QUESTION

THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 410 Deckhand
Ruff One said:
We got battered. We rode it out at anchor and finally after storm let up, all the electric power was gone. No radio etc. We were going to spend the night till someone came looking. Finally a boat came within flare range. He stopped and jumped the battery and we were able to get in. Wow! Just bought a boost and jump starter It's in the boat all charged up. Learned a few things today.  
After this adventure, just wonder if a handheld VHF would have still worked.  Anyone have any ideas?  Must have been a hair raising experience, Tom.  Sure Gail was the calmest one on the boat!  
SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 860 Officer
    edited June 10 #2
    A handheld VHF would help if another boat is nearby and your boat battery was dead. But with their limited range of 3 miles or so, not able to reach land. I have 2 fixed VHF radios on my boat with 8' antennas on top of the T-top. One is always on channel 16 just in case. I also have a waterproof handheld in my ditch bag. It surprises me that so many here go out without ANY radio.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,853 Captain
    A handheld can reach waaaay further than 3 miles over open water. A handheld is an absolute must for anybody with a boat IMO. 
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,278 Captain
    edited June 10 #4
    The Coast Guard can hear you out at least 20 miles with a handheld with the new Rescue 21 technology. 

https://www.boatingmag.com/ask-ken-how-does-coast-guards-rescue-21-system-work

You only have 2.5-3 miles to another boat that has an 8 ft antenna. But handhelds with 0 gain antennas are great for talking to rescue aircraft since the signal is not compressed toward the horizon as with a standard 3 or 6 dg antenna. 

A handheld that is not turned on should be pretty resistant to EMP from a close lightning hit since it's not connected to the boat's wiring.  

You need at least 2 of everything when going offshore.  2 or more batteries, 2 radios, and 2 GPS units. A modern handheld can serve as a backup GPS. 
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 410 Deckhand
    The Coast Guard can hear you out at least miles with a handheld with the new Rescue 21 technology. 

https://www.boatingmag.com/ask-ken-how-does-coast-guards-rescue-21-system-work

You only have 2.5-3 miles to another boat that has an 8 ft antenna. But handhelds with 0 gain antennas are great for talking to rescue aircraft since the signal is not compressed toward the horizon as with a standard 3 or 6 dg antenna. 

A handheld that is not turned on should be pretty resistant to EMP from a close lightning hit since it's not connected to the boat's wiring.  

You need at least 2 of everything when going offshore.  2 or more batteries, 2 radios, and 2 GPS units. A modern handheld can serve as a backup GPS. 
    Thanks, Doc.  Really appreciate the info.  I've also used the Sea Tow automatic radio check 
    (channel 27) with my handheld way beyond Homosassa Marker 4 so the line of sight must also have to do with the antenna height.  Agree with two of everything when going offshore.  In the Gheenoe, "offshore" is pretty close in!
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 525 Officer
    I carry a handheld (with GPS and MMSI number) in the ditch bag right next to the EPIRB. I'm amazed that in this day and time so many people don't have their VHF tied to their GPS so that they can make a DSC call.

No power, getting dark and more threats of bad weather and I'm popping the EPIRB. They are so cheap these days that there is no excuse no to have one or at minimum a PLB.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,105 Officer
    edited June 11 #7
    I also carry a satellite texting unit from Inreach which is now part of GARMIN. Has a SOS button and you can pre-program numbers and messages to send info to. Main thing no one gets/got hurt.