Pulling the trigger on a Contender 24s

sgonzalez812sgonzalez812 Florida Posts: 5 Greenhorn
Hello everyone, I am about to "pulli the trigger" on a new Contender 24S (300hp), my fishing is mainly done with me and my three kids, in intercoastal waters and some 10 mile offshore fishing...does someone think that I am making a mistake? Recommendations? 

Replies

• shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Go for it best quality time you can spend with your kids.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    Have fun putting a 5 gallon bucket in any compartment. Its a great sand bar boat.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • LMKLMK Posts: 567 Officer
    That is exciting!!!!!
    Love that boat and like shamrock said it is the best time you can spend with your kids. You never get time back so you have to use it. 
  • sandy1147sandy1147 Posts: 146 Deckhand
    Go for it. If I could right now I'd be on it in a second. Time goes too fast and you only get one chance to make memories!
  • sgonzalez812sgonzalez812 Florida Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks to all, sea trial is tomorrow
  • starzofchaosstarzofchaos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    What other brand of boats have you looked at in size range? Contenders... my two cents... are just fishing boats, not really geared towards families, plus you are just paying a premium for a name. If you are planning on mostly staying inshore; I would look into a bay boat in the 24 foot size. You can still run off shore easily in a bay. I've done 20 mils out on a 22ft bay on 2-3ft seas. Yellowfin make a excellent 24ft, so does Sea Pro and Tidewater. 
    I have looked at scout, renegade, tidewater, sailfish...it feels to me that contender 24s has a good compromise between fishability and familiy, the boat is very well constructed and the resale value is better than what i have seen....maybe i am wrong
  • starzofchaosstarzofchaos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    I agree with you on that, just the name alone fetches a premium, either new or resale. They always have been a no frills, go hard fishing boat. The build quality of those boats are on point. The only thing I've never cared about on the Contenders the fish boxes drain into the bilge, and then  pumps over board. Unless they changed the design. How about Crevalle Boats? They make a bay hybrid, which can handle the off shore stuff as well. The build quality of those boats are excellent. All the ones I've ever looked at are completely flawless. A lot of thought has been put into the build. 
    Will check on the crevalle, havent research it, thanks for the recomendation. 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,997 Captain
    edited June 2018 #11
    Look at this before you buy a Crevalle. Seems like they aren’t standing behind shotty work 

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/932078-crevalle-26-open-special-edition-catastrophic-transom-failure.html?932078=#post11433661
    You should have been here yesterday
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 2,729 Captain
    Look at this before you buy a Crevalle. Seems like they aren’t standing behind shotty work 

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/932078-crevalle-26-open-special-edition-catastrophic-transom-failure.html?932078=#post11433661
    Looks like they're stepping up and making the owner happy, but absolutely no way should an issue like that occur. And I dang sure wouldn't be paying 190k plus for one, no matter what. 
    Completed the sea trial on the contender, it was perfect, and you can actually fit a 5 gallon bucket! Closing on it in a couple of days!
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 2,729 Captain
    Good for you. I'm sure you'll make a bunch of memories on it, that your kids will always remember. 👍👍
  • po28derpo28der Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Looks like a nice boat. I myself am about to spend 30 plus on a used bluewater. I think this is an **** ton of money for a boat. However not looking for a boat to work on all the time so that’s where I am. No one knows your situation better then you. I have had a 18 foot seafox for 16 years and loved every min of it. But it’s time to move up. Enjoy your boat. 
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    Congrats, and like was previously stated, "No better time you could spend with your kids".
    Be sure and post some pic's of the new sled, once you get her home.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,391 Captain
    You made the right choice. 
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,816 Moderator
    I miss my 25 Contender with Twin 200's, actually I really have been looking once again to purchase the same boat.
    smilie_dance.gif