What type of fish is this?

kml7989kml7989 Stuart, FLPosts: 1 Greenhorn
Hello, I’m new to this forum so if this post isn’t in the correct section, please forgive me. I’m curious as to what this fish is. I caught it about 5 or 6 miles off shore in Jupiter, FL. I’ve been searching all around but haven’t had any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Replies

• greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 413 Deckhand
    Very interesting looking fish. I tried searching the web for it, and can’t find anything.
  • Colonel KlinkColonel Klink Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Sand Tilefish
  • XafXaf Posts: 970 Officer
    edited June 12 #4
    Sand tile, better know in the south as a slippery ****.  I know the actual slippery d**k is a wrasse but a lot of people call sand tile slippery d**k.
  • marcel909marcel909 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Sand Tilefish
    right
  • HumpinitHumpinit Posts: 199 Deckhand
    They aren’t bad to eat. This usually means you are on sandy flat bottom with no structure.
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    The Ol' Slippery Richard.  Careful when these guys start rolling around, they've got some sharp spikes on them that can turn a good day bad with a quickness
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    benwah22 said:
    The Ol' Slippery Richard.  Careful when these guys start rolling around, they've got some sharp spikes on them that can turn a good day bad with a quickness
    Where are the bad spines?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,671 Captain
    edited June 11 #9
    I don't know about the spines either, at least no more than any other fish. Anyway, if you are fishing in Atlantic Federal waters they are regulated and fall into the Grouper aggregate. Just a FYI

.http://safmc.net/fish-id-and-regs/sand-tilefish/

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• benwah22benwah22 Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    Behind the gill plate - you can see them protruding here.  I've seen a couple people get cut by them when the fish spins around on the deck and they try to pick it up.

Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    Thanks 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,011 Officer
    These guys dig a hole and live in it - neat fish.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,671 Captain
    benwah22 said:
    Behind the gill plate - you can see them protruding here.  I've seen a couple people get cut by them when the fish spins around on the deck and they try to pick it up.

You are absolutely correct. For some reason, I was thinking "spines" when you clearly wrote spikes.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    I agree, sand tile

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • ziffleziffle Posts: 147 Deckhand

Amazing, I caught one of these last week on a Shimano flat fall jig in 200 feet off Key Largo and was wondering what it was called. That's the forum for you!

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,499 Captain
    benwah22 said:

That's the reason I don't ever grab a fish I've never seen before.  Some can put a hurting on you.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 558 Officer
    I caught my first jumbo golden tile. When I grabbed it be the gills.
    It's one way in. The gill rakers was something I never experienced
    before. I had to lay the fish down. Lift the gill plate and slowly pull
    my hand out. The bill of A broadbill swordfish carries toxins. What
    do you seA?
    We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 413 Deckhand
    edited June 12 #18
    Yeah, it’s just a personal thing, but I don’t like to grab slippery Richards. 😂 
  • adampaul883adampaul883 miamiPosts: 26 Greenhorn
    This fish is known as Sand Tilefish, it's very rare to find. I have never caught such type of fish, It's not bad to eat and very good for health.

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 431 Deckhand
    Here are some facts:
    The fish in question is a Sand Tilefish
    The sand tile and Slippery **** are NOT the same fish; the Slippery **** is a species of wrasse.
    The fish shown in the above youtube video is a kind of Goby, not a tile fish.
    They are not as rare a catch as you might think, but they are usually found in a very narrow habitat range which means they are encountered in specific circumstances.
    They generally burrow in rubble and shell bottom, making a large mound over the top of the burrow.  This is often on the outer edge of a reef where the old coral rubble fragments settle out.  If you're catching them while grouper fishing, you've probably missed your mark, but not by that much.
    They are, indeed, tasty.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 620 Officer
    ^^This

I don't know about the spines either, at least no more than any other fish. Anyway, if you are fishing in Atlantic Federal waters they are regulated and fall into the Grouper aggregate. Just a FYI

.http://safmc.net/fish-id-and-regs/sand-tilefish/
    That is F'n stupid!!!
  • MarlinBohnerMarlinBohner The darkest depths of Brevard countyPosts: 70 Greenhorn
    One of the best grouper baits you can put down

Everybody gets one