Marathon YT

Went out yesterday and today. Only caught 4 or 5 keepers. Nothing too big. First day in about 80' today was in about 65' and had better action but still slow. Chunking pretty good and using 15lb floro w cut ballyhoo. Anyone having luck with the YT? Lots of boats were out but didn't seem like too many ppl were catching them. Did get one nice mangrove snapper though. 

Replies

• NailerNailer Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Very nice. Thanks for the update.
  • juanna70juanna70 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Keeping an eye on this thread as we are headed down this Friday for a few days. We were really hoping to get into some yellowtail with the kids. Do the yellowtail normally slow down at this time of the year or just a matter of finding a better spot and current conditions? Thanks for any input!
  • tampasportsmantampasportsman Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Went out again today for a little bit around 11 or so. Hit two shallower spots about 25' since we saw a big charter boat Marathon Lady out there doing the same so figured we would give it a go. We had no luck and guessing they had trouble too as they moved 3 times that we saw. 
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 368 Deckhand
    Best bite is at night we do good from 11to1
  • tampasportsmantampasportsman Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Went out tonight and had better luck. Kept getting broken off. Was in about 90' gonna give it another go tomorrow with a bit heavier leader. 
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 193 Deckhand
    You don't need light leaders at night.  Or light line for that matter.  I won't give away all my secrets, but you really shouldn't be getting broken off by yellowtail unless you have bigger fish coming into your chum, which happens.  Your only real problem fishing yellowtail at night is sharks if the fish are a bit away from the boat.  If you have any kind of a bite going, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to get the limit.  With the moon off the keys, I would frequently have big blue runners come into the chum and they would take the baits before the YT, which really sucked.  You can try to cast out past the runners if that happens.  Good luck.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 2,999 Captain
    not enuf current and water 2 clear where i go
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ilive2fishIlive2fish Posts: 248 Deckhand
    keep trying, it changes day to day.....current and 2 chum bags at a time is best for me....
    We finally made it down. Fished in about 90ft and landed a few larger tails. It was a bit chaotic but the kids had a blast! Largest was 23” !
  • jj1987jj1987 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    We killed them Saturday in 80ft of water, even caught a 25in fish.  Went back to the same spot yesterday and couldn't buy a bite.  Went back and forth between Big Pine and Sombrero with no luck.

No current = no yellowtail.  If you don't find current, you're not going to catch Yellowtail in my experience, but I have no idea how to find current...
    @jj1987 Same experience for us today... no current and no fish! So frustrating.
  • WideSpread25WideSpread25 Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Went out tonight and had better luck. Kept getting broken off. Was in about 90' gonna give it another go tomorrow with a bit heavier leader. 
    What kind of knots/connections are you using? Where were you breaking off at? 
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 587 Officer
    how do you anchor without getting it stuck in the reef?
    we need more internet money
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,644 Captain
    You don't  Use a graphnel anchor with a good length of chain rigged to the bottom of the anchor and a trip cord to the anchor shaft so when it gets hung up it will break the trip and retrieve it backwards 
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 587 Officer
    gotcha i do the breakaway anchor for rock jetties but doesnt that tear up the reef?
    we need more internet money
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,644 Captain
    Not if it breaks away 😁
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    We drilled a hole in the wings of our danforth anchor and did the same thing that they do with the rock grappling hook anchors, hasn't failed us yet and worked the way we hoped it would