Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Eastpoint Fire

micci_manmicci_man Senior MemberSomewhere in FLPosts: 15,001 AG
Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Moderator Posts: 25,081 Moderator
    I saw that. Hope everyone is ok.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SloughSlough Senior Member S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,815 Admiral
    Terrible, Prayers for all involved and the fire fighters. 
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,235 Captain

I saw that on the news also, and feel concern for the families. But I want to ask a question:

Why would anyone build their home in a location that had dangerous conditions around it? Where are the Florida Cracker and Deep Rural South traits that people had before modern times? Traits that put the family's safety on the "front burner" in where and how they lived?

Common sense prevails here on our Board, and it's very evident if you follow our Threads and comments for any length of time. Would any of us have built or bought a home with surrounding conditions like these? Who created these "wildfire conditions"? Is this forest fire situation on state forest or National Forest lands? I have other thoughts and comments about this but I'll wait and see if anyone has anything in response.

• skyway andeskyway ande Senior Member St. petePosts: 3,807 Captain
    40 homes! Dang! 
    Thats nearly all of them.
    God Bless them. Amen
    God, save the South!
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Senior Member Posts: 503 Officer

Why would anyone build their home in a location that had dangerous conditions around it?

Because it is HOME. These are not wealthy people for the most part who can just move.  Many are oystermen and most make some part of their living from the water- they are the salt of the earth. They could use a hand-  I have asked a friend there to provide info for his church as I am sure they are helping folks.  I will post what I find out here.

• ferris1248ferris1248 Moderator Posts: 25,081 Moderator

Why would anyone build their home in a location that had dangerous conditions around it?

Because it is HOME. These are not wealthy people for the most part who can just move.  Many are oystermen and most make some part of their living from the water- they are the salt of the earth. They could use a hand-  I have asked a friend there to provide info for his church as I am sure they are helping folks.  I will post what I find out here.

Please do. I would imagine there isn't a lot of insurance involved and some folks lost everything. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• micci_manmicci_man Senior Member Somewhere in FLPosts: 15,001 AG

Those houses like many, many others boarder the National Forest. I myself am in the middle of a plantation that does controlled burns every year. I was looking at a map for all of the closed roads and all of them were either on the edge of the forest or go through the forest. It will be interested to see what the cause of the fire was. As I understand there was a controlled burn not far away. There was also a bad lightning storm not far away too. 

Per the local news there are 4 church's taking donations and they were filled with needed goods. I couldn't imagine loosing everything I had but the clothes on my back from a house fire, much less without insurance.  

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

The initial point that I was making has not been understood! FIRST---I feel sympathy for those burned out. I will help them with a donation as soon as Circle Hook posts info. NOW, THIS IS WHAT I MEANT!

These people, these burned out, are the remnants of the original Florida Cracker Society that settled this state and virtually all of the Southeastern states. They have the innate ability to fend for themselves, make a living and survive whereas many don't in our modern society. My simple question is this: Why didn't they make their property pretty well fire proof to prevent flames from coming across and burning them out? Did they do everything that they could to protect their homes? If they did then I want to know who owned the timberland that carried the fire to their property. Was it part of the State Forest as I think it probably  was? Or was it U.S. Forest Service land? (probably too far south for that) Or was it private holdings? (probably wasn't private). If it was government owned lands, state or federal, WHY was the fuel content allowed to build to this dangerous point? Let me point something out that should be considered in a common sense aspect: Here in north Florida/South Georgia, we get a lightening strike on the ground capable of setting a fire on every 115 acres every calendar year! Wildfire is part of our existence here, and the way you help offset this high danger is to CONTROL/PRESCRIBE BURN the existing woodlands to keep fuel content low and at acceptable levels. (If you want an example of what I am saying here, simply go up to Tall Timbers Research Station and see how these "knowing" people manage the forests there).

Without having seen any of the surrounding timberland, I'm betting that the fuel content was FAR over the dangerous limit. I drive highway 65 frequently stocking my grits/cornmeal in Apalach and St.G Island, and I see first hand what is going on there on the governmental forest lands. The USFS is generally OK. These people know how to implement controlled/prescribed burns. But I laugh at what I see for the most part on state forest lands. Sorry to be critical, but if you spent a career in forest management in this area, burning 3-4 thousand acres a year for clients, you'll laugh, for the most part, at what you see.  I'm being too critical here and I know it. But I wonder----who owned the adjacent land to those burned out, and WHY was the fuel content allowed to build to this point?

I believe it is Tate's Hell State Forest that is on the North boarded of the houses that were burned and it is/was THICK.

Going back to the Florida Cracker Society, I don't know if the folks in Eastpoint are decedents of FCS or not but if so some traits over time dwindle away with many people. Just look at it this way. I've been talking to several different people that own companies or run companies that 90%+ of the work is outside lately. Every one of them are telling me that they can't find help or keep help not even a week. The younger generation just won't work in most conditions much  less out in the heat. I'm willing to bet that some of these younger folks come from good hard working generations over the years.

I guess my point is over time people either get soft when it comes to hard work and/or just don't have any give a  d amn in them.

edited June 2018 #11
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Senior Member South GeorgiaPosts: 2,555 Captain
    micci_man said:
    Ok, I'm definitely not an expert but I have lived in South Ga all my life and I can't remember anybody doing controlled burns this time of the year when it's hot and especially with the winds that we have had.
    Is that something that goes on and I just haven't noticed it? 

"Winners take responsibility, losers blame others"

Megyn Kelly

Figured it was state forest.  The tactical error in this scenario will rest with the contract burner used by the state, and the state will make every effort to place all of the blame there. The STRATEGIC ERROR, however, rests with the state, and management of these state lands/forests rests in totally INCOMPETENT HANDS! It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds now, but I--and many other private professional foresters--could write you an accurate dissertation on what happened and what will take place. It has already started----high end politicians jacking their jaw! Excuse me while I go have a good laugh! 
  • CranfieldCranfield Senior Member Posts: 1,584 Captain
    "Florida's agriculture commissioner says a controlled burn by state contractors sparked a wildfire that destroyed 36 homes and burned more than 800 acres and officials have suspended the practice statewide."

If the State are responsible, surely there will be a full compensation package available.

We are reasonably familiar with that area through our friendship with Ron Harper over many years, there are some fine people living back there, we have met quite a few.
    This must be heartbreaking and very frightening for them.

I would also be interested to see info re donation routes.
    jcbcpa said:
    micci_man said:
    Ok, I'm definitely not an expert but I have lived in South Ga all my life and I can't remember anybody doing controlled burns this time of the year when it's hot and especially with the winds that we have had.
    Is that something that goes on and I just haven't noticed it? 

I've participated in several controlled burns on private properties (nothing at all like Mr. Rich!!!) and we always burnt in mid to late February and always before Turkey season starts. I have seen properties burn after the turkey and quail have nested and have little ones and I scratch my head at that. Plus like you said, the wind is not as high as it is now.

Saying that, I really don't think FWC gives a care about the wild life as much as they say. Example is in parts of the ANF they are hack and spraying EVERY oak tree and killing them. Their goal is to get the forest back to nothing but a pine forest. Just think how many animals feed and use oaks. A friend at work that runs dogs is witnessing the oak kill off.  

• Circle-HookCircle-Hook Senior Member Posts: 503 Officer

For donation to be handled by some very local folks-  East Point United Methodist Church

Phyiscal location 317 Patton Dr.  East Point 32328     

(Patton is the little side road that runs from 96 over to island road- so they are across the street from the bay)

Mailing Address  PO box 522

Address donation to EPUMC  att: Mike Thornburg   "for fire victims"

Any donation helps and shows people do care.

• skyway andeskyway ande Senior Member St. petePosts: 3,807 Captain
    micci_man said:
    jcbcpa said:
    micci_man said:
    Is that something that goes on and I just haven't 

Saying that, I really don't think FWC gives a care about the wild life as much as they say. Example is in parts of the ANF they are hack and spraying EVERY oak tree and killing them. Their goal is to get the forest back to nothing but a pine forest. Just think how many animals feed and use oaks.... 

that's sad indeed!

God, save the South!
  • tapatetapate Senior Member SowegaPosts: 5,263 Admiral
    Surely the states gonna help them for burning their homes. 

Cant imagine otherwise .

what a dumb time to burn!!! Jeez
  • SloughSlough Senior Member S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,815 Admiral

CAUSE OF EASTPOINT FIRE ANNOUNCED

Looks like those with fire damage have caught a break with a state agency admitting responsibility for the fire. With this anncouncement, it is more important than ever to be sure to register with the Red Cross and start documenting your losses.

(From Oyster Radio)

State Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam Announces Cause of Eastpoint Wildfire

TALLAHASSEE, Fla.—Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam today announced that, following an investigation led by his Office of Agricultural Law Enforcement, a prescribed burn conducted by Wildland Fire Services, Inc. on behalf of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission caused the wildfire in Eastpoint, which burned more than 800 acres and destroyed 36 homes.

“My heart goes out to those affected by this devastating wildfire, and I thank all of our partners in the response effort to stop the spread of the fire,” stated Commissioner of Agriculture Adam H. Putnam.

The Florida Forest Service led response efforts to contain and extinguish the wildfire with assistance from: the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the Department of Environmental Protection, the Eastpoint Volunteer Fire Department, and other local fire departments.

During the course of the investigation, other possible causes, such as lightning, arson and fire accidentally caused by man, were eliminated.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you

Looks like some money will be getting to those effected a little sooner than later. I hate to think like this but, I wonder how many not effected will try to get something out of this?

June 27, 2018

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- Florida Chief Financial Officer and State Fire Marshal Jimmy Patronis says the state will be assisting the victims of the Eastpoint fire after it was revealed on Wednesday that the wildfire was caused by a controlled burn.

Patronis says he is directing the Division of Risk Management to send adjusters to the area to assist residents with filing a partial settlement claim for up to $5,000 per household for emergency living expenses such as temporary housing, clothing, food or pet care.

Patronis said, “Residents who lost everything shouldn’t have to wait for government bureaucracy. I’ve directed my staff to get boots on the ground to help those impacted to have an expedited track back to normalcy.

He added, “Insurance experts from my office were also in the area this week to assist residents with any claims, and my Division of Investigative and Forensic Services helped officials with structural damage assessments and securing the impacted areas. We will continue working to find ways to help Franklin County recover from this tragedy. Thank you to Sheriff Smith for his leadership and coordination throughout this difficult time.”

The Division of Risk Management will send a team of adjusters to Franklin County Thursday, June 28, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday, June 29, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. They will be stationed at the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office located at 270 FL-65, Eastpoint, Florida.

Officials say residents should bring proof of residency such as a driver license, utility bill or other bills. Those who cannot attend on June 28 or June 29 are asked to call the Division of Risk Management at 850-413-3122 for assistance.

• BodineBodine Senior Member TallahasseePosts: 3,108 Captain
    I am not familiar with the company that did the burns, but I am sure the state requires them to carry a good bit of liability insurance, the state will pick up the rest of the bill. All those folks will end up with new homes, better than what they had and all belongings replaced.
    They will however be inconvenienced for a period of time.
    High pressure and dependable winds are your friend, not June thunderboomer season.
    Like Wrunner said, must have been a bunch of fuel on the ground.
    F the feds