The FBI....again....

tankardtankard Posts: 6,387 Admiral

I though this was a joke but it's true.

Apparently an agent was dancing in Denver, did a backflip whereupon his gun fell out of its holster, when he went to grab it it fired and injured a man.

Just disband the entire politicized incompetent agency. Now.

Replies

• Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,861 AG
    Pro law and order, right?
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 2,535 Captain
    edited June 13 #3
    tankard said:

Apparently an agent was dancing in Denver, did a backflip whereupon his gun fell out of its holster, when he went to grab it it fired and injured a man.

That happened a week and a half ago. It was all over the news. Don't watch the news?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,273 AG
    edited June 13 #4
    By the same logic...

Since there are about 500 deaths each year because of accidental discharges, perhaps we should disband the 2nd amendment?

A police officer did the same thing: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fresno-deputy-accidental-shooting-death-20161101-story.html Should we disband the police as well?

Of course not.  Stop being silly.

There's nothing incompetent about the FBI (nor should it be disbanded) -- people make mistakes -- but there is a lot of incompetence in your logic and the political argument behind it. 

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,433 Admiral
    We could always prosecute the guy for being an idiot.    

Captain Todd Approves

• tankardtankard Posts: 6,387 Admiral

"There is nothing incompetent about the FBI"

The families of over 60 people in Florida alone would beg to differ.

But you can't be accused of being overly intelligent, Tarponator. I mean, you DID have to swim ashore after going overboard with the boat in gear and no kill switch lanyard...

• frankfrank Posts: 12,717 AG
    mplspug said:
    They have, with assault 
    No political signature
    edited June 13 #9
    tankard said:

"There is nothing incompetent about the FBI"

The families of over 60 people in Florida alone would beg to differ.

But you can't be accused of being overly intelligent, Tarponator. I mean, you DID have to swim ashore after going overboard with the boat in gear and no kill switch lanyard...

Which families 60 people are you referring to?

More to the point, and speaking to the overly finely parsing my post, how does a dropped and accidentally discharged weapon say anything about the incompetence that you appear to conflate into a discussion presumably about Parkland (or a larger political point about dissolving the entire organization as the OP did)?

Or will you recognize there's a difference between imperfect and incompetent?

Listen, we all make mistakes.  I've made plenty.  Since you seem so vividly remember one I was kind enough to share, perhaps you'd be interested in knowing I still don't wear a lanyard in the situation that threw me overboard (idling), but I don't boat alone either.     Apparently, there's more than one way to solve a problem (or learn from a mistake), as it hasn't happened in the 15 years since.  Live and learn.

Do you make mistakes (other than the logical ones outlined above)?

--choose me--> Do you think the FBI's mistakes, even incompetence, warrant its dissolution? <--focus here--

Or did you just want to talk about me?

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,508 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    The boating industry would take a pretty sizable hit if that was a prosecutable offense. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,555 Admiral
    Back when I was in the AF a group of security cops entered the mess hall and as one set his M16 in the rifle rack it went off blowing a hole in the ceiling. There was about 4 seconds of absolute silence, then a tremendous applause from the 70+ airmen!
     The cop felt about one inch tall.  :D
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,847 Captain
    The fbi is steeped in corruption. 
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,079 AG
    It has been from the beginning.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,491 Moderator

Can you give examples?
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,793 Captain
    tankard said:

How about dealing with the agent that did this and while were at it, also deal with those that are basing their criminal investigations conclusions on their political views.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,550 Admiral
    Pro law and order, right?
    "Pigs in a blanket fry like bacon"     Pro hypocrisy right ? 

:/ 
    When, precisely, did you come to that conclusion?

Recently?
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,843 Captain
    Where were you ages ago on every forum when this was discussed? 
    Lol, I owe you one.
    edited June 14 #20
    It has been from the beginning.
    Yes sir.

It's been from the beginning. How did J Edgar Hoover remain as the head of the FBI for 40 years? He had dirt on everyone in DC. Waco, CLiven Bundy, Ruby Ridge, Trump, Hillary, Watergate................... Boston Bomber, pulse nightclub, parkland shooting..........
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 216 Deckhand
    When, precisely, did you come to that conclusion?

Recently?
    Well the Hillary 'thing' was a suprisingly open **** covering maneuver.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
    edited June 14 #22
    Show me a human endeavor, and I will show you a flaw.

Two years ago, the same dimwits would have flipped their lid if anyone had two bad words to say about the FBI.

My, how times change.

At least you're pliable.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,555 Admiral
    All congress has to do is abolish the agency. Along with DHS, FEMA and any other agency/department they wish that are not constitutionally mandated. 
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,

Two years ago, the same dimwits would have flipped their lid if anyone had two bad words to say about the FBI.

My, how times change.

At least you're pliable.
    When you consider yourself above reproach there's a problem. Since Inception the FBI has sold the narrative of doing the right thing all the time. Never question or doubt them because they're doing what's in the best interest of the American people. I've known that's BS for decades. It's just nice seeing people who don't back down and call a spade a spade

If it were only a few people as you say why won't they run out of town? They have a reputation to protect, so can only it goes against their approach if people corrupt it. It's their own fault. It WAS a closed environment.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  There's no need for them anyway
    Breaking news

Former FBI Director James Comey “deviated” from bureau and Justice Department procedures in handling the probe into Hillary Clinton, damaging the agencies’ image of impartiality even though he wasn’t motivated by politics, the department’s watchdog found in a highly anticipated report.

“While we did not find that these decisions were the result of political bias on Comey’s part, we nevertheless concluded that by departing so clearly and dramatically from FBI and department norms, the decisions negatively impacted the perception of the FBI and the department as fair administrators of justice,” Inspector General Michael Horowitz said in the report’s conclusions, which were obtained by Bloomberg News.

edited June 14 #26

My, how times change.

At least you're pliable.
    When you consider yourself above reproach there's a problem. Since Inception the FBI has sold the narrative of doing the right thing all the time. Never question or doubt them because they're doing what's in the best interest of the American people. I've known that's BS for decades. It's just nice seeing people who don't back down and call a spade a spade

If it were only a few people as you say why won't they run out of town? They have a reputation to protect, so can only it goes against their approach if people corrupt it. It's their own fault. It WAS a closed environment.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  There's no need for them anyway
    John, 

Are you talking about the FBI, or are you talking about your impression of them?

Where did you come up with the FBI thinking they are "above reproach"?
    Where did you come up with the FBI selling a "narrative" of "doing the right thing all the time"?
    Who ever said "never question them or doubt them"?

Honestly, do you make this stuff up?

Incidentally, the FBI doesn't have "absolute power", the ones who do wrong get "run out of town" when the situation warrants it (and sometimes even if it doesn't), and our nation absolutely needs the function they perform.  But that's neither here nor there.

Listen, nobody is suggesting they are perfect.  Nobody is suggesting they are beyond reproach.  Nobody is suggesting they don't make mistakes.  Again, show me a human endeavor, and I will show you a flaw.

However, to suggest they be abolished because of these incidents (even presuming all the delusions are true) is ridiculous, but quite par for the course around here at least...Mike
    edited June 14 #27
    Breaking news

Former FBI Director James Comey “deviated” from bureau and Justice Department procedures in handling the probe into Hillary Clinton, damaging the agencies’ image of impartiality even though he wasn’t motivated by politics, the department’s watchdog found in a highly anticipated report.

“While we did not find that these decisions were the result of political bias on Comey’s part, we nevertheless concluded that by departing so clearly and dramatically from FBI and department norms, the decisions negatively impacted the perception of the FBI and the department as fair administrators of justice,” Inspector General Michael Horowitz said in the report’s conclusions, which were obtained by Bloomberg News.

My reaction to the IG report:  No duh.  In the end, Comey should have just kept his mouth shut, Hillary would have won, and the congressional Republicans would have opened another meaningless investigation...just as every other pseudo-scandal of the prior two terms.  Alas he did not, and here we are.

Taking a step back:  Does this mean one side will stop suggesting this was all done out of political bias?

I'm not holding my breath.

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,079 AG
    Texts between agents: "We'll stop Trump from becoming President".... yup, no bias.
    Fedelity Bravery Integrity.

Below are the FBIs own words. No mine. Not an assumption

Our Core Values

• Rigorous obedience to the Constitution of the United States;
    • Respect for the dignity of all those we protect;
    • Compassion;
    • Fairness;
    • Uncompromising personal integrity and institutional integrity;
    • Accountability by accepting responsibility for our actions and decisions and the consequences of our actions and decisions;
    • Leadership, both personal and professional; and
    • Diversity.
    edited June 14 #30

Fedelity Bravery Integrity.

Below are the FBIs own words. No mine. Not an assumption

Our Core Values

• Rigorous obedience to the Constitution of the United States;
    • Respect for the dignity of all those we protect;
    • Compassion;
    • Fairness;
    • Uncompromising personal integrity and institutional integrity;
    • Accountability by accepting responsibility for our actions and decisions and the consequences of our actions and decisions;
    • Leadership, both personal and professional; and
    • Diversity.
    Perhaps you might point out where in that core value list are any of the silly things you said a few posts earlier, like:

They are "above reproach"?
    They "doing the right thing all the time"?
    "Never question them or doubt them"?

Listen, you have every right to hold those opinions, but you have no right to attribute those words to the FBI.
    edited June 14 #31
    Texts between agents: "We'll stop Trump from becoming President".... yup, no bias.
    Do you think bias stops law enforcement from giving criminals a fair shake? 

Or is the only time it applies is when that bias is claimed against your favorite politician?