Reel for beach fishing

irishff727irishff727 Posts: 948 Officer
hey guys, I’m having a custom rod built for fishing the beaches for snook and tarponand whatever else I may come across 9’ custom 15-25lb class rod able to handle 3/4oz to 4 oz bait. I’ll mainly be tossing flair hawks crystal minnows and spooltecs. Look for a rod 25-30 lb braid. Looking for a reel sealed preferred with ability to hold at least 250 yards of 25-30 lbs looking at Daiwa BG 4500 penn slammer III or Saltist. Any others you would recommend other than a Van Staal on Stella not dropping that kind of coin yet 
time enjoyed wasted is not wasted time

Replies

• IjigIjig Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Saragossa all day
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 640 Officer
    daiwa BG, penn spinfisher, never tried owned one but fished a few cabo's and looking to get one next 
    we need more internet money
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    You get what you pat for. Either way you're not wrong.

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
    Where did you get that Idea from?

McFly!

It was over your head in one minute and gone the next.
    Everyday at noon it would pass over head. If you weren’t use to it you’d have to plug your ears with your fingers. The whole place would tremble.

• Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,332 Officer
    I have owned a ton of reels doing exactly the type of fishing you are describing and a staal is the one and only reel I use anymore. I realize they are expensive, but after going through a couple of the middle of the road reels I realized I could have just gotten a staal for what the others have costed me.
    edited August 13 #8
    I can't tell you how long and how many fish I caught with this reel Before I bought A staal.

After two years. This is what Broke. I think it cost like .25 cents at the time.
    I only fished it with 12 pound mono.

When I fished off of A party boat for blues. This is all I ever used.
    I only spooled the reel with 30 pound mono.

This is what I had to replace after filling up barrels of fish. At the time there were no regs for blues.

drag stack

The VS is A specialty reel with excellent breaking power and smooooth drag system.
    Combined with A 1 piece  11"M GSB. This A Montauk sharpies necessity. Being perched
    up on a boulder and casting to and working the large in between many other pieces of
    rock work that's when the real is appreciated and loved. Stoping and turning power.
    You get knocked down by A wave, lose your footing. Finally get back to where you were
    and the reel didn't loose A bit of performance while being dumped, dunked and
    everything another reel you wouldn't even attempt on thinking to do. Fishing is for
    everyone. A VS  . . . . . . ;)
    ver·sa·til·i·ty
    ˌvərsəˈtilədē/
    noun
    1. ability to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.

It has A centrifugal breaking system.  Gear ratios,  drag adjustments, mag upgrades. It performs with no issues right out the box and A more than adequate boat reel. It fly lines beautiful, it jigs very good and drops for ground fishing with no issues. They don't make it anymore. We hired someone else. What did they replace it with?
    Carl had a second love which was fishing. Perhaps he was highly passionate about fishing because it was his lifetime hobby and ultimately became a business endeavor. Carl credits his strong interest in fishing to Harry Sheets, a neighbor of the family. As a young boy, Carl repeatedly watched Leonard load up his car with rods and fishing gear and leave for an outing. It appeared to Carl that such activity could be fun so he became acquainted with Mr. Sheets. As Carl had suspected, Harry asked him to go fishing and this began his love affair with fishing. When he couldn’t go withHarry, Carl would get a few friends together and they would hike to local lakes and reservoirs to go fishing as teenagers. 

This keen interest ultimately caused him to want to make reels perform with better performance than when they were originally manufactured. As a result, he began making upgrade kits for Penn Reels in the 1960s and early 1970s. He had found a nitch market that was to propel him directly into manufacturing his own fishing reel. He believed that if he could make significant improvements in other brand reels, it would be possible to make his own reel with a little more effort. By this time in his life, he had found another challenge which he immensely enjoyed…saltwater fishing. It was in this saltwater environment that he knew there was a lot more to learn and understand about fishing that had not really been explored in depth in terms of reels, line, and rods.

But that's A different manufacturer.

Give it to Vito. His parents eat them.

http://www.cals2speed.com/

• GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 104 Deckhand
    Saragossa and BG is going to be a little heavy for the 9ft rod - Shimano Sustain or Stradic in a 6000 size with a quality braid in 25 - 30lb - the best casting braid i found to date - its expensive but the best, is this https://www.gticecream.com/online-store/gosen-japanese-braid/ or if you need a more budget friendly braid then get this https://www.gticecream.com/online-store/braid-grinder-8x-and-4x/ - make sure you get 8 strand braid.

You will have sufficient space on the 6000 size reels for 250yards

I fish with an 11ft rod purely so i can cast alot further than with my 9

• Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 60 Greenhorn
    Penn slammer
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 261 Deckhand
    I have both the Daiwa BG and the Daiwa Saltist, they are absolutely tremendous reels!I love my saltist more though. Its light weight, smooth, holds a lotta line and has decent drag strength and with a price tag of 200 its not a bad deal. I think the best bang for your buck is the Saltist.
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 166 Deckhand
    GeeTee said:
    Saragossa and BG is going to be a little heavy for the 9ft rod - Shimano Sustain or Stradic in a 6000 size with a quality braid in 25 - 30lb - the best casting braid i found to date - its expensive but the best, is this https://www.gticecream.com/online-store/gosen-japanese-braid/ or if you need a more budget friendly braid then get this https://www.gticecream.com/online-store/braid-grinder-8x-and-4x/ - make sure you get 8 strand braid.

You will have sufficient space on the 6000 size reels for 250yards

I fish with an 11ft rod purely so i can cast alot further than with my 9

Why would a Saragossa be too big for a 9' rod?