CMOR map review second time

PangamanPangaman Posts: 516 Officer

Tried the CMOR map again with similar results in a different area. Here is a picture. Looks like it would be a nice ledge to the south of the boat mark. Went back and forth over this area. No change of depth and did not mark any fish. Also traveled back and forth along the area which looks like a depth contour in front of the boat. Same thing.

Second picture shows what the depth finder looked like. Stayed the same as I drove over what looked like different relief.

Did find 3 new spots again, but like last time, just marked fish, no bottom contour. One area was not marking fish at all but noticed a thicker green line above the red on the picture above. Dropped down squid and caught big triggers and big red snapper. Caught an assortment of fish, including red porgies, triggers, b-liners, and lots of huge red snappers.

The picture was taken zoomed in to 500 feet on the cmor. When you zoom in below 100 feet you lose the definition and just have different color squares. I am finding additional spots to fish, so maybe the cmor is getting me in the areas with more marine life on the bottom. Or it may be that I am riding around more in 135' at 2 knots looking for spots. Time will tell. Will try some more areas in the near future. The simrad was on high chirp and zoomed in 2 times on the left side of the screen.

Replies

• bigslickbigslick Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a cmor card , but for the Jacksonville area I think the closest it starts is 50 miles out. I dont really like running that far if I dont have to. I'd love to find some spots closer in around the 25 mile range though. Last couple trips to the usual public numbers hasn't really yielded much for the cooler.
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,271 Officer
    Thx for sharing Pangaman...obviously there isn't much relief like you said, but it's not blind luck that your pulling keeper triggers and big snappers up on your first drops.  I'd say it's working.  It just gives the false presentation that your going to find 8' ledges all over the ocean b/c it appears that's what the map is showing.  Great stuff, keep the updates coming on the upcoming trips please!  Thx

-T
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 606 Officer
    Pangaman said:

Tried the CMOR map again with similar results in a different area. Here is a picture. Looks like it would be a nice ledge to the south of the boat mark. Went back and forth over this area. No change of depth and did not mark any fish. Also traveled back and forth along the area which looks like a depth contour in front of the boat. Same thing.

Second picture shows what the depth finder looked like. Stayed the same as I drove over what looked like different relief.

Did find 3 new spots again, but like last time, just marked fish, no bottom contour. One area was not marking fish at all but noticed a thicker green line above the red on the picture above. Dropped down squid and caught big triggers and big red snapper. Caught an assortment of fish, including red porgies, triggers, b-liners, and lots of huge red snappers.

The picture was taken zoomed in to 500 feet on the cmor. When you zoom in below 100 feet you lose the definition and just have different color squares. I am finding additional spots to fish, so maybe the cmor is getting me in the areas with more marine life on the bottom. Or it may be that I am riding around more in 135' at 2 knots looking for spots. Time will tell. Will try some more areas in the near future. The simrad was on high chirp and zoomed in 2 times on the left side of the screen.

if you zoom in more on your depthfinder like only show 40' off the bottom would you see the ledge?

Based on the cmor it only looks like a 2' drop(132-134) which can be a killer spot
    we need more internet money
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 516 Officer
    The zoom is showing the last 55' of bottom. Depth stayed at 135 even when I drove up onto what looked like a shelf of 132'.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 606 Officer
    gotcha, do you know how old the maps are, i could see sand filling in a two foot ledge overnight on a rough day?
    we need more internet money
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 516 Officer
    Don't know how old, but probably made a few years back when the Navy made the testing area offshore jax. I think that is why they surveyed that area.