How far have ranger 24 bays been out offshore

DangerRanger56DangerRanger56 Hudson FLPosts: 10 Greenhorn
i have a ranger 24 bay and am wanting to venture offshore some more. I’m really wondering two things how far do you go out in a Similar Boat and what precautions and gear you should have not only to be save but to make the trips easier   

Replies

• shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Just pick your days for Weather similar flats boats have gone to the Bahamas. Couple of guys crossed the Atlantic in a flats boat! I have seen jon boats and gheenoe's 10 miles out. It is just what you are comfortable with. Weather is the most important thing to look at. EPIRB,PLB a second VHF handheld. The list is long for safety gear and let somebody on shore know where  you will be fishing and when you will be back..
  • FlecFlec Posts: 492 Deckhand
    Become a weather expert and know the current conditions as well as the forecast including sea conditions. Also know the tide changes. have a cell phone and a vhf radio that works. An EPIRB too.  The ocean can be as calm as a lake or too dangerous for a cruise ship. Know before you go.
  • Nick_BrutonNick_Bruton Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    edited June 21 #4
    Weather was suppose to be wind 5-10 knots with 1-2ft seas yesterday so we went out in a friends 22ft pathfinder. It was more like 2-3s and much more wind. It made for a long ride, but we still made it 20-30miles out safe and DRY. Flec is right on point. Pick your days and don't go out in anything your not comfortable in. We were getting beat up trying to run once we got out, so we just trolled between bottom spots and had a great day with tight lines.
  • offsethookeroffsethooker Posts: 126 Deckhand
    I use to take my 22 century out 30 miles, had a few rough trips but never felt unsafe, BUT I’ve got a lot of time offshore , sold that boat and bought a 25 cobia, was out not long ago and the seas picked up and let a guy in a bay boat get in behind me on the way end. Keep this in mind if your out there and the seas get bad find a big boat to follow in, but most importantly know what YOU and your boat can handle.
  • rodzrodz Posts: 663 Officer
    Generally, as for range on a favorable weather day I like to use 1/3 out, 1/3 return and 1/3 reserve on fuel.  I have returned on reserve in not so favorable weather.  Also, a good towing plan for your boat covering the area of intended use.  A good VHF radio . . . I registered an MMSI# so my crew can hit the red button if needed.  Seemingly, all overkill until you need it. Pick your weather days and you should be good.
  • R DaysR Days Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    I have been out about 23 miles several times in a Ranger 2510.  I have an xm weather module, radar and a bunch of safety gear.  You have to pay attention to everything and run in closer as soon as anything starts to change for the worse.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 492 Deckhand
    On calm days they can go as far as their fuel supply will allow. I am sure there have been many bayboats that have went to the Bahamas from South Florida. I took my 19'6" Aquasport from West Palm to West End, Grand Bahama 6 times back in the late 80's.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 681 Officer
    I have a 22 Pathfinder and we've taken it to the other side of the Gulf Stream out of Stuart, so that's anywhere from 20-30 miles (with some nice bumps in the middle). BUT it has to be one of the calmest days sea-wise with no weather popping up unexpectedly. I've run back from the 9-mile reef in seas that changed to 4-footers and it is miserable.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,316 Captain
    I’ve been out over 45 miles I’m my 22’ pathfinder many times( but that’s only about 80’ up here). Pick the day when weather is nice unlikely to change quickly. Make sure your safety equipment is up to date. Go get em
    You should have been here yesterday