6/20 pe

Played hooky from work went trolling started catching small dolphin and then long rigger gets slammed and the reel was screaming after about 2 mins gone then the beast show himself 2oolb plus blue marlin jumping like crazy then started greyhounding wish i could have grabbed the bill hopefully next time. fish ate yellow and black illander in 800 next to big weed patch.

Replies

• rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 606 Officer
    Man in blue showed for you. How long was he on for?
  • The ParkerThe Parker Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    Just a few mins but man it made my whole day didnt care if i caught another fish that day. I couldnt slow him down i raised the drag to full and he didnt even pause a second just kept going never had a fish take so much drag so fast
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,431 Captain
    Just a few mins but man it made my whole day didnt care if i caught another fish that day. I couldnt slow him down i raised the drag to full and he didnt even pause a second just kept going never had a fish take so much drag so fast
    When hooked up to a Blue, I've seen the tournament guys do two things. Once the drag is set, (line still spooling out) The Cappy usually turns the boat in the direction of the greyhounding Marlin, but in a wide arc.  The angler still puts the heat on the fish recovering line when able. If you crank down the drag, you'll lose the fish every time. Those fish are too powerful to outgun them with drag. I've watched this done on 30 lb. monofilament, and a leadered fish at the boat! It's a cool thing to see. Especially when they start greyhounding all over the place. One guy on the throttles helping the angler is the only way to get it done... and a lot of luck.
    Congrats on your hookup!  Wish I could have seen it. 

Pura Vida!
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,453 Officer
    Hooking a blue is exciting but not the one we
    got last year was a beast 4 hour fight on light
     tackle.