In need of grommet around rod holes under gunnel

Fortsmith11Fortsmith11 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
I purchased a 2000 1720, and the holes under the gunnel where the rods feed into are just bare fiberglass.  I am sure there is supposed to be some kind of grommet or other buffer around that hole to protect the fishing rods, I just don't know what that thing would be called.  Can any of you give me any leads to help start my search?  Thank you in advance!


  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Fortsmith11Fortsmith11 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    No, the rods are stored horizontally under the gunnel.  The tips are inserted toward the bow into these holes, and the butts lay on top of the rod holder ledge.  I have attached a picture of what I mean.  This is not my boat, but the holes that run into the front area and what I am referring to.  These have rings around the openings and mine do not.  Also, I do not see where there are any screw holes that should be holding them in, so I think the ones I need do not have screws. 
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Have you contacted the factory? I’ll bet they can help you. 
    I know what you a referring to and grommet probably isn’t the correct term but I can’t think of anything either. It’s kinda like a thru hull fitting without the hose portion. 
  • robertgrantrobertgrant Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    The factory told me they are just thru hull fittings a few years back.Tgey also said good luck getting to the nut on the back.

  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    If you found some you could just use some 5200 to keep them in place.  They'd never fall out again. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,331 Officer
    Search google for fishing rod grommet, or utility grommet, or rigging grommet. You will find something that will work.

    TH Marine has quite a few different type.

    I say......I say & improved my tail feathers.

  • Fortsmith11Fortsmith11 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Looks like this is the answer.


    They were relatively cheap on Ebay, and fit exactly into the 1-7/8 " hole.
  • VeroDDVeroDD Posts: 309 Deckhand
    Those are not surface rings.  They extend into the rod tubes that run forward alongside the gas tank.  Pm me if you need photos.  I have a 2002 1720.
Sign In or Register to comment.