Opening Snapper season storms

AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 65 Greenhorn
Did well today but did anyone get out and dodge a few of those squalls? This a good example of filling the tank more than what you think you will need. Added a few miles working around storms, one after another it seemed.

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,921 Moderator
    edited June 12 #2
    It didn't look pretty on the radar. Pictures if you have them?

Thanks for letting us know.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,413 AG
    Typical Summer rain patterns now. Possible morning, mid day and afternoons. Hopefully most of them will stay inland or along the shore. Might be going Thursday.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • eddiejoeeddiejoe Posts: 599 Officer
    It was actually an unusual pattern for June. Usually the early morning storms dissipate by 8 or 9 but not Monday or the rest of the week.  They moved from west to east in a chain of wind and lightning. We pounded SW through NOAA predicted 1-2’ waves that easily reached 4-5’ and never quit.  After an hour at 8 knots and facing a line of black cloud flecked by big bolts we packed it in. 
    I called the NWS today and complained and they said it was “local conditions “ created by the weather. I said “no kidding”. But the “weather” lasted for 7 hours, so stop forecasting 1’ seas when the weather radar is lit up like the forth of July.  Tuesday, today, was just the same. 
    I wanted a snapper bad but my 20’ boat was overmatched. 

EJ
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,921 Moderator
    Hello EJ.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • JTRJTR Posts: 1,016 Officer
    edited June 13 #6
    eddiejoe said:
    It was actually an unusual pattern for June. Usually the early morning storms dissipate by 8 or 9 but not Monday or the rest of the week.  They moved from west to east in a chain of wind and lightning. We pounded SW through NOAA predicted 1-2’ waves that easily reached 4-5’ and never quit.  After an hour at 8 knots and facing a line of black cloud flecked by big bolts we packed it in. 
    I called the NWS today and complained and they said it was “local conditions “ created by the weather. I said “no kidding”. But the “weather” lasted for 7 hours, so stop forecasting 1’ seas when the weather radar is lit up like the forth of July.  Tuesday, today, was just the same. 

EJ
    The accuracy of the forecast will improve after July 20.
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 663 Officer
    You are on point EJ, the NOAA prediction is not much use right now. Every morning it seems to be different. This is the time of year that can get a small boater in trouble offshore. Inside one of those storms 30 miles offshore is a bad place to be. Sometimes they brew up onshore and move out. You can't run around those. 

Be careful out there.  

Hello EJ.

EJ
    Greetings. 
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,041 Captain
    Yay! EJ is back to terrorize the neighbahood! 
    Cheers!
    God, save the South!