Downrigger Surprise 6/24.

MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
edited June 2018 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1
Headed out about 7. Little confused seas with a decent westerly chop and a SE swell that popped up overnight. Quickly netted a well full of pogies and headed to the Nassau Live Bottom. 

Showeded up and was greeted by probably 10 or 15 other boats. Put baits in for around an hour and had no bites. Looked and sounded like it was slow for everybody else. Decided to push a little further east. 

Spot two showed the same results. Good bait and bottom marking but no takers. Decided to work north. 

Spot three same story as spot two. Starting to get a little frustrated at this point but from the sounds of the radio the bite was slow this morning. 

Decided to to move again and finally found some fish. My guess is the bite turned on for a mid to late morning chew. Over the next hour or so we couldn’t keep a full spread in the water. 

The cudas were hungry along with a few snakes. Kept the Kings for some fish dip and proceeded to release cudas. And boy were they active. Sky rocketing. Jumping. Going crazy. We had one almost jump in the boat as well as one drench us as it hammered the prop wash bait and took off. 

We decided to drop the downrigger a little deeper and it got slammed. Though a different fight than what we are used to. We caught deep color and saw a bright silver figure and began thinking jack as it was very broad bodied. It made one more run before we finally got it to the surface. We were all shocked as an African pompano rolled up on its side this far inshore. 

We we put the spread back out and got covered up with cudas again. My dad and uncle were in the bow dealing with a Cuda and I began idling towards some other numbers near by with one pogie in tow on the medium rod.   Next thing I know that rod is screaming. I grab the rod and begin fighting the fish. They get the Cuda released and we began chasing the fish down. We get close and we see a big king roll up and sound on another run. We finally get the fish boat side and dad sinks the gaff in my biggest king to date. Got her on the scale at home and she went 30 pounds exactly. Solid fish. We tidy up the boat and head home about 1:30 to perfect seas cruising about 42 all the way in. Decided to take a picture of the fish back at the ramp for a better backdrop than at the house. 

Shut Up and Fish

Replies

• elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 254 Deckhand
    African pompano is one of my favorite eating fish.
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,299 Officer
    Hell of a day/report! Nice work! We caught a few undersized african pomps last summer at PM reef, nothing like yours. Such a cool fish!
  • Knotty DreadKnotty Dread Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Man that sounds like a fun day!

• GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 428 Deckhand
    edited June 2018 #5
    Nice going! We had to move around a bunch yesterday but once we found them it was game on, couldn’t keep bait in the water. I gotta have a talk with my downrigger every time I set it deeper than around 30 ft a red snapper is the result.
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Nice work. Way to keep after it!
    Good Job...way to stay with it....!!
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,437 Admiral
    And just a note......something to always know.....

The MAJOR feed for 6-24 was from 10:45 am to 12:45 pm......which sounds like the time you had the most action, near abouts.....

The MINOR was 4 pm to 5 pm, that same day.

Sometimes...especially near the beach or on the beach......it will seem like a wasteland and people think there are NO FISH around.....but if you know what time the major and minor is.....you can stay at a likely place and 9 times out of 10 they will fire off real close to the major feed.

you can check TIDES4FISHING.COM for the solunar tables.........
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 710 Officer
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 265 Deckhand
    That is a good day there. 
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Sea Snake said:

The MAJOR feed for 6-24 was from 10:45 am to 12:45 pm......which sounds like the time you had the most action, near abouts.....

Sometimes...especially near the beach or on the beach......it will seem like a wasteland and people think there are NO FISH around.....but if you know what time the major and minor is.....you can stay at a likely place and 9 times out of 10 they will fire off real close to the major feed.

Steve i checked out the website and holy cow im going to use that all the time it is crazy the amount of info they give you.
  • GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 428 Deckhand
    fsu11 said:
    Sea Snake said:

Steve i checked out the website and holy cow im going to use that all the time it is crazy the amount of info they give you.
    It’s one of my home tabs, great info all in one place.