Great Bottom Fishing

Hey guys,

Its been a while since I have posted.  Been crazy busy running offshore and prepping the Hydrasports for its maiden voyage to the Bahamas for 4th of July.  We have gone out SLI the last two weekends and got our limit of Vermillion Snapper, Golden Tilefish, and a handful of Porgy each time.  I fixed a broken hose this past week and needed to make another run this past weekend just to run the boat, so went to our Snapper spot and got out limit of Vermillion again and a few Porgy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 331 Deckhand
    Nice job 
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 395 Deckhand
    Man those are some big vermillion's you really got them dialed in
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,431 Captain
    edited June 26 #4
    Jeeeez Sean!  You're killing it out there...
    Hope you slay the Queens in the Bahamas next week.
    Have a safe trip!

Pura Vida!
  • FishNfoolFishNfool Posts: 142 Deckhand
    good eats for sure.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    HUGE vermillion...who knew?!....what depth? ...what rig?

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,107 Captain
    Jeeeez Sean!  You're killing it out there...
    Hope you slay the Queens in the Bahamas next week.
    Have a safe trip!

Thanks buddy!!!!  I can’t wait to get over there and start fishing :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    HUGE vermillion...who knew?!....what depth? ...what rig?

The things were monsters.  We were really going for the big ones and threw a lot of 14-16” fish back.  Over the last few weeks I have seen action form 90-120 and only using chicken rigs with squid. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    Thanks for the tip! :)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Diggity6186Diggity6186 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    They are thick right now. Had a 4 person Vermilion limit this morning with lines in at 7:20 and leaving at 8:55. Right on top of 6 mile in 75'. Just anchor up and the schools swim by. Current was ripping today though. Needed 8 oz to hold bottom. Also got a keeper king on the flat, too many bonito and some short muttons. Had a sail come right up to us and of course the bonito got there first. 
  • JaxJax Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    Wow, I didn’t know vermilions got that big. Nice job
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 425 Deckhand
    Great catch....safe trip next week
    Thanks guys, I love this time of year when they move in thick. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,116 AG
    Nice!!

Looking at the first Pic, I'm seeing a new nickname for you on our upcoming Yuri Trip in 5 weeks!  ;-]
  • JepoJepo Palm Beach GardensPosts: 20 Greenhorn
    They are thick right now. Had a 4 person Vermilion limit this morning with lines in at 7:20 and leaving at 8:55. Right on top of 6 mile in 75'. Just anchor up and the schools swim by. Current was ripping today though. Needed 8 oz to hold bottom. Also got a keeper king on the flat, too many bonito and some short muttons. Had a sail come right up to us and of course the bonito got there first. 
    Where is 6 mile?
  • Diggity6186Diggity6186 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Beginning of the Sirotkin fishing zone little over 5 miles ENE of the inlet. While cruising you'll notice it as it goes from 82' up to 74' (as high as 71'). No wreck or anything artificial. Just a natural reef line. 
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Very nice.  Good luck with the Bahamas.  Was over in the channel last week, sharks were THICK.  Managed one nice YFT.

Very nice.  Good luck with the Bahamas.  Was over in the channel last week, sharks were THICK.  Managed one nice YFT.

Awesome!!!!  I’m hearing the same reports. I think I’ll focus off the corner and see what I can make happen. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,431 Captain

Nice YFT Kevin, congrats!  Conditions look awesome.

Pura Vida!
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Nice haul of vermillions..!!! they were thick of the loran tower a few weeks ago. I was shocked at how big and fat the fish are right now..let’s hope they keep chewing for a while
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 425 Deckhand

Awesome catch...
  • bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
    Nice work, Sean!  Did you get the porgies the same depth as the vermillions?
    bambam78 said:
    Nice work, Sean!  Did you get the porgies the same depth as the vermillions?

Hey Jim,

Thank you Sir!!!  The Jolt Head Porgy were at the same depth as the Vermillions, but the Red Porgy were in 350 off Push Button Hill.  I went out searching for Snowy Grouper and testing the Quickdraw on the new Garmins (which by the way is absolutely awesome) and they were by catch.  The Red Porgy are VERY good eating and I now have them dialed in to where they live and can surly get me bag limit on them in short order if they are the target species.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pursuit2470wpbPursuit2470wpb Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    awesome eats right there buddy!!