Mangos and Special Agent Barney

elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 260 Deckhand
Went out today with the hopes of honing my kingfishing skills. Gave a half-**** look for pogies, didn't find any. Pulled some plugs in the southeast hole, no takers. Said heck with it and ran out to Pablo grounds. Trolled the same non fish catching plugs for a few minutes and made the call to bottom fish. Only problem my dumb rearend did not bring any bait. Fortunate for me a had a sabiki. I jig up some of the finest baby grunts one could wish for and headed offshore. 
I ran out to a spot in 80 ft of water and anchor up. Drop down grunt one, wham hook up and cut off. Grunt two goes down, hook up and get it off the bottom. I am praying to not see red. Look down and it is a nice juicy mango. Net him throw him in the boat and let out a loud **** Rick flair whew!!! No sooner then this transpires here comes a boat barreling down on me, the Fwc. I don't give a rats behind, got a nice mango and that is it. 
They pull up and this is where it gets interesting, I look at the boat and there are two officers one was your average Joe fwc guy and the other was Special Agent Barney in all his glory. Barney tells me to immediately open ever hatch on the boat, I do and I report that I have a nice mango that I just caught. Barney proceeds to snoop around looking for the elusive red snapper. When Barney looks in my fish box, boy does he lick his chops, Barney looks at me, serious as a freaking heart attack and tells me that is a red snapper and they are out of season. I was looking for a hidden camera because there is no way that this clown could think that is a red snapper , plus they are extinct. I look at Barney and Barney looks at me and I say, no that is a mangrove snapper and they are in season. Barney thinks for a second and gives me a look like sure, then Barney thought I was had. The next question with a smug look like I was going to be caught red handed, well what is the limit on your "mangrove" snapper. Does this clown not know the limit? I thought about being a wise **** but I did not want to **** Barney off, ten inches I tell the officer. Barney looks again at me, super serious, well did you measure it? Are you F#cking kidding me? I told Barney that that fish is 8 lbs and clearly legal. Barney ponders it for a minute then begrudgingly asks me again if I measured it, I tell Barney that there is a ruler right there if you so desire . Barney was peeved because I got the upper hand this time and went on to bust other people's chops. 
I could not believe that these are the people the Fwc employs, they cannot tell the difference between a mango and a red. Give me a break. I ended up catching one more mango and headed in shaking my head at the stupidity. These must be the same people in charge of the Russia investigation.  

Replies

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,674 Captain
    I had something similar happen years ago at the Mayport boat ramp. They jumped out of an unmarked car, and it was collaboration of big wigs w/ the Marine Patrol, FWC, and a Federal agency. There were 5 of them, and they didn't know a red snapper from a mango, or scamp from a gag. They thought they had busted me big time! They eventually broke out a fish identification book, and the state law book. They knew they looked stupid....Me and my crew drove off shaking our heads.

I will say this, every encounter I've had w/ the FWC in recent years has been courteous and professional!
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Wow. The ones who are supposed to enforce the laws don't even know it. Most of em are cool guys but it only takes one to ruin it for everyone. Every agency has them. Sorry you had to deal with that, but you handled it the right way I think.  
    Sounds like you got yourself a nice little mango hole!!!  Nice work!
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,388 Captain
    I've had the same thing happen. FWC officer did not know certain species...I had to tell them
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 260 Deckhand
    I had friends who were FWC officers. The pay blows, the job is not easy so I try to cooperate as much as possible. My problem lies with the fact that how can you not differentiate a mango and a red snapper. It is not like I had almaco Jack's when AJ are out of season or a black snapper vs. a red snapper, very similar. I was nice when she immediately said that is a red snapper it is out of season . Then to follow up with do you know the size limit, yes I do. Did you measure it? C'mon lady. I am going back out to Tuesday to lay the smack down on the mangos and hopefully if they board me again they will know the difference. BTW j wrote the fwc and they gave me the standard, we are sorry you had a negative experience with one of officers email.... 
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 251 Deckhand
    We were hunting 12 mile swamp WMA years ago and they “pulled” out my friends Dad who was upper 80’s at that time. He was removed from a truck in a nasty storm when I asked the officer if the older man could sit in my truck so he wouldn’t get wet and chilled, I was told to shut my mouth. Ever since that day, my attitude toward FWC has been a very negative one. 
    2013 Xpress H-18 115 Yamaha
    Camo'd out to hide from the fish better:cool:
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,137 Officer
    Had a female FWC officer jump on boat and look at our catch.   She immediately grabbed a lobster and said it had eggs.   I kindly showed her it was a male lobster.  Then pulled out a female to show her the difference.   She said because it was orange she thought it was eggs.     HOW CAN YOU ENFORCE LAWS WITH THIS TYPE OF IGNORANCE.    

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,324 Admiral
    I don't even want to begin with my experiences with them when I was a kid in the Keys. I always had the last laugh along with the veteran officers that would let the rookies make a fool of themselves. I had one strip to his underwear and dive in the water because I had a chum bag halfway up my anchor line and he thought I was hiding crawfish. I told them it got tangled and I didn't feel like undoing it and the old guy winked at me and let the rookie do his thing. 25 years ago, before most didn't know what a Snowy was, I got pulled over and checked for Crawfish and the officer asked if I speared them. I said yes from my submarine.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Another Day at The DockAnother Day at The Dock Posts: 135 Deckhand
    Last summer I got boarded 4 trips in a row, every time was while I was either catching bait out of the inlet or heading out lol. They got on one time and opened my livewell and were looking around at the pogies as if they had to be a certain size. Priceless
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,458 Admiral
    YEP....That was a Special Agent Barney Trainee....for sure !!

I told yall he was back...........that's why you carry a heavy duty sharpie with you....to make all red snapper into Muttons !!

...."hey, they got the dot"....
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,359 AG
    Did he tell you those hands were lethal weapons?    I hear he boxed glitter gloves back at Mayberry tech. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    not red snapper
  • M1ke44M1ke44 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    edited June 2018 #14
    Every profession has its share of "tools".  Just smile, wave and laugh later.  Don't get so bent that it ruins your trip.  I know many of these guys and I promise you, if you called for help they would be the first to lend a hand.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,359 AG
    M1ke44 said:
    Every profession has its share of "tools".  Just smile, wave and laugh later.  Don't get so bent that it ruins your trip.  I know many of these guys and I promise you, if you called for help they would be the first to lend a hand.  
    That is much appreciated and I have a healthy respect for LEOS of all kinds But if they don't know the difference between those two fish, I mean I want to say "I'm south of point X" and not worry that they're going to be going in the opposite direction to help me.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Wow that is crazy.  Who is paying these guys to chase you down and search your boat for this fish?
    Wow that is crazy.  Who is paying these guys to chase you down and search your boat for this fish?

Exactly   ever since they were given jurisdiction under homeland security they have to try to justify the money they receive.  They are wasting gas money to justify their big boats and budgets.   (Would rather they pay a higher wage and retain good officers)  I have always stated, 1 small boat with a dog for fish would solve poaching by the masses cheaper and quicker than anything.    That would mean using common sense and not wasting millions of dollars.   So it will never happen!

Before you hire Morrocco Madness,  Please understand he is a crazy Trump hating liberal.

1 boat with dog at inlet, problem solved.    Under 20 gallons burned per day!

• greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    osprey11 said:

Exactly   ever since they were given jurisdiction under homeland security they have to try to justify the money they receive.  They are wasting gas money to justify their big boats and budgets.   (Would rather they pay a higher wage and retain good officers)  I have always stated, 1 small boat with a dog for fish would solve poaching by the masses cheaper and quicker than anything.    That would mean using common sense and not wasting millions of dollars.   So it will never happen!
    Yup, and the answer to my question is.....we are.
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 614 Officer
    Do you really want a dog climbing all over your boat every time you go out.
    I don't even want my own dog climbing all over my boat.
    Guilty until proven innocent. 

Just common sense.    Burn thousands of dollars in gas to disrupt the act of fishing on the water.   While effectively only hitting a small portion of boats out there.   Just the knowledge of a boat at inlet would stop the majority of poaching.     You would rather have to stop fishing,   have a boat to boat transfer at sea in conditio0ns, and have a bunch of barneys on board?       But lets not kid ourselves it is about their budget not snapper!!

• model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,034 Officer
    "I look at Barney and Barney looks at me and I say, no that is a mangrove snapper and they are in season. Barney thinks for a second and gives me a look like sure, then Barney thought I was had. The next question with a smug look like I was going to be caught red handed, well what is the limit on your "mangrove" snapper. Does this clown not know the limit? I thought about being a wise **** but I did not want to **** Barney off, ten inches I tell the officer. Barney looks again at me, super serious, well did you measure it? Are you F#cking kidding me? I told Barney that that fish is 8 lbs and clearly legal. Barney ponders it for a minute then begrudgingly asks me again if I measured it, I tell Barney that there is a ruler right there if you so desire . Barney was peeved because I got the upper hand this time and went on to bust other people's chops."

What am I missing? Isn't the federal waters size limit on Gray/Mangrove 12", state10" ? Maybe I am misreading the regs, but I'm fishing the river tomorrow and I want to be sure in case Barney checks me out.
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    You are right. State is 10. Fed is 12. 

The irony being the officer making a big deal about measuring a fish that is clearly over the legal minimum. 

Catchem up
    Shut Up and Fish
  • pnj2108pnj2108 Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    not red snapper
    are you sure :D:p smh FWC
    Wonder if Barney is trying to collect fecal samples from our friend Corrine in jail?