Anna Maria Island-not long now!!

Exiled saltwater junkie counting down the days until I hit your beautiful Floridian shores! Not seen a huge amount of reports coming in. How is the fishing on and around Anna Maria Island? 7 weeks and counting til those beaches are mine!

Tight lines

Vern.

Replies

• Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    From land its been on fire except when some googans come through with some 2oz pyramid sinkers and chuck them on the snooks and tarpons heads, which is sadly happening very consistantly but what can you about it.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 506 Officer
    Watch the red tide reports as it’s heading north. I’m currently staying on Siesta Key and it’s bad.   Been going to Lido Key because it hadn’t reached that beach... until today. Heard Longboat Key was bad too.  Not trying to rain on your parade,  but it’s not fun hauling 2 kayaks 600 Miles only to be greeted by 1000’s dead floating fish, discolored water, coughing and sneezing on the beach. Like I said, watch the winds and use the Mote Aquarium beach conditions report. 
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Trevfishin, come up just a little further to Anna Maria. I was out yesterday and water was super clear. Tarpon were on the beaches and Snook were in the troughs. 
    image-logo.png
    I wish...leaving at 3a to drive back. First time in 3 years I haven’t landed a tarpon from my yak while down here 😔....coming back in September for the mullet run on the easy coast!!
  • BigVernBigVern Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Hi guys, thanks for the heads up and info. How bad is the Red Tide? I was warned about it last year, but there was no sign of it. How long does it normally last? A quick question for you. If you see a tarpon off the beach, about 40 yards or so. What would be your best option to catch it? Last year I did see a few in August when I was catching a snook or two.

Thanks and tight lines!

Vern
    Red Tide is bad for fishing and is constantly fluctuating based on wind, tides, and water temps. So it’s something to keep track of. Hopefully it will not reach Anna Marie and you’ll be fine.  Here is a small example of Siesta Key this past week 

Will do Trevfishin! Any ideas on those tarpon? I saw them a couple of times in the evening. I did see some large shoals/fevers of rays. Is it likely there are some catchable fish swimming with them? I did cast towards them without success. Is it worth following them if I see them this time?

Thanks again

Vern
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 134 Deckhand
    When I have fished off the beach at Anna Maria I try to wade out a little and cast a popping cork with pin fish or shrimp or cut bait underneath it.  If you catch the out going tides right you can let your line float out. I have also seen guys with kayaks take a bait out for someone on the beach, but I think that's more for shark fishing.  Also at the tip of Bean Point and towards the Rod & Reel, the channel comes in close to the beach. On an incoming tide with a healthy cast you can reach them where they sometimes rest about 25 ft down using a slightly different set up. 
     Cheers
    image-logo.png
  • JustinF_KTMJustinF_KTM Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Just got to Anna Maria. Planning on hitting the beaches for snook in the morning. We’re getting a boat from Monday to Wednesday. Anyone have any advice?
    Vern, since you are shore bound I’d try and put a pin fish under a float and cast it out as far as you can to where you’ve seen them rolling. Let the current carry it further.  Then put it in a sand spike and wait or cast for snook.  A sabiki tipped with shrimp or squid will get you all the pin fish you need. 

You could rent a yak for a day to get you out there too.  That’s how my addiction started 🤭
    Vern, since you are shore bound I’d try and put a pin fish under a float and cast it out as far as you can to where you’ve seen them rolling. Let the current carry it further.  Then put it in a sand spike and wait or cast for snook.  A sabiki tipped with shrimp or squid will get you all the pin fish you need. 

You could rent a yak for a day to get you out there too.  That’s how my addiction started 🤭
    What lures should I use for snook?
    Live bait is best, top water chrome super spook jr in the morning and evening. Mirrolure mirrodine that best matches bait fish or soft plastic white paddle tail the rest of the time. 
    Thanks again for the advice guys. Will get some pinfish and see what happens! Will post reports when I get there.

JustinF - I am not an expert but I did really well with a 3 inch blue mirrolure and a mullet lure from the beach.

Tight lines.

Vern
    red tide is very bad right now
    Caught some Spanish mackerel, one off a pier and 2 while drifting right off the north tip of the island. While on the pier I had a 3-4 foot fish I think it was a mackerel that hit my lure. Killed the trout this morning on a 4-5 foot grass flat with DOA shrimp. Went to the southern inlet (longboat pass) and didn’t get anything but went into a flat right by the inlet and tossed a shrimp on a Carolina rig and hooked a tarpon! It jumped twice but got off. It was probably 3 foot long. Caught a lady fish planning on going back there tonight with that as cut bait. Have to get some bigger hooks for that though, anyone know what size? I think I hooked it on a 2/0, probably too small. 
    And no snook from the beach. Tried 2 days
    edited June 19 #17
    If anyone has some advice for snook that would be great. We have a boat until Thursday morning, a specific spot would be sweet but something general to look for would be cool too. Thanks a lot
    and how can I catch jacks? I caught one trolling a yo zuri crystal minnow yesterday but would like to get more. 
    Hooks for Tarpon should be 6/0 or 7/0, jacks will hit anything moving fast and flashy. Snook, try night time under dock lights with moving current. They have big eyes for a reason. 
    Hey justinF ill be fishing Thursday night around anna maria for big snook and tarpon only and have been doing quite well. You should use BIG bait but if you are using shirmp get the biggest possible and free line it trust me on this even if the current is ripping.
    Going out tomorrow with tarpon. Getting a bunch of greenbacks and I have 2 ladyfish in the bucket now I hope they make it through the night. 
    Pins would be a better bait...lady fish should work..hope you had a good flow of water in the bait bucket to keep the greenies alive
    Went out around 645 this morning headed to the northern point of the island. Unfortunately there was a thunderstorm there so we had to go to the southern inlet. Stopped and got bait from a pontoon boat (we got bait from Annie’s in past days, they are a ripoff), tons of greenbacks. Stopped around the inlet and just freelined some greenbacks. Few catfish. We saw some tarpon rolling out further so we chased around schools for a while. No hookups but it was really cool seeing them up close. Came back to our trout spot and caught a bunch. 1 keeper. Going back out for trout soon then maybe some mackerel. 
    A tarpon will eat a catfish or catfish tail like i said big bait is the key and i'm a firm believer in that. You should rig up a knocker rig with a lady fish half and let it soak, you will have to sort through some sharks though just switch it up maybe free line the dead bait. I personally just get a 8/0 hook with 60 pound mono and rig up a live lady fish, mullet, monster pinfish or pigfish with no weight but they will pluck them dead also.
    I’ve had luck with pin fish under a float and freelined. Spend $2 on a sabiki rig and catch all the pin fish and grunts you want, just tip with shrimp or squid. Takes the paying for bait out of the equation. 
    Caught a 3 foot shark today, either a bull or a sand shark. Returned the boat so I’m all from shore from now on. Planning to hit the southern bridge for snook and sharks some night. 
    JustinF if you can make it Thursday night i can show you some Secrets in person that i wont share online.
    If you are shore bound, look for bridges with lights and get the tides movement for out going. 
    I disagree incoming tide around longboat/anna maria is just as or more productive also no secret rod and reel pier is good big sand perch lizardfish anything big will get eaten under that pier by a snook.
    JustinF if you can make it Thursday night i can show you some Secrets in person that i wont share online.
    Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to make it tonight, what time are you going? DM me if you want. Thanks
    Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to make it tonight, what time are you going? DM me if you want. Thanks
    I just sent you a message
    Hi folks, just wondering what has been caught around the Island of late? Has anyone seen any jacks from the beaches?

Tight lines

Vern.