Harley-Davidson moving production off shore to circumvent tariffs ...

GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,662 Admiral
That's working out well isn't it?

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Harley-Davidson, up against spiraling costs from tariffs, will begin shifting the production of motorcycles headed for Europe from the U.S. to factories overseas.

The European Union on Friday began rolling out tariffs on American imports like bourbon, peanut butter and orange juice. The EU tariffs on $3.4 billion worth of U.S. products are retaliation for duties the Trump administration is imposing on European steel and aluminum.

Harley-Davidson Inc. sold almost 40,000 motorcycles in the Europe Union last year, generating revenue second only to the United States, according to the company.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 2,414 Moderator
    Every action has a reaction. I can see more companies making similar decisions.

." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,701 Captain
    I'm 100% against tariffs.  Every single thing govt does has unintended consequences...  We should let the free market work.
     So what, if we have trade deficits? We are a consumer nation!  
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 4,135 Captain
    Harley has a **** product anyway. Hopefully this will promote the boycott of Harley Davidson, which should have happened 30 years ago.
    Good luck with the Brazilian and Indian work force.....

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,586 Admiral
    I think the us should only put tariffs against countries that tariff our stuf.

Oh, wait.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,770 Admiral
    Harley Davidson had problem before this announcement.   Fake News 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 7,143 Admiral
    Don't own or want a bike.  Don't care.

Captain Todd Approves

• CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Finfinder said:
    BS
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Cyclist said:
    Finfinder said:
    BS
    explain there slumping sales and stock value for the past year 
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,797 Captain
    Finfinder said:
    Do you know how stupid you sound when write " Fake News"? 
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,101 Captain
    Cyclist said:
    Finfinder said:
    BS
    Read the third paragraph in their investor relations release. You're wrong and too emotional again. http://investor.harley-davidson.com/news-releases/news-release-details/harley-davidson-announces-fourth-quarter-full-year-2017-results

Harley-Davidson will go out of business if they manufacture out of the country. That's 100% of their customer base. Even there global customers buy because they were made in America. They got huge tax breaks this past year so a tariff will make zero impact on the bottom line. Looks like fake news to me. The media and the braindeads are  doing everything they can to keep this beautiful country divided.
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
    edited June 25 #12
    Finfinder said:

Do you know stupid you look when you are triggered and jump on an issue like a mob, without doing a little research. 

Can you explain Harley Davidson's slumping sales and stock values for the past year.  
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 4,135 Captain
    Finfinder said:
    Finfinder said:

Do you know stupid you look when you are triggered and jump on an issue like a mob, without doing a little research. 

Can you explain Harley Davidson's slumping sales and stock values for the past year.  
    I'll take s**** products for a million.... Alex!
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 1,797 Captain
    Finfinder said:
    Finfinder said:

I'll take s**** products for a million.... Alex!
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,254 AG
    At least the ZTE jobs are safe!
    After further review 2016 was flat and 2015 was a loss.

The biggest problem that they face is smartphones and computer gaming. Parents no longer want their children to take risks and all the private land is off-limits to dirt bikers. It's just Changing Times.

I collect guitars and worldwide sales are way down. Kids would rather sit at home playing on a phone then picking up a guitar because it requires hard work and discipline to be good at it. You can be a rockstar on the phone in an hour.
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,073 AG
    Funny, all the cheerleaders don't talk much about the stock market gains anymore like the used to, why do you suppose that is?
    Funny, all the cheerleaders don't talk much about the stock market gains anymore like the used to, why do you suppose that is?
    Because stock market gains are old news now. Life is good and the economy is surging. Only detractors use it as a weapon

Jan 16 the Dow was at 19800 today it's at 24200. Why do you think that is?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited June 25 #19
    Finfinder said:
    Hardly.
    Cyclist said:
    Finfinder said:
    BS
    Read the third paragraph in their investor relations release. You're wrong and too emotional again. http://investor.harley-davidson.com/news-releases/news-release-details/harley-davidson-announces-fourth-quarter-full-year-2017-results

Harley-Davidson will go out of business if they manufacture out of the country. That's 100% of their customer base. Even there global customers buy because they were made in America. They got huge tax breaks this past year so a tariff will make zero impact on the bottom line. Looks like fake news to me. The media and the braindeads are  doing everything they can to keep this beautiful country divided.
    60% of their motos are made in US. They have two factories oversees since 99 and something like 2011. The entire point of this is that they will be moving more production of motos overseas.

This is what we are talking about.

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    edited June 26 #20
    What are the import tariffs on BWW, Buggatti and Triumph motorcycles into the United States?
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,073 AG

"Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag," Trump tweeted Monday as he departed for a campaign trip to South Carolina.

"I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U., which has hurt us badly on trade, down $151 Billion. Taxes just a Harley excuse — be patient!"

Clearly Harley Davidson disagrees, considering they are spending millions and 18 months to move a significant portion of their manufacturing overseas.

Those jobs are gone forever and one person is responsible for that.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,795 Admiral
    Not Me...
    I always bout **** Cycles anyways. A Honda Trail 90 is a Bad Machine,,,60 tooth sprocket and Hi, Low range...Pull your Jeep out of the mud....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,290 Admiral
    Harley is jumping the Gun and obviously has not watched the news.... German Auto makers are pressuring the EU to drop all tariffs on US Vehicles.

• frankfrank Posts: 13,292 AG
    Harley is jumping the Gun and obviously has not watched the news.... German Auto makers are pressuring the EU to drop all tariffs on US Vehicles.

The majority of their overseas sales are in Europe, the future manufacturing sites will be there, they're just looking to the future as business decision, this may not have as much to do with the trade war as they are saying
    Like the Japanese firms that build their cars here, HD is looking to save themselve money
    No political signature
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,494 Captain
    frank said:

The majority of their overseas sales are in Europe, the future manufacturing sites will be there, they're just looking to the future as business decision, this may not have as much to do with the trade war as they are saying
    Like the Japanese firms that build their cars here, HD is looking to save themselve money
    This. ^
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Plus the fact that Harley Davidson’s demographic market is changing. Very few people under 40 are buying them. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain

Of course everyone wants to blame tariffs cause it is real continent to do so but, I wonder if labor costs play into this as well, that is usually the motivator to moving your business off shore.

Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,241 AG
    The baby boomers have spent all of their inheritances.... they aren't buying Harley's anymore.

"Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag," Trump tweeted Monday as he departed for a campaign trip to South Carolina.

"I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U., which has hurt us badly on trade, down $151 Billion. Taxes just a Harley excuse — be patient!"

Clearly Harley Davidson disagrees, considering they are spending millions and 18 months to move a significant portion of their manufacturing overseas.

Those jobs are gone forever and one person is responsible for that.

This was planned for a long time before the tariffs were announced. Do you even have a clue what it takes to move or build from scratch a manufacturing plant?
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,097 AG
    edited June 26 #30
    The baby boomers have spent all of their inheritances.

I don't have my inheritance yet.

Vote for the other candidate
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,124 AG
    Bwahahahahaha, so cute to watch the gullibles buy into the fake news propaganda.

Fact is Harley's have been on a sales decline, and the company has been cutting US jobs since at least 2016.

Fortune Magazine article from January 2018

Harley-Davidson to Lay Off Workers—Again—as Motorcycle Shipments Slump

Motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson said on Tuesday that it would slash jobs and close a plant because of declining motorcycle shipments.

The company plans to shutter a factory in Kansas City in 2019 and send some of that production to another plant in York, Penn. As part of the overhaul, around 800 jobs in Kansas City will be cut, but 450 will be added in York, Reuters said.

Harley-Davidson cut 200 U.S. manufacturing jobs in September of 2016.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/30/harley-davidson-to-lay-off-workers-again-as-motorcycle-shipments-slump/