Harley-Davidson moving production off shore to circumvent tariffs ...

Replies

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,951 AG
    So what you fake news believing ignoramuses are saying is that the tariff is the straw that is breaking the camels backs. 
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,467 Admiral
    Funny, all the cheerleaders don't talk much about the stock market gains anymore like the used to, why do you suppose that is?

Maybe they couldn't look at the Dow because they  were too busy reading the fine print of their  beautiful, magnificent and more affordable health care.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,425 AG
    Funny, all the cheerleaders don't talk much about the stock market gains anymore like the used to, why do you suppose that is?
    Because stock market gains are old news now. Life is good and the economy is surging. Only detractors use it as a weapon

Jan 16 the Dow was at 19800 today it's at 24200. Why do you think that is?
    Mostly the corporate tax rate decrease.  It would be even higher without the uncertainty around trade and tariffs.

Why do you think that is?
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,959 AG
    Cyclist said:
    So what you fake news believing ignoramuses are saying is that the tariff is the straw that is breaking the camels backs. 
    i'm thinking it was something HD had been planning and the increased tariffs sped it up 
    No political signature
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,918 Moderator
    frank said:
    Cyclist said:
    i'm thinking it was something HD had been planning and the increased tariffs sped it up 
    frank said:
    Cyclist said:

I would agree. With sales decreasing in the Us and increasing in Europe, the tariff deal just made the decision easier.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,034 AG
    frank said:
    I would agree. With sales decreasing in the Us and increasing in Europe, the tariff deal just made the decision easier.

Interesting.....so you guys are saying that Tariffs are successful in influencing a company's decision to move production closer to it's consumer base?

Welp....I guess since the US has the largest Consumer Base in the world....we are in for a lot more winning.
    That would be China
    Their middle class is growing as ours is shrinking 

No political signature
    edited June 26 #39
    China is poised to make global trade great again and America is poised to be hugely relegated to second at best. Every world association or group that we used to lead is now in the domain of China.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,034 AG
    edited June 26 #40
    frank said:
    That would be China
    Their middle class is growing as ours is shrinking 

I guess their Tariffs on American made goods, along with currency manipulation is working.
    And this is not just about China. We are screwing our allies for some reason.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,425 AG
    If at first you're wrong, move the goalposts, eh?
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,617 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    LOL always pushing the limits of the special privelges you get here on FS  :)

How can they stake  blame when the tariff only took effect 4 days ago ? 

Q: Why can't the world's biggest economy run trade surpluses — or at least smaller deficits?

A: That's a question Trump posed repeatedly during the campaign. He heaped blame on misconceived trade deals, which he said have exploited the United States while rewarding other nations. Private economists say the answer is hardly so simple. A nation's trade surplus or deficit, they note, reflects diverse factors, including how strong consumer spending is at home and abroad and the value of, say, the U.S. dollar against other currencies — something the United States can't easily control. What's more, the United States, as a highly advanced economy, pays higher wages than many developing nations do — a potential disadvantage on trade.

http://www.mcall.com/business/getsmart/mc-fast-facts-how-will-the-us-trade-deficit-affect-trump-s-economic-plans-20170207-story.html

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,760 Admiral
    Cyclist said:
    And this is not just about China. We are screwing our allies for some reason.
    How are we “screwing” our allies?
    The EU countries have been getting a free ride since 1947. 
     As I asked before, what tariffs do we put on BMW or Bugatti motorcycles coming into the US?
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,930 Captain
    This is very simple to me. I'm not whiny or emotional, so that helps. As I said earlier moms and dads don't let their kids ride motorbikes. Plus there's nowhere to ride them without being arrested, so no new riders are being born. They're also very dangerous on the road. A huge amount of accidents end in a fatality. Cars are quiet, have ac, gadgets, roofs, windows......

Go in to a Harley dealer and look at the layout and size of the store. They're massive and mostly stocked with apparel. That's their bread and butter. More Harley wear is worn by people that don't ride.

HDs best move would be to get out of manufacturing and stick with licensing and parts. They would be hugely successful
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
    Tax on imported cars is currently 2.5% of value.

trump is considering 25%
    Cyclist said:
    Tax on imported cars is currently 2.5% of value.

trump is considering 25%
    As usual you're telling YOUR side of the story trying to sell your point to someone who doesn't care.

How much of a duty does the EU charge for vehicles imported? I'll wait
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
    Knock yourselves out

https://www.usitc.gov/tariff_affairs/tariff_databases.htm

spoiler alert: eu charges a 10% import tariff on automobiles 
    No political signature
    frank said:
    Knock yourselves out

Bicycle riders Google machine was broken thanks.

2.5% vs 10% doesn't appear to be fair trade . I can't make that math work
    we have other ways of making it work 
    many of the european automobiles sold here are built here, but the sedans are built there and we slap a luxury tax on many of them 

No political signature
    frank said:
    Knock yourselves out

Except we charge 25% for imported trucks and the EU 10% across the board. I am not sure who that is fair too, I don't know how many trucks we import and how they define truck.

Cool site that explores many aspects of trade, dependency, high volume issues, etc.

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 6,707 Admiral
    So this is a big victory for those suffering from TDS?

You might want to wait for a bigger hill to die on. 

Captain Todd Approves

Cyclist said:
    frank said:
    Knock yourselves out

Except we charge 25% for imported trucks and the EU 10% across the board. I am not sure who that is fair too, I don't know how many trucks we import and how they define truck.
    Imported trucks??
    Trucks like what?
    Cyclist said:
    frank said:
    Knock yourselves out

Imported trucks??
    Trucks like what?
    "Chicken tax"

Most of those trucks are made here. Toyota made in Texas and California, Nissan made in Mississippi and I think they have a plant in Ohio. 
     I have seen a Mazda truck plant in Kentucky if I remember? 
    Freightliner assembles a lot of their class 5-7 trucks in Mexico but they are mostly US made parts. 

Most of those trucks are made here. Toyota made in Texas and California, Nissan made in Mississippi and I think they have a plant in Ohio. 
     I have seen a Mazda truck plant in Kentucky if I remember? 
    Freightliner assembles a lot of their class 5-7 trucks in Mexico but they are mostly US made parts. 

Correct and at whose expense?...and to circumvent the tariff.

Whose expense? 
    Sounds like a good deal for us. 
    Whose expense? 
    Sounds like a good deal for us. 
    Toyotas and Nissans built in the US are not Fords, Chevy's or Dodges.
    Last time I checked Mississippi was part of the USA.