Tarpon Time

12 June 2018...Wabasso/Grand Harbor...Searching for the Pink Tag.  A Tarpon entry today, 26 more Conservation Division entries.  Trout are out on the flats and in the Grand Harbor channel, nothing but shorts.  Hobart  was the first stop of the day, also last stop in the afternoon.  Hardhead Cats are still thick.  Working one of the pockets caught a 5 pound Sail Cat.  Managed a trash can slam with a Cat, Lady and U - 2.  Tide right, took the long run to Grand Harbor, looks like they are finally working on expansion of facilities.  Past the Golf Cart Bridge, Jumped off three Tarpon, and missed four more.  At the South Bridge watched an over slot Snook, would not play.  Sheepshead at the North entrance, could not get them to hit.  Had a Flying Saucer, cut me off on the shells.  Big Snapper in the mix, would not chew.  Johns Island, working the Rapala Rip Stop for Trout, hooked and landed a small Tarpon.  First time that I have had one hit a Hard bait head first.  Had an audience, yard workers watching.  Another irresponsible crew blowing grass clippings and bush whackings into the water.  Sheepshead are still active, several bumps, but no hookups.  Spoil Islands are holding a few big Trout, but no players.  Johns Island Bridge, short Snook still around.  Watched an over slot Red and Trout cruising, but neither one would hit.  

Replies

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 608 Officer
    nice those little tarpon are a handful!
    we need more internet money
  • FlecFlec Posts: 463 Deckhand
    OK,,,What is a flying saucer and a U-2.     And you must have a nickname for yourself as well, no?  Nice variety of catches there, even with all of the non-players.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,712 AG
    John...a " U - 2" is what the commercial guys call Jacks under 2 lbs...they pay money for them. 

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • jhdog13jhdog13 Posts: 169 Deckhand
    Flying Saucer, Sheepshead over 5 pounds.  Trouble is the name on my shirt.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 463 Deckhand
    duckmanJR said:
    John...a " U - 2" is what the commercial guys call Jacks under 2 lbs...they pay money for them. 

One of my old fishing buds calls a little jack a   "Hand Jack"   What use are little jacks to the commercial guys?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,712 AG
    Flec said:
    duckmanJR said:

One of my old fishing buds calls a little jack a   "Hand Jack"   What use are little jacks to the commercial guys?
    They pay between a buck and a buck forty a pound..... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • badcastbadcast Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    I didn't they were edible,,,  are they any good