It's a shark eats shark world.

TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,428 AG
edited June 25 in General Fishing #1
A group of folks were fishing for tarpon near Miami.  They accidentally hooked a small bull shark.  They were fighting the shark when a much larger bull comes out of nowhere and bites its tail off.

Article: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/06/25/Monster-shark-bites-off-hooked-sharks-tail-in-Florida/7701529947021/

Video: https://hlsrv.vidible.tv/prod/5b30ead1c0e0af5bbad0c7e5/2018-06-25/hls/playlist_v1.m3u8?PR=E&S=Io2Kz4-aQHocvVr2kk4h4dgsanRAO-stVcKZJgyHcn8aomimpyNTRjyHyGJCIWJg

I've seen bull sharks eat tarpon.  It's not pretty.  Have never seen a bull eat one of it's own, but came upon this video today, and thought I'd share....Mike

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 655 Officer
    Pretty crazy.

One of my old kitesurfing buddies told me about kiting out at sebastian inlet...  watching bull sharks bite full grown turtles in half
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 431 Deckhand
    Wow....makes you think twice about getting into the water
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,942 Captain
    I fish a lot along the west coast of the Everglades (in my 22nd year full time as a guide there) and I'm always seeing things there that surprise me, even after all these years...

A few years back one of my anglers hooked and brought to the boat a small great hammerhead shark to be released.  It was about six feet long and lean.  I estimated it at about 60 lbs.  We released it in good condition and it swam about fifty feet from my skiff before being just blown up right in front of us...  My anglers got all excited and after they settled down for a moment asked what had attacked the shark.. I simply replied - a really big shark... When asked what kind - I just said  - large and very, very hungry... I figured that the attacking critter was either a really large bull shark or a big tiger shark since either one is perfectly capable of eating a smaller shark... 

Where the attack occurred?  The perfect place - the mouth of the Little Shark River... We were north of there today catching speckled trout and lots of small redfish when we stopped at a spot that was just loaded with small bull sharks ( in the 30 to 60lb range.  They grabbed every bait we laid out... they were thick enough that we simply left the area after
    hooking five in a row - all less than 50 - 60 lbs...

No, this area isn't a place to go for a swim since the water is dark and you'd never see even a big shark until it was right on top of you....

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,220 Moderator
    This was a 6' blacktip that was being fought by a friend last week. Never saw what hit it.Image may contain one or more people
  • tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Several years ago I was fishing near one of the military tower in the norther Gulf. We were slow trolling a live blue runner for kings. Hooked up with a decent size one, got it 10' from the boat then an even larger cuda comes and cut the king in half. The cuda then circles back to eat the remaining half we are still connected to. Not sure if the hook ever stuck in him or not but within 10 seconds a big bull shark races up from the bottom and eats the cuda. We fought the for a while before deciding to break it off. Just thought is was kind of cool seeing the progression in the food chain. Blue runner catches king, king catches cuda, cuda catches bull shark.   
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,840 Admiral
    I saw this video on IG.  Crazy that thing came up and bit that tail off, then was free to eat the rest at his leisure.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • adampaul883adampaul883 miamiPosts: 27 Greenhorn
    It's really amazing to experience the shark like this. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 596 Officer
    When spearfishing I give Bullsharks a wide berth. They are stealthy hunters and one of the only sharks that have put a scare into me.
    Bulls are number three on the list of people killers - worldwide... In Africa they're called the Zambezi river shark - in Nicaragua they're called the Lake Nicaragua shark (they're perfectly comfortable up in mostly fresh water -unlike most sharks...).  I've seen them up to ten feet long in Whitewater Bay.....and one was found 500 miles up the Mississippi a few years back.   Put simply, bull sharks swim where people do....

Florida is the "shark bite" capital of the world - but the vast majority of the time it's a single bite with no follow-up (victim got mistaken for a fish in roiled waters - but it will still ruin a vacation if you need fifty to seventy stitches...).  If you ever hear of someone badly hurt or killed by a shark here in Florida the bull would be my first suspect... Once they bite they keep coming until you can get out of the water..... If the victim is never found - then I'd suspect a really big tiger shark - particularly at night along Atlantic side beaches....

Where we fish, along the gulf coast of the Everglades between Cape Sable and Lostman's river every day we find a constant mix of bulls, lemons, blacktips - and only occasionally a medium size tiger or a big hammer (the hammers seem to follow the big tarpon....).  Makes for an interesting day.... and no, you won't see me wading or swimming along that coast unless I have no other choice....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 470 Deckhand
    Bulls eat a lot of blacktips and spinners off the gulf coast.  If you find a big school of breeder redfish a couple miles offshore, there will usually be a bunch of blacktips and spinners mixed in, feeding on the same stuff as the reds.  And shadowing that big school of reds...  Big bulls.  Pretty cool seeing those schools and the trailing sharks from a spotter plane.
    In late September into early October along the Gulf coast of the 'Glades those big breeder schools come in close to shore and some of them break away and come visit for a while.... One of the ways we find them is to look for really big sharks ghosting along the coast... Look behind one and you'll occasionally find a handful or more of reds in the 20 to 40lb class just trailing along.   The only downside is that if you hook one the big shark turns around and things get interesting as the follower turns into a prospective meal....Cobia occasionally behave the same way as those big breeder reds as well...

Never a dull moment along the gulf coast of the 'glades - where you're at least 21 miles from Flamingo (and 35 miles from Chokoloskee) -most days you rarely even see another boat...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666