Cobia Tournament Weather

Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,278 Captain
Looks like Mother Nature has it in for our friends fishing the Big Fish Tournament this morning. I hope they are all safe and don't get too beat up. It seems to be dissipating right now, but according to the radar, it was pretty nasty. 

I hate running offshore with a west wind. We bailed on a trip yesterday out of caution. 

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 860 Officer
    Looks like Mother Nature has it in for our friends fishing the Big Fish Tournament this morning. I hope they are all safe and don't get too beat up. It seems to be dissipating right now, but according to the radar, it was pretty nasty. 

I hate running offshore with a west wind. We bailed on a trip yesterday out of caution. 
    Looks like this weather pattern may stick around for a few more days. I might postpone my Monday trip for another day or two. No sense in taking chances offshore. The fish will still be there waiting.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,278 Captain
    The forecast calls for W or SW winds for at least the next 10 days.  That means morning thunderstorms that develop over the water.

I'm supposed to go out 3 times next week. It's going to be tricky when you have to run 1.5 hr to get to the snappers. 
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,831 Captain
    We got battered. We rode it out at anchor and finally after storm let up, all the electric power was gone. No radio etc. We were going to spend the night till someone came looking. Finally a boat came within flare range. He stopped and jumped the battery and we were able to get in. Wow! Just bought a boost and jump starter It's in the boat all charged up. Learned a few things today.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,531 Captain
    Holly crap!

You find the cause? Wednesday I had my hand on the throttle and got zapped a little riding in the tower. One struck behind me seconds later.

Today I felt the wind and said “screw this!”
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 860 Officer
    nick said:
    Holly crap!

You find the cause? Wednesday I had my hand on the throttle and got zapped a little riding in the tower. One struck behind me seconds later.

Today I felt the wind and said “screw this!”
    You were lucky! Here's what a close lightning strike did to one of my graphite trolling rods a few years ago. Also fried almost everything electrical on the boat..... including the motor's ECU.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • josh...BAMFjosh...BAMF Posts: 113 Deckhand
    It was pretty nasty this morning but finally got a little better in the afternoon. Could have been a really crappy long night. I think I may need to invest in one of those battery boosters too just for peace of mind.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,105 Officer
    Glad no one got hurt 👍
  • mobenmoben Posts: 135 Deckhand
    Might want to invest in a handheld VHF
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    Dang , didn't know it was that bad. The jump packs care cool.  I have a duel battery set on my main. Usually can switch over if needed. (never happened yet) But could . Plus , I just swapped out for a new battery.
    I git the rain Saturday and it was a bit lumpy running out this morning. Sprinkled on in afternoon..

"You'll get your weather"
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    yall must have been inshore of 35' where we were.   we just trolled into the storm and let it roll by, no lightning but we could see it begin toward shore.   Seas laid down about 12n.   Gumbo out to 30'.    viz much better at 35'.    Went out to 50' but still only short gags x 4 yesterday.    Last wk had no  problem limiting w 24, 27 gag in about 10 min in 25'.   This wk, diff story
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 876 Officer
    ****, some stories here.
    Ruff one - good to read all was well in the end. I was looking at one  of those jump kits on Friday.  I guess it's time. 
    y'all be safe offhore!
    Nick, I ad that same thing happen to me 2 yrs ago when that huge shelf cloud rolled in (i think a couple off cedar key had their new boat destroyed in that one), but rode in on 4 to 6 footers and 30 mph winds lighting all around with coast guard chasing us outta the pass and following boats back inside. It can turn real nasty real quick.
    This weather pattern has made the tarpon fishing real tough as well. What happened to spring and then east winds?
    oh, thats right it was called February in the 80's nearly every day.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 876 Officer
    that rod wow, never seen anything like that. (Look like Chubby Wise's bow would after tearin' up Orange Blossom Special)
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 525 Officer
    No power? I'd pop my EPIRB before spending the night if there was a chance of more storms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy