Favorite inshore lures

kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 30 Greenhorn
Hello, 

I'm staying in Cape Coral for a week and want to know what lures you've had the most success with when fishing inshore. I'm looking for lures that just flat-out catch fish. I'll have live bait gear, but I want to bring a few artificials too. 
On my lighter rig, I want to try and catch trout, smaller snook, mangrove snapper, ladyfish, spanish mackerel, pompano, smaller jacks, flounder, and maybe even some "trash" fish - like houndfish, or lookdowns. 
On my heavier casting rig, I want to try and catch barracudas, jacks, snook, and maybe even tarpon if I'm lucky. 

Does anybody have suggestions for lures that can cover all or almost all the species on these lists (obviously different lures for the fish on the lighter setup or the heavier setup)? 
Tight lines,
Drew

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 1,506 Captain
    Mirrodine, doa popping cork, gold spoon and cal weedless jig are my top 4.  I've stopped buying/using other lures.  The four above seem to be all I need.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    Spanish mackerel, cuda, jacks like A fast retrieve. Possibly
    skipping on the top. Snook, trout, tarpon can be caught on
    A fly. Houndfish are on top, lookdowns hold structure on
    bottom. I'm going with A ballpark answer. A Kastmaster
    and A surf bait rig.

Crome split ring and barrel swivel. What hook would you recommend?
    What if it doesn't work. Is the kid going to pull A tantrum?

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    Spanish mackerel, cuda, jacks like A fast retrieve. Possibly
    skipping on the top. Snook, trout, tarpon can be caught on
    A fly. Houndfish are on top, lookdowns hold structure on
    bottom. I'm going with A ballpark answer. A Kastmaster
    and A surf bait rig.

Crome split ring and barrel swivel. What hook would you recommend?

Thinking maybe a spoon for the Spanish and smaller barracudas, and jacks and houndfish too. 
    Snook and trout - I'll probably have DOA shrimp, I used them in Florida the last time I went and they worked well. I don't fly fish at all, so I'll be doing live bait and some artificials. 
    No clue what that last part meant - could you elaborate?

Drew
  • kangadrewkangadrew Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    kellercl said:
    Mirrodine, doa popping cork, gold spoon and cal weedless jig are my top 4.  I've stopped buying/using other lures.  The four above seem to be all I need.
    Noted - I'll be sure to pick a few of each up for the trip!
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,387 Admiral

Zoom flukes on a jighead work really well for me.

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,196 Moderator
    All lures catch fishermen, fishermen catch fish

• backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    tankard said:

Zoom flukes on a jighead work really well for me.

X2
    kangadrew said:

Thinking maybe a spoon for the Spanish and smaller barracudas, and jacks and houndfish too. 
    Snook and trout - I'll probably have DOA shrimp, I used them in Florida the last time I went and they worked well. I don't fly fish at all, so I'll be doing live bait and some artificials. 

Drew
    Fishing is based on trial and error. What works one day isn't necessarily going to work the next.
    I like to fish with A lot of people. It can be competitive. At times you'll notice one girl catches
    better than the next. What's she doing different? What's she doing that's bettering her odds
    and the girl that catches the least  has a guide dinged off and A reel that skips. She ends up
    catching the biggest out of dumb luck. מבין
    This would be A surf bait rig that I would use for pomps. ;)
    Obviously different species.

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 388 Deckhand
    DOA paddle tails are pretty good for reds , snook and trout.  Silver spoons for Spanish mackerel but remember to retrieve them really fast for the Spanish mackerel. 
  • capt_steve93capt_steve93 StuartPosts: 3 Greenhorn
     It’s pretty hard to beat a live shrimp on a popping cork but you can also use DOA shrimp. 
    Nativefishingcharters.com - Stuart Florida inshore offshore fishing guide service 
  • sigiiligansigiiligan Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    DOA shrimp under a rattling clacker popping cork all day long. Preferred color for me is "natural brown", but I've done well with the white color also. Should cover almost all the species you are targeting, with the exception of spanish macks. As said earlier by others you also can't go wrong with a gold spoon. Only other lure I've not seen mentioned that i'd suggest would be a  devils horse.  
  • Kill_It_N_Grill_ItKill_It_N_Grill_It fort lauderdalePosts: 43 Greenhorn
    personally I use and HIGHLY favor Yo-Zuri lures.  mainly the crystal minnows and 3ds minnows.  you can get the crystals in a variety of sizes.   you can twitch, swim and even troll them for tremendous success.  also have been using the voodoo shrimps on grass flats and near pilings, and underwater lights and they have been kicking some serious A**.   best colors for me are brown and white with yellow tail.   I like to bounce the off bottom and jig them,  snappers and snook are likely to smash these and they swim better than all other shrimp jigs out of the pakage, tried em all...  I have used these from stuart down and around all the way from big pine key to 10,000 islands
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 395 Deckhand
    kangadrew said:

Drew
    Fishing is based on trial and error. What works one day isn't necessarily going to work the next.
    I like to fish with A lot of people. It can be competitive. At times you'll notice one girl catches
    better than the next. What's she doing different? What's she doing that's bettering her odds
    and the girl that catches the least  has a guide dinged off and A reel that skips. She ends up

kangadrew said:

Drew
    We're going to need more details here.  What makes a spoon with steel split rings work better than aluminum?  A 16 year old would do more with less.  It's possible a doa is the best bet but the numbers would definitely agree
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,058 Captain
    kangadrew said:

Drew
    Yeah that’s why the call it the twist instead of the tootsie roll hahahaha.  
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 187 Deckhand
    Pearl white Z Man paddle tails.  On either a red Strike King jig head or weighted Gammy swim bait hook.
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Technically, my best producer s are X-Raps, particularly in 'ghost' color - anywhere from size 6 to size 10...but where I'm a catch and release person, I try not to use lures with a double set of trebles unless I'm really jonesing....and on that note, I use lunker city 'saltshakers' (particularly 3" in 'ice shad' color on a 1/2 oz jig head) for weighted applications and smaller (4 or 5 inch) soft plastics in pearl for unweighted applications...both zoom flukes and albie snax (although I prefer the latter for casting distance, they both work the same when thrown in front of a fish...LOL)

Those three applications have resulted in probably over 50 species of fish (mostly salt, but some fresh) both here in the NE as well as my annual adventures down to FL (which, depending where I chose on a given year, will either be the Venice area or Juno Beach area)...But yeah, on the x rap, using the same actual lure (not just the same kind), I caught both landlock atlantic salmon here in MA as well as snook  down in Venice within a month and a half period of time.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 351 Deckhand
    You made thru 25+comments and never mention Gulp.Time
    after time Gulp will do better than shrimp.Always remember
    what one guide said"Lures are not designed to catch fish,
    there designed to catch fishermen."
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,258 Moderator
    10kman said:
    ^ This
    Gulp on a 1/4oz jig head: deadly.
    My secret weapon though, is the Yozuri Crystal 3D Shrimp, this is what I use when I run out of gulp.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,722 AG
    I only use 2 lures....D.O.A. CAL with a 1/8 oz Strike king jig head....and a chug bug... 

If you wanted mackerel...and ladys/jacks...a spoon would work well. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,836 Captain
    10kman said:
    If they enforced "truth in advertising", then "Gulp" would be called "Gag".

No matter the color, the shape, or size, "Gulp" is just glorified "stink-bait".

It's an overpriced by-product that turns "every fish into a Catfish".

Why come home smelling like you work at the morgue?

If you want to use a "flavored" lure, try this:

A Gold color Johnson Weedess Minnow spoon, with a Fishbite trailer.

( Fishbiteshas released a version of the old Uncle Josh pork trailer. )

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,157 Captain
    jcanracer said:
    10kman said:
    ^ This
    Gulp on a 1/4oz jig head: deadly.
    My secret weapon though, is the Yozuri Crystal 3D Shrimp, this is what I use when I run out of gulp.
    Over the years Gulp has changed their formula not once but twice. Now they are so soft, they don’t last at all. I only use the old ones I still have for catching pin fish fir bait. Z man or some other soft plastic for me these days. If I’m specifically targeting flounder, I’ll grab a pack of paddle tail mullet, but that’s it
    You should have been here yesterday
    Anybody try the Marsh Minnow by Mirrolure?  It is scented but not as offensive as Gulp.  I will be trying them out this Saturday.
    I would guess you have to think that a fish reacting to a bait swimming by has lots of time to sniff a bait......

With that said...I do think a fish will hold on LONGER...to a bait that has no "negative" scent associated with it.

Do you smoke cigarettes?....handle the nozzle at the gas station?...Put on sun block?... These are negatives.
    I used to know an old (and super successful) bass tournament angler.... Like all good hunters,he was very careful with "scent".... He would take a little bit of Riverside "bait mate"...one of the first companies making scent....and put a few drops in his palm....and rub his hands together vigorously. He would not handle a bait without doing this.
    Did it work?... he felt it did....that was enough foe me to believe it did.  
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    edited July 22 #26
    I think scent is species dependant.  It seems to help greatly with black drum far more than other species.   Flounder also seem to like scented.  For other species, like trout, I'm not sure scented baits help.  
  • PompanoPetePompanoPete Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    You're getting way too into this for a short-timer to the locale.  Learn to tie on a flourocarbon leader - line-to-line - (uni-knot) and use live shrimp, either weighted or a cork, depending on time of day (use weight as sun rises).  Period. 

Have fun!  Tasty dinners!

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,652 Admiral
    Live bait bah humbug! Lures will more than get the job done.

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!
    II Chronicles 7:14

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman said:
     Lures will more than get the job done.

I've heard this.... 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,157 Captain
    You're getting way too into this for a short-timer to the locale.  Learn to tie on a flourocarbon leader - line-to-line - (uni-knot) and use live shrimp, either weighted or a cork, depending on time of day (use weight as sun rises).  Period. 

Have fun!  Tasty dinners!

Enjoy those hardhead dinners
    You should have been here yesterday