Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mangrove Snapper Tips

Headed to Marathon this weekend, hoping to score some nice mangoes. Got any expert advice, when/where/how?
2019 Everglades 435
1989 35 Contender TCummins
2013 296 Cobia

Replies

• sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain

night 40-70 foot is usually best.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,786 AG
    Gulf side it starts way out.  10-15 miles out and you have to sort through the shorts.   But they are there. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    Is pinfish the best bait, live or butterflied? Do you chum?
    2019 Everglades 435
    2013 296 Cobia

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    slo now- night pinfish current =must
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WahooslayerWahooslayer Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    slo now- night pinfish current =must
      Thanks, but deciphered does this mean: mangrove fishing has been slow of late, nighttime and pinfish are best, and you must have current to catch? 
    2019 Everglades 435
    2013 296 Cobia

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    yes
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 125 Deckhand
    sk018 said:

night 40-70 foot is usually best.

x2, mangroves at night are easy. They eat anything and you can often get them right next to the boat. Get out there at 10, mark something, bring 2-4 blocks and it will be more than enough. If you don't have a limit or close to it before midnight, MOVE. Sharks can be a problem, I've literally had one follow the boat. Also, remember when you're in federal waters you can take 10 mangroves per person, just the same as yellowtails, etc, but you can't stop to fish in state waters
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 640 Officer
    At night is best, but you don't necessarily need current unlike yellowtail.  In the afternoon you will mark them close to the bottom.  You can start searching as shallow as 40' and they can be as deep as 100.  Be patient, since they really don't turn on until way after sunset, but when they do they will come up right under the boat.  You don't need live bait either, although live pinfish will help you avoid the little "mangoes" and target the larger ones.  Cut ballyhoo or herring works fine.  If you have many small ones near the boat, try casting you bait farther out, or splash a good glob of chum right behind the boat and toss your bait right after it.  I'd give you some exact spots, but I only fished Marathon a couple times many years ago and did most of my mangrove fishing off Boca Grande west of Key West.
  • Plan Sea ChartersPlan Sea Charters Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Remember to in order to keep 10 fish pp they have to be 12" min. I usually try not to keep anything under 14" when the bite is hot.
  • buzzard302buzzard302 Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    Yeah night time and chum.  On a good spot, they basically jump in the boat.  Squid or bally chunks for bait.  My biggest complaint is that they lockjaw when you bring them in the boat.  Spend more time trying to get the hook out...
  • Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 286 Deckhand
    we caught 7 nice sized ones in 32 feet of water in Key Largo a week ago....during the day using fresh ballyhoo plugs on the bottom.....
    Remember to in order to keep 10 fish pp they have to be 12" min. I usually try not to keep anything under 14" when the bite is hot.
    Should've mentioned that^^^^^
  • no slackno slack Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Hey guys I have been reading about fishing the reef at night but am a little hesitant running at night.  Anything you guys can share on navigating  to the reef in the dark safely.  I do not have radar on my boat.  Thanks.  
  • beat to fitbeat to fit Posts: 2,081 Captain

Driving at night.  Drive out during the light and make sure your trail is on ur GPS and stay away from any markers.

Follow that in on ur way home.

The least amount of light on ur boat is best (except running lights) dim your GPS to night / red

Use big spotlights off ur bow to comb the area and take sure time if your going over 15mph.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,786 AG

Driving at night.  Drive out during the light and make sure your trail is on ur GPS and stay away from any markers.

Follow that in on ur way home.

The least amount of light on ur boat is best (except running lights) dim your GPS to night / red

Use big spotlights off ur bow to comb the area and take sure time if your going over 15mph.

Wouldn't recommend night fishing during lobster season, to many traps on the gulf side that you may not see until it's too late. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 640 Officer
    You can always stay overnight and run back at first light if not comfortable with running at night in that area.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 978 Officer
    Big mangroves are on their way to spawn around the full moon of July on the Atlantic reef. This year that is the 27th. Most posts above are referring to fishing the ocean side at night. The bay during this spawning time will have few large mangroves.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
    Running at night is no fun, sometimes you just have to run a track and just trust it, or buy a spotlight and take your time your first few times, go out before sunset, maybe troll around the reef a little bit
  • no slackno slack Posts: 339 Deckhand
     That's what I was wondering if you  just follow your Trail back.  Thanks alot guys.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    Every morning we duck hunt we drive out at night and we routinely did it when lobstering. Using a light as opposed to driving into the abyss can do wonders. But I would never go to an area, i have never seen in the day and has hazards, and run it blind. 
  • Make It HappenMake It Happen Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    edited June 2018 #22
    Moon light..will  provide good navigational aid 
    Wet the hook,keep the line tight, bend the rod & stay connected fish on