Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankee Capts Jigging rod/reel combo recommendations

OK, all you Yankee Capts deep water jigging experts, what are your favorite 30#-50# jigging reel/rod combo.  Target species, grouper & mutttons 100-400 ft.  Is a 2 -speed conventional reel essential?  I have a trip on YC planned and may be upgrading my equip.  I have seen the Rec fro Yankee cap website but thought I would ask the end users.

Instagator

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    Faster gears let you pick up line quicker than slower gears. I like a higher gear real when I fish personally if there are sharks. Plus it's easier to pull them up quicker.

You can easily use your bottom setup for jigging unless that's all you want to do all day.

I use a Calstar 800H for 95% of what I do

But the guys have nice Phenix, black hole, seeker rods. My buddy uses a shimano trevala jigging rod. 6 ft
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 959 Officer
    The end users make the recommendations to me and they go on the list. My list is spot on. Including the slo pitch tackle.

Anything else give me a shout.

Greg
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Thanks Capt Greg.  I used your list as a starting point.  So far the options I am considering:

reels
    Shimano Torium 14 hga or Torium 16
    Daiwa Saltist STTLD 20
    Daiwa Saltist 15H
    Daiwa Santiago 30
    Shimano Trinidad 20
    Accurate Valient 500N
    The problem for the last 3 is they are very expensive

Rods:
    Shimano Trevala TVC66m or Terez
    Ugly Stick jigging rod USTEJG 50100c631
    perhaps a crowder rod

I plan on using 30lb braid

additional thoughts on the above or other options

Thanks
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 959 Officer
    I would buy a Valiant. That’s what you need. 30 pound braid is fine. 

You have ave plenty of choices with rods. Depends on your budget.

Anything else give me a shout,

Greg

• privateer19privateer19 Posts: 439 Deckhand
    Watched a guy on my last trip just crush them on Ugly Stik Jigging rod and a Shimano spinner. I like the daiwa saltist and okuma cedros spinners with the ugly stik as a budget jigging rod set up. easier to jig for me but tougher to fight big fish. i think the geometry of the conventional reels is better in the fight. just my opinion....
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 903 Officer
    My "go to" jigging reel is my Torium 16.  It is also the "go to" reel for Kayaker in Key West for wreck fishing.  Watch some of his videos on wreck fishing.  My Avet reel is smaller, but almost weighs the same and has less line capacity.   The Torium 16 is light for it's size, fast retrieve ratio, solid and smooth, quality drag,  and a good value for under $200.

I agree with privateer19 that the best value in spinners is the Okuma Cedros 55.  

Rod selection really depends on how much you want to spend, but short rods in the 5'8" to 6'3" range are physically easier to work with for extend amounts of jigging.  However, Capt.Greg might prefer that you use a longer rod on his boat.

• benwah22benwah22 Posts: 201 Deckhand
    I don't know why people continue answering. The Captain answered himself:

I would buy a Valiant. That’s what you need. 30 pound braid is fine. 

You have ave plenty of choices with rods. Depends on your budget.

Anything else give me a shout,

Greg

I think this is a great example that can be extrapolated into how well people do on a Yankee Capts trip. Consistently, the people that catch the most fish are the ones that a) put in time at the rail, and b) LISTEN TO THE CAPTAIN.

For instance.  Last trip with Greg:  "I think that jigs will be very productive here, you might want to go to the starboard side and cast up-current with a jig. It'll be more work, but I think it will be worth it."

I listened. I ended up with 4 totes of fish.

Nevertheless, some folks decide that they want to not listen and go their own way, kind of like here.  

They did not end up with 4 totes of fish.
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
    Thanks guys for all of the tips.  I love the accurate valiant but at $400 i could not justify it to myself at this time.  I ended up with a real I had not considered, Avet SX6/4.  About same size as Valient but max drag is 20lb and with valient max is 30lb.   Not quite as smooth as the valient but thinking is should loosen up some as I break it in.  Holds 440+ yard of 30lb brain which should be more than enough.  I paired this with an ugly stick jigging rod.

My decision is no disrespect to the Capt.  If money was no object i would have gone with the valient.  I think the biggest factor for success wil be both rail time and skill level in working the jig.  I will accomplish the 1st part, the 2nd part will take time and teaching from the mates and observing the pros.

Thanks again for everyone’s suggestion
  • TugasTugas Posts: 202 Deckhand
    That’s a horrible show pitch reel sorry .. just saying ... slow pitch isn’t the place for make shifts and that’s what people don’t get .. it’s too technical ... either you can afford it or you can’t .  
    You may be right Tugas, but I hope not.  What aspect of the Avet is not up to par? Gear ratio, 2-speed, line capacity, max drag?  I will also be bringing my Cabo spinning reel with 50lb braid in case i need a heavier set-up for the bigger jigs.  I have a Shimano Triton 200-G and Penn 555 (6:1) gear ratio that I may bring as a spare.  If all fails I will just fish with bait.
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 903 Officer
    InstaGator.... I think that both benwah and and Tuga are being drama queens to an extent.  Yes Capt. Greg did recommend the Valiant reel, and it is a very excellent choice, but not the only choice.  Budget, and how often you will be using the reel for vertical, let alone slow pitch should have influenced your decision, and it sounds like it did.  Ideally, vertical jigging reels should have 1 speed, narrow spools, high retrieve rates, smooth strong drags, and light weight. 

Your choice doesn't meet all of that criteria, but you will still be able to catch fish on a slow pitch jigs.  Benwah did mention the 2 most important points: a) putting in time at the rail, and b) listening to the Capts. advice on how and where to fish.  The reel that you are using will be a distant 3rd to these two points.

Keep your 2 speed in high gear all of the time, unless you hook into some huge.  Staying at a constant speed of retrieve will allow you to determine what retrieves are working and repeat them.  A slightly wider spool will cause additional side torque at times and make line distribution slightly more difficult.  The reel is a little heavy too.  However, with a little extra strength and focus on what you are doing, the reel will preform just fine.  You will tire a little easier, so maybe just live bait occasionally to take a break.   

Fish hard and you will to just fine.
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 558 Officer
    Bounce jigs with your bottom rods. Diamond jigs, bucktails, flat falls will all catch fish, especially out there. 

Avets are known to eat through bearings when fished at close to max drag, which is why guys don’t recommend them for bottom fishing.  Ive personally had good luck with the penn fathom lever drags. They fish the rated drag quite well and don’t bind up on you. They also don’t cost a fortune. 

Northern, thanks for the comments your points are rationale and appreciated.  I did not think a 2 speed was a necessity for this type of fishing but perhaps a bonus.  The size of of the Avet SX6/4 is about the size of the Valient but weighs a few ounces more I believe.  Thanks for the insight on constant rate of retrieve being critical.  I have not slow pitched jigged just high retrieve vertical jigging, which is obviously different.

Yeaaa_Chris, I have not heard about Avets not being good for bottom fishing and them tearing up bearings.  If that happens I will return to Avet, and be pisssed.  I have looked at vets before for offshore trolling reels but the thing I did not like about them was the spool/gear feedback.  I know they still use a dog gear but it seems they could have improved this aspect of their reels to be more in-line with that of the accurate, etc...  Finally, I have heard a story or two of the side plates falling off while guys were returning from the Islands.  I find this hard to believe but I am not totally convinced it could not happen.  What I suspect happened is the reels were worked on and the screws were not orqued to the proper rating.

Thanks to everyone, hopefully this discussion will aid other with similar questions.  I will let you guys know how I do with the Avet after my Pulley Ridge trip in Sept.
     I will let you guys know how I do with the Avet after my Pulley Ridge trip in Sept.

Any chance it's the Halfway Ledge trip on the 6th?

Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
    Benwah22, I will be on Spet 24-27 pulley ridge lite trip.
    Oh well, I was hoping to see the Avet in action.  Next time.
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • TugasTugas Posts: 202 Deckhand
    How’d the trip go