They have an entire ocean, yet they troll within casting distance...

eareeyeseeeareeyesee Posts: 32 Greenhorn
I've only been Miami offshore fishing for a year (so maybe I just don't understand the local protocol), but I'm dumbfounded by how many times I'm 5+ miles offshore drifting on a tiny patch of weed and some jacka** comes trolling past within casting distance. Where I'm from, that wouldn't even be acceptable in a pond. I understand that wreck fishing is a different situation (though personally I'd rather hit a different spot than fish in a parking lot), but when I'm in 1000 feet of featureless ocean, I can't see a single justifiable reason for another boat to be that close...yet it keeps happening.

Clearly they're trying to drive-by and poach the school of dolphin they think I'm on, but most the time I'm not even on fish, I just stopped to clean some weeds off a trolling line or maybe throw a couple casts / chunks at a patch. It's not just a weekend thing either, I usually fish M-F. Thinking bout keeping a heavy speed jig rigged just to lob at these a**holes...or is that just acceptable practice??

Replies

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 302 Deckhand
    Welcome to South Florida...it is what it is! :(

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,556 Captain
    Welcome to S. Florida.
     I deep drop more than fish for Dolphin but get bombarded by trollers because I am stopped. I remember 40 years ago when there were a lot fewer boats and if a boat was on a school of Dolphin, they would actually call you over to share the abundant resource. The resource isn't as abundant today and many are fighting over a few "peanuts". 
    It isn't going to change, you just have to get used to it.
    Good luck and welcome to the forum as I see you are fairly new here.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• eareeyeseeeareeyesee Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    It's not like I'm concerned with them scaring away fish or "stealing" a school. It's just you drive way out into the ocean to get away from people, and then somebody drives within 50 ft of you. It's a very peculiar situation.
    And it's usually a group of guys in a big fancy CC that obviously know better, but just don't care.

On the otherhand, one time I was trolling solo in about 750 off of haulover and slowed down to idle to retrieve a fouled line. Meanwhile I'm watching a boat heading directly for me for a few miles. Eventually he gets so close that it's obvious he is going to run right over the trolling lines I still had out, so I had to punch it to barely get them out of his path. Then he hooks around me and starts to drop anchor...until he of course he runs right out of rode without hitting bottom lol
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 385 Deckhand
    I'm not disagreeing. There's always that majority rules law.
    If 6 boats are trolling and one isn't you're obviously going to have an issue.
    If you have fish at the weed line and working them, than that's obviously
    A different story.
    Think about it.
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Wait till lobster mini season. You can go out to 300' of water and put up a dive flag and ten boats will show up in 5 minutes, regardless of how deep it is.
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    You also need to learn the official greeting for fishing off Miami when people troll right up on you. You  wave and shout to them oye Marty Cohen chupa!
    edited June 19 #10
    When I'm miles offshore, and I can hit your boat with a 4 oz jig launched from my 10' surf-casting gog rod,...YOU ARE TOO CLOSE...oops,...SORRY!  B)

...and if that doesn't deter I'll consider you a Somali pirate and bring out my heavy artillery which will require you to have a really good bilge pump!  ;)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

This ones better.
    Yeah but I was there first. Then I decided to start to troll and
    that's when another guy jumped in my grave and started drifting
    the weed line.

There both wish'n fish. ;)

• relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 505 Officer
    Just remove your cowling, they will stay away
    That's sadly funny, sad but true.
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 576 Officer
    edited June 19 #14
    Sometimes you encounter courteous fisherman who keep their distance. If you’re on a line I remind myself that another boat is trying to catch fish and stay on a line - just like me. Distance for some varies. It’s a perception. 

This is dania cut off canal. It speaks volumes to a few of the boats. When you go out, this is who you are going out with. I try to be a reflective fisherman 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,237 Admiral
    Just remove your cowling, they will stay away
    100% true.   They come up on you just try to flag them down and point to your motor, they'll scurry away quick.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 231 Deckhand
    Quit telling everybody up north how nice it is in Florida. It is getting to crowded all over Florida. Close the gates to Florida. :)LOL
    I'm not disagreeing. There's always that majority rules law.
    If 6 boats are trolling and one isn't you're obviously going to have an issue.
    If you have fish at the weed line and working them, than that's obviously
    A different story.
    Think about it.
    Is it that big of an imposition to deviate slightly off a weedline to pass outside of casting range of another fisherman? I always give a huge berth. And I'm not even talking about the 1st major weedline at the color change where there's alot of traffic. I'm talking small isolated patches well offshore. 
    edited June 20 #18
    Is it that big of an imposition to deviate slightly off a weedline to pass outside of casting range of another fisherman? I always give a huge berth. And I'm not even talking about the 1st major weedline at the color change where there's alot of traffic. I'm talking small isolated patches well offshore. 
    Evidently there is a growing number of 'poor sports' out there contributing our culture's drift away from its moorings.....

Get ready for 'boat rage' on the wrecks and weed lines! >:)
    But don't worry, our 2nd Amendment is holding fast...thank you NRA!  :)  

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 956 Officer
    I've only been Miami offshore fishing for a year (so maybe I just don't understand the local protocol), but I'm dumbfounded by how many times I'm 5+ miles offshore drifting on a tiny patch of weed and some jacka** comes trolling past within casting distance. Where I'm from, that wouldn't even be acceptable in a pond. I understand that wreck fishing is a different situation (though personally I'd rather hit a different spot than fish in a parking lot), but when I'm in 1000 feet of featureless ocean, I can't see a single justifiable reason for another boat to be that close...yet it keeps happening.

Clearly they're trying to drive-by and poach the school of dolphin they think I'm on, but most the time I'm not even on fish, I just stopped to clean some weeds off a trolling line or maybe throw a couple casts / chunks at a patch. It's not just a weekend thing either, I usually fish M-F. Thinking bout keeping a heavy speed jig rigged just to lob at these a**holes...or is that just acceptable practice??
    Here’s how to handle this situation.... Politely wave as they pass , then tie your softest spinning rod to a boat cleat and make the rod double over! Have your buddy grab the gaff and hoot and holler for effect! When they turn back towards you put everything down and act like nothing happened..... repeat this process as soon as they turn away, and see how many times they fall for it!.....Enjoy the show!😁

Here’s how to handle this situation.... Politely wave as they pass , then tie your softest spinning rod to a boat cleat and make the rod double over! Have your buddy grab the gaff and hoot and holler for effect! When they turn back towards you put everything down and act like nothing happened..... repeat this process as soon as they turn away, and see how many times they fall for it!.....Enjoy the show!😁
    In Jacksonville they get on the radio and hollar "Man we're slaying em in 400' out here on this weedline."  When all the boats monitoring the channel take off and head out, you calmly fish where you are. with plenty of space. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

A school of Mahi Mahi schooling under A floating log to avoid predation.

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,095 AG
    Megaphone (Big and bright RED)

Point in direction of  idiot

"This is an NSA vessel. ALL data of ALL persons aboard is now being downloaded to our Top Secret Cloud.  Please consider another course away from this vessel...... Your choice."
  • jhedgjhedg Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    I know what you mean I was fishing some flats and not another boater in sight this guy comes flying by me 10ft away, not even in a channel, i figured maybe he was going to fish the area, no just keeps riding, miles, and miles of open water with a channel he could of taken, but no fly right by me, just do not get it unless he just wanted to be a ****
    jhedg said:
    I know what you mean I was fishing some flats and not another boater in sight this guy comes flying by me 10ft away, not even in a channel, i figured maybe he was going to fish the area, no just keeps riding, miles, and miles of open water with a channel he could of taken, but no fly right by me, just do not get it unless he just wanted to be a ****
    They just want to be a ****
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 587 Officer
    had a bunch of that in tampa bay last weekend....we were fishing outside of the skyway channel and no other boats around and the occasional one that would come by would be inside of 20 yards!

also fishing off the beach on anchor and had one guy full plane come almost within 15 yards and when we threw are hands up he looked pissed **** we had out live bait, was almost hoping he ran one over to give him the ol 300 yards on the prop special
    we need more internet money
    Sure I've told this story but still funny, my sister was fishing the north jetty out of Ponce, probably 50 yards off, not too close, some jackwagon decides he's gonna cut between their boat and the jetty.   Grounds up on the rocks, breaks the lower unit off, and he's sitting there bouncing up and down with the waves like a teeter totter.   Of course my sister breaks out laughing and breaks out the camera, I don't think i've got the pictures anymore but it was instant Karma and that is a beautiful thing to behold. 
  • reelthunderreelthunder Posts: 133 Deckhand
    It  always amazes me you can be all a lone get hooked up turn your head for 30 seconds look back and there are 5 boat on top of you beats the hell out of me where did they come from 30 seconds before the wasn't a soul to see on the water . My advise get used to it and fish fast when the fish are on you then move.  
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,478 Admiral
    had a bunch of that in tampa bay last weekend....we were fishing outside of the skyway channel and no other boats around and the occasional one that would come by would be inside of 20 yards!

also fishing off the beach on anchor and had one guy full plane come almost within 15 yards and when we threw are hands up he looked pissed **** we had out live bait, was almost hoping he ran one over to give him the ol 300 yards on the prop special

I always turn around and give it back to them...
    Most don't want it back but it's the right thing to do.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Bottom LinesBottom Lines Posts: 1,102 Officer
    Years ago, back in my younger/drinking days, we were in a nice school and a boat ran right up on top of us.  I mean RIGHT up on top of us.  I lost my temper, grabbed one of the schoolies we had just caught, and yelled, "hey, you want these fish that bad?  Effn TAKE ONE!!!"  Then I threw the schoolie at them and hit the side of their boat with it.  They got the picture and took off...LOL... Nowadays I just let it go...
  • spear40spear40 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    30 years ago we were in our little 16ft anchored at Alligator Light in Islamorada and we we’re on a school of dolphin.  I was with my Dad and a friend at the time.  A party boat from Whale Harbor saw us and pulled up by us and literally drifted over our anchor line.  After yelling some profanities to the captain, and the captain yelling at me telling me to “shut up son”, my Dad got pissed.  He said pull anchor.  He started boat and before I knew it he ran parallel to the party boat about 10-15 ft away, and after about 30 seconds I noticed a bunch of people with bent over rods yellling stop.  My Dad kept on going. I can’t imagine how many got spooled on the boat.  I laughed all the way back to the ramp.
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 67 Greenhorn

Clearly they're trying to drive-by and poach the school of dolphin they think I'm on, but most the time I'm not even on fish, I just stopped to clean some weeds off a trolling line or maybe throw a couple casts / chunks at a patch. It's not just a weekend thing either,  fish M-F. Thinking bout keeping a heavy speed jig rigged just to lob at these a**holes...or is that just acceptable practice??
    Been there suffered that too many times to get upset anymore, just this past july 4 i was adrift in  a good weed line for about one hour just picking up under sized phins to tag and release 3 big sport fishing boats for hire were trolling along the line but i guess that since they saw me drifting they just changed course and went to the other side of the line not this he just feel the to troll between the weed line and me.