ARS’ - gun and run

HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer
quick report, just got in from  a gun and run genuine red snapper hunt turned out successful. Left KW on Friday at 2 am in pursuit of ARS and (of course) Mutton snapper. Got to Fort Jefferson sep up camp and we couldn’t get a wink, tent and sleeping bags all ready but the heat coming off the ground on the fort was unbearable, after dragging our feet in the am, we finally made it to our target spots by noon. The seas were flat, clear and motionless, and scorching hot. We made some drifts and some anchor stops, we proceeded to pull our limits on ARS, smallest fish were around 12 lbs. but most going 16+ and topped off with 8-10lbs. Muttons, once we reached our red snapper quota, pulled anchor and made it back to mainland by 6pm Saturday. Couldn’t ask for more. 

Replies

• tltypeslowtltypeslow Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Solid fish Art 
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer
    Solid fish Art 
    The American reds we caught were all trophy size fish, were not finicky, readily took a variety of bait and surely fought harder and longer than any similar size mutton I’ve ever caught, reportedly even better table fare than mutton (if can be such a thing) we fished during the peak of heat index and seas were flat and no current, I can only imagine what the sunset bite with some current movement would have been like, after we caught our limit of ars the muttons had a chance to eat but predictably they were more cautious taking our offerings. We could have loaded on school dolphin as well, they were abundant, the diving birds were a sure giveaway but we decided it was wiser to get back in and call it the day than to put more fish on the boat, no need to put more fish in the freezer, rather catch less, eat fresh fish and leave fish in the water. Red grouper readily took our offerings in shallower bottom, again we made close odservation to limits and regulations, you do not want to be found out of compliance, consequences are nothing to play with. In a week or so going out with Herbert on the Yankee Capts, with a professional crew and all the confort of the YC.
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,030 Captain
    Great days work
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• tltypeslowtltypeslow Posts: 159 Deckhand
    edited June 2018 #5
    I'm still mad I'm not going this years bf trip, but vacation with the family was booked before sending deposits. Good luck out there this year Art 
  • rysherrysher Posts: 381 Deckhand
    nice size reds
  • msk99msk99 Posts: 354 Deckhand
    Wow...great fish!
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain