Snapper weekend roll call

AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 62 Greenhorn
Who's headed out this weekend, and what port will you make your venture? I am launching from Carrabelle and will be in about 65 -70'.

Replies

• AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 62 Greenhorn
    By the way I will be @ Fathoms and, or Pirates Landing for cocktails Saturday night if anyone's around the first drinks on me!!
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,253 Moderator
    If I wasn't 6 hours away, I'd take you up on that. :)
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,931 Captain
    Go catch 'em up!
    you got this!
    God, save the South!
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,186 AG
    Heading out of Cbelle in the morning. Not sure how far out we'll get. The weather will dictate that. Still should be able to get keeper snaps though.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,644 Captain
    Won't be there til Sunday week, but will make the most of the week we are there.  If anyone is around Cbelle, give a shout.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,101 Captain
    By the way I will be @ Fathoms and, or Pirates Landing for cocktails Saturday night if anyone's around the first drinks on me!!
    That’s a sweet offer. Good luck to you. I got 2 good days of snapper fishing last week. Sightfishing close by inshore tomorrow 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,264 Captain
    Good luck. Just got off phone with parts vender that fishes in Pensacola. He not going till Tuesday, said it is blowing hard and too much for his 22 footer
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 650 Officer
    Well it's blowing hard enough to gently rock my 22,000 pound RV right now. Just sayin. 
    It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 992 Officer
    Ought to be a rough ride out to 65'.  Safe travels to all going.  Sunday afternoon maybe up my ally.
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Micci and I put in at Timber Island this morning. We peaked around the end of Dog Island and pretty quickly settled into an inshore frame of mind! The wind never let up and even seemed to pick up as the day went on.
    Micci and I put in at Timber Island this morning. We peaked around the end of Dog Island and pretty quickly settled into an inshore frame of mind! The wind never let up and even seemed to pick up as the day went on.

Any bite to speak of?
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    You know Micci was in 'em!
    God, save the South!
    Nope, caught several fish but only 2 keepers for the box. Bottomtime's younger son had a blast though.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 599 Officer
    I’m going tomorrow (Monday). Hope it’s calmer by then. This west wind has eaten more than a week of snapper fishing time.  I need calm to get my 20’ Boat out there. Last I went I got beaten to submission. 
    EJ
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 585 Officer
    We got out last Saturday. Rough in the morning but settled down a bit in the afternoon. Did not find any snappers of good size in 60-70'. Made the run out to 90 and were justly rewarded.
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
    Yes, it appears the snaps have made their way to cooler waters.
    That's a cruel way to have an open season.
    God, save the South!
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,616 Captain
    Yep the storms were pretty bad opening day and could not get deep enough to find the snapper.  Heard some one on the radio talking about a 31 footer that sank out there, ya'll hear anything on that?
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 599 Officer
    Report from yesterday:
    Seas 1-3’, mostly closely spaced swells. Could run at 25 mph, so that was fine. Water temp 82 at the surface. Didn’t stop to catch pins, and dead bait worked fine. One spot, 20 miles MOL from east pass. Marked with a buoy and drifted in 77’. Caught 15 or 20 slightly undersized gags and red grouper, and three legal red snapper. Kept the biggest tw, right at 26” and 20”, plus some sea bass. 
    Headed home at 11:30 since it didn’t look like I would catch a legal grouper. 

Pretty good day all around. But hot.  Water nice blue green offshore, some smoke from the East Point Fire. 

EJ

Regarding the boat in distress that I am aware of, was a Mayday called in around noon of vessel taking on water 14 miles south of St George Island. I did learn some things from this radio call and will share while this is on topic. I was approx 5 miles from the Mayday position but could not pin down exact location of vessel and here is why. When the coordinates was sent over radio it was a single description of location and was not repeated. The coordinates were said fast and only one time by the captain of the vessel. My Garmin is not touch screen so it takes a couple of minutes to punch in coordinates and was only able to guess his location. The good news on this hail was that there was multiple boats around him to aid in his vessel taking on water and got him on plane (I'm guessing) to push water to the stern and allow the bilge to assist and made it back to the docks in Carrabelle. Please if you have the time, repeat your coordinates as many times as possible because this is the last known position to anyone not named the Coast Guard, and their waiting for satellites to line up for your EPIRP location which is not immediate. There also was a vessel overturned and and they were on drift for three hours             ( Saturday) until someone saw them waving in the water and came to pick them up. This also was out of Cbelle. Always have your radio up and be on the look out......
    I will state though that the vessel taking on water attempted to make it back to docks but never heard of it did or not so this maybe the 31' MelMan maybe in reference to.

We heard the CG talking to a boat Saturday that was taking on water 14 miles off St. George. Couldn't hear the capt of the boat talking, only CG. Has to be the one Anchorbait is talking about because another boat assisted and got him under way and they called CG off for stand by. They did report to CG that they made it in safe.

Things can and do happen quick out there. Be safe. 

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,118 Captain
    edited June 27 #24
    micci_man said:

Things can and do happen quick out there. Be safe. 

Especially when it's as rough as it was on Saturday. I've not ventured offshore in the bay boat but we did fish Saturday and it was certainly sporty as the water got deeper nearshore. We managed 6 trout (lost 4-6 others boat side between the three of us) with one dink at 15.5" and the rest were 17-24". Also got a first for me, a first for my boat and a first for the forum member that caught it (TeamOutlaw) in a 18.5" Triple Tail
    I've never caught a triple tail. Do they fight hard? 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    edited June 27 #26
    I've never caught a triple tail. Do they fight hard? 
    Looked like they did. I was up in the tower when Ben hooked him. Caught him on trout gear and looked like fun. So technically my boat has now caught one but I've never personally landed one.

Up on the tower?? What boat did you get?

They do pull the line good.

• The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,616 Captain
    The Boat I heard about sinking was on opening day, a Monday.  
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
    micci_man said:

Up on the tower?? What boat did you get?

22' Blazer Bay. Has a fold down second station up top on the tower
    Nice boat. Congratulations.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
    I'm headed out tomorrow, I'll have a Carrabelle report with depth and general locations on Thursday for those headed out over the upcoming weekend. Anyone else rolling out to spear/hook and line?