
    Glad you did not have any damage to your motor and transom Joe. I saw you run by us a couple times while I was having lunch under the little bridge with my sister and her husband in their boat. Its a nice place to get out of the sun for a few minutes. Could not get a red to eat plastic but I did get a nice 31" snook on topwater to start my day and then ended with my first tarpon on flyrod. Caught my 3rd sheepshead on a gold spoon to add to the mix of trout,snook, and mangroves. A fun day. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,573 AG
    I saw you under there with another boat...I was wondering about that. And yes, It is amazing how much bridge shade cools you down.
    I haven't seen your Sis & BIL in a long while...You said he lost his Wednesday off and that was when I would see them. 

And yes...Nothing would be worse than getting a smashed motor to start your day  :'(
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you