Boat ramp buffoonery

I'm sure we have all seen some pretty outrageous things go down at our local boat ramps throughout the years.

Sometimes joking around we say to our friends "we should setup some lawn chairs, fill a cooler with beer and watch the madness for the day.".

I pulled into Punta Rassa on Saturday only to see a wave runner on one side of his trailer and a Harley on the other. He had a Michigan license plate if that tells you anything. Lol

What are some of the rediculous things you've seen at the ramp?

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 484 Deckhand
    Never would have believed it without the pic. That motorcycle has a short life ahead. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana. Same breed that begs for all the info on how to catch fish here. We always here from them around February and March.
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 143 Deckhand
    That is the best thing I've ever seen!

I'm from MD and opening weekend of rockfish season a lot of people try and start their boats with ethanol fuel for the first time in months while on the ramp. Its a complete mess. I also enjoy the people who launch dead center of a double wide ramp
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,855 Captain
    edited June 12 #4
    I saw this guy at the lovers key boat ramp 3 weeks ago staging. Lol

• mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 335 Deckhand
    Thats nuts, haha. I saw that pic of the motorcycle dunked on Instagram.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,796 Captain
    I have too many stories to tell from boats falling off trailers, to trucks ending up in the water to trailers jackknifed, to fist fights. When I retire I will go to ramps with a lawn chair, umbrella and cooler of beer and just be entertained.
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 187 Deckhand
    30 years ago we use to put in at Fortescue, NJ.  When the tide runner Weakfish were spawning the line at the ramp would be over a mile long.  The ramp was a sling/trolly.  You backed in, got in your boat, were trollied down and got let go.  When the tide was moving the water moved fast.  Up river two hundred feet was a very low bridge.  Many boats did not start and would end up at the bridge.  I've seen as many as 20 boats holding on to the bridge and pushing off each other.  I wish we had picture phones back then. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,542 Admiral
    I'd love to share stories of buffonery but the one I have involves me.  Was backing down the ramp too quickly, son was holding the rope, boat came off too fast and got away from him.   He yells "dad the boat's getting away"......"WELL GO GET IT!!!"   He kicks off his sandals and jumps in the water.   It's April 1st 2017 water temp was about 65 ish and it's 545am still dark.  Grabs the rope and swims the boat back to me.   Losing his sunglasses in the process luckily his phone wasn't lost it was in the truck.  

He sat there shivering for about 15 minutes.   Then went out and had our day.  But I've never felt like more of an idiot than that moment.    i back down the ramp slowly now, and we don't disengage the safety chain until the boat is in the water.   Once bitten.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    edited June 13 #9

We all make mistakes.   Thankfully, this one wasn't mine.....
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    That’s not good ! But easy on the guys from Ohio, I do just fine .
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 795 Officer
    Binder said:
    I'm sure we have all seen some pretty outrageous things go down at our local boat ramps throughout the years.

Sometimes joking around we say to our friends "we should setup some lawn chairs, fill a cooler with beer and watch the madness for the day.".

I pulled into Punta Rassa on Saturday only to see a wave runner on one side of his trailer and a Harley on the other. He had a Michigan license plate if that tells you anything. Lol

What are some of the rediculous things you've seen at the ramp?

*Ridiculous. 
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 507 Officer
    I watched a guy at the cape yacht ramp one time struggle to get a sunken pontoon boat onto his trailer for a few hours (was still there when I got back from fishing). I then watched him proceed to drive off with the flooded pontoon hanging off the back of the trailer, shooting sparks up all the way down the street while the lower unit grinded away. Not sure why he didn't just pull the plugs.
  • Bottom KnockerBottom Knocker PUNTA GORDAPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    At Port Canaveral there used to be a bar/restaurant right next to a very busy public boat ramp. 

Grills Seafood and Tiki Bar
    http://www.grillsseafood.com/port-canaveral/ 

Ramp follys every day and night. Hilarious and some of the boaters were not too happy about all the hooting and hollering from the bar patrons.