New to St Petersburg area. Advice?

Hunt_DrewHunt_Drew St PetersburgPosts: 5 Greenhorn
Hello everyone. Brand new here because I am moving to the St Petersburg area soon. I was wondering what spots y’all enjoy fishing? I can’t wait to get down and explore. Nice forum y’all have here! 

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,395 AG
    edited June 14 #2
    As far as spots this time of year....  Find a pass between the barrier islands along ocean and the backwater.  All of them are good.  :)

Do you own a boat?
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 649 Officer
    Welcome to the forum!  And welcome to St Pete!!!  You are going to love it here!!!!

The best part will be the exploring and hunting for spots.  The great thing about St Pete, is that you won't need anyone giving you spots.  They are everywhere!  Whether fishing by land, wading, kayaking, boating or whatever.  Try the bridges, passes, beaches, piers, docks, mangroves, canals, grass flats, sandbars, wrecks and reefs.

Get Wet!

I'm excited for you!
    also, check out the
    West Central General Fishing & Outdoors subforum -

That's where we all be ;)

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,826 Captain
    Hunt_Drew said:
    Hello everyone. Brand new here because I am moving to the St Petersburg area soon. I was wondering what spots y’all enjoy fishing? I can’t wait to get down and explore. Nice forum y’all have here! 
    Welcome to the best forum in the state of Florida, or any where else!
    Jim

• Hunt_DrewHunt_Drew St PetersburgPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    As far as spots this time of year....  Find a pass between the barrier islands along ocean and the backwater.  All of them are good.  :)

Do you own a boat?
    My father in law has an awesome cat and knows a few boat spots. Can't wait to hit the water with him. As for me, nope. I am just a beach, bridge, or shore guy. Thanks for the advice!
  • Hunt_DrewHunt_Drew St PetersburgPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all of the help guys! I can already tell how welcoming everyone is here. Can't wait to be down in the salty air with yall. 
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,826 Captain
    The wade fishing is good in the Boca Ciega Bay in Gulfport.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 106 Deckhand

Do you own a boat?

• NitzeyNitzey Posts: 106 Deckhand
    What fish are we likely to find in the passes this time of year? And other times of the year?
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 466 Deckhand
    One piece of advice for moving to Tampa Bay area:  Get a kayak.  You can do a billion kinds of fishing and scouting in our area with a kayak and a roof rack.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,395 AG
    Nitzey said:
    What fish are we likely to find in the passes this time of year? And other times of the year?
    Snook, trout, jacks, flounder, tarpon, big redfish, even mackerel.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 370 Deckhand
      Quickest way to learn new area,join a local fishing club.
    One piece of advice for moving to Tampa Bay area:  Get a kayak.  You can do a billion kinds of fishing and scouting in our area with a kayak and a roof rack.
    x2  Probably the best advice anyone moving here could get
  • SaltySardineSaltySardine Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Agreed. I own a 19 foot bay boat and a kayak...and use them equally. Some spots are WAY easier to access with a kayak. Pull over and launch and paddle a few hundred feet. Other spots would just be impossible to get into with a boat other than a technical flats boat.

Kayak is definitely worth it
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 466 Deckhand
    Having fished in several states and in several parts of this state, I can tell you that those of us who live in the Tampa Bay area are insanely fortunate when it comes to public access (and legal parking) along our shorelines here.  We have a huge advantage in shore access over many other places.