Bottom fishing, live/dead bait tangling? Tips for multiple lines? (weeds, cant troll)

taymagtaymag Delray Beach, FLPosts: 712 Officer
I troll solo most the time, and with the weeds the last few weeks its impossible even out to 2000', just scattered and thick. I need some help with bottom fishing (or anything other than trolling), bare with me and help a brother out...

- How do you guys keep your lines from tangling when bottom fishing (and I mean both kinds, tangling on itself and tangling on the 2nd line)? I usually run the fish finder / carolina rig and I believe the tangling happens when the line is dropped and the weight outruns the hook/bait (only maybe 10% of the time, but the line is F'ed if it does), and secondly, how do you keep from the 2 lines tangling even after down, heavy current? different size weights?

- Secondly, how do you run live bait without kites? Seems like whenever I did it was 100% chance of tangle lol and its been years since I tried again. I always hear people say they free line a bait but mine always swims back to the boat, even when hooked by the tail where people say they will swim away from the boat. Even then, how do you keep it from swimming down and crossing your bottom bait?

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,220 Officer

Buy a pack of biodegradable balloons and attach one ten feet or so above your live bait. Then you can track its movement and the wind should keep if away from the boat.

Lower live bait weighted rigs slowly to avoid tangles.

Fish with just two lines (one deep and one on top) until you get more proficient.

Giimoozaabi
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,304 Moderator
    If you are fishing braid on your bottom rod, ad a 10' or more top shot of mono for the sinker to slide on, or use swivel sinkers
    Bullet Weight Products

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,625 Captain
    If you are fishing braid on your bottom rod, ad a 10' or more top shot of mono for the sinker to slide on, or use swivel sinkers
    Bullet Weight Products

I’ve never seen those, I like em. I make something similar with ball bearing swivels and 150 lb mono
    You should have been here yesterday
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    I'm not sure what you're allowed and not allowed to do when it comes to rigging.
    The sinker and the rig makes A major difference.

If you need more line in the hooks. You snell the hook and tie A perfection loop to the obvious end.
    Then it's A loop to loop connection to the dropper. Using straight leader is the key to the rig. The
    icing on the cake is an over hand between the lead and the first hook. If you happen to get hung
    up and the fish burryed in the piece. The over hand is our week point and that's where it should break
    off and up comes everything else.

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
    I'm not sure what you're allowed and not allowed to do when it comes to rigging.
    The sinker and the rig makes A major difference.

If you need more line in the hooks. You snell the hook and tie A perfection loop to the obvious end.
    Then it's A loop to loop connection to the dropper. Using straight leader is the key to the rig. The
    icing on the cake is an over hand between the lead and the first hook. If you happen to get hung
    up and the fish burryed in the piece. The over hand is our week point and that's where it should break
    off and up comes everything else.

You always to be in contact. YOU CAN'T DEAD STICK!
  • XafXaf Posts: 997 Officer
    edited June 24 #9
    You don't say how deep you are fishing or what you are fishing for but here are a couple general tips:

If you are fishing a chicken rig as shown above it is hard to fish two lines on the bottom.  If I wanted to fish two lines on the bottom I would use a sliding sinker with a single hook on each setup.

I don't like the the swivel sinkers shown because I believe the fish can feel them as soon as they pick up the bait.  I prefer a sliding sinker which allows the fish to take line with less resistance. If I were to use a swivel sinker I would have 2-3 feet of line between the swivels  to allow some slack before the fish feel the sinker.

If you're tangling on the way down, you are dropping too fast.  The weight causes a U in the line then the two lines get twisted together.  Couple ways to prevent this, thumb the spool and let the line down slowly letting the weight pull the line off the reel.  The other way is to stop the line from descending every few seconds until you feel your weight bottom out on your swivel, then let more line out.  Once you hit bottom take up any slake until you feel the weight lifting off the bottom, then let out just enough line that you feel the weight reach the bottom.   

You don't want the weight to bounce off the bottom so you have to constantly let line out or take line.  This makes it tough to fish two lines on the bottom but it can be done.  I would reel one line up a couple cranks off the bottom so it's not bouncing off the bottom (make sure you have the clicker on and the reel out of gear) and hold the other line. [ I have a fishing buddy who fishes his line this way all the time and catches a lot of fish. He sits down drinking a beverage and lets the fish hook itself. ]  Unless the boat is swinging wildly back and forth or you are using live bait, lines on opposite sides of the boat should not get tangled.

Unless there is no current you should be able to fish a live bait on a top water line.  You need to let enough line out so the current is keeping the fish from swimming back to the boat or use a balloon as suggested above.  If you don't want your bait swimming right on top of the water (especially where birds are a problem) you might need to use a small sliding weight on your line.  The size depends on size of the bait and current.  If you aren't using a balloon or float of some sort, you need to check the line fairly often to make sure the bait has not swam to the bottom.  Which isn't all bad, I've caught a lot of snapper on a top water line that sank down to the bottom.

Hope this helps.  
    It's Parrot fish.

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,121 Officer
    We do need more info.  

You can run a line to the bottom and drift a live or dead bait further out off the back of the boat - nothing will get tangled.

You can run 2 bottom rods straight down off each corner of transom - won't tangle.

Running 2 live baits off back and drifting you might tangle but you could put a 1 or 2 oz sliding sinker on one and let the other free line - 2 diff depths, harder to tangle.  You also have to put the baits at different distances from the boat.

Or you can try slow trolling - 2,3,4 live baits out, put motor in and out of gear, just enough to keep the baits from tangling.  You can do the balloon thing or use some cheap styrofoam floats to track your baits.  After a while you'll figure out what it means when you line lays a given way.