Some ask for it and we all get it.

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,443 Admiral
    Growing up playing sports prepared me for life.  You'd be hard pressed to find someone who can sit in a office chair for hours better than me. 

Captain Todd Approves

• jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,455 Officer

They don't teach you how to budget in high school, or to do your taxes, or anything I need to know on a daily basis. 

Basically high school is there to make sure you can read and write, and understand basic computer skills.  The rest is worthless.   Even the first 2 years of college have been shown to be useless as you're not studying your major just core classes.   Better off taking 2 years learning a trade so you can actually get a job. 
    What is your vocation? 

The reason I ask is that I use the knowledge I gained in high school and college on a daily basis in my white collar job...yet your experience seems quite different.

For what it's worth, I agree with you in your observation that high school could teach more real-life skills like budgeting, taxes, and the like.
    I remember thinking when I was taking typing that I would never need that for anything. Boy, was I ever wrong about that. I would up taking 2 courses in typing because it was taught at the "girls" school. lol
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,419 Captain
    edited June 13 #94
    cadman said:
    You forgot curling, golf, synchronized swimming and also pole dance, poker and high heel races :D.

Be serious.
    The point is about physical strength in several well defined sports in which a man against women has a huge advantage (like the guy of the OP clip) while a woman against men has a huge disadvantage.
    Not an opinion but a simple fact based on human biology that only a blind and unfair PC faith can negate. And against the faiths the common sense always loses.

You asked which sports, so I named them. You still seem transfixed on transgender males for some reason. 

Did I say it was fair? You might want to re-read my posts. 
    No problem with them, their lives, not my business unless they cause injustices (for instance like the OP clip situation).
    Simply I consider always unfair to allow men competing against women (and vice-versa) in several sports, you said (perhaps I misunderstood your words) that building fake females in laboratories using hormonal terapies it would be ok.

The only fair solution are transgender competitions. If they’re are not enough to arrange meetings I’m sorry but much better few disappointed transgenders due to their free choice than most persons disappointed (like all the gals in the OP clip) due to the transgenders’ free choice.

Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing with my "pasta hole" closed :grin !
    Being politically correct is a self-inflicted slavery.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,836 Captain
    Homosexual and bi-sexuality have always been with us.

What has changed in the past 50 years is that for several generations, the citizens of "developed" countries have been exposed to endocrine-disrupting chemicals.

These, and others chemicals that mimic hormones, are probbly responsible for the  large increase in "trans" this and "trans" that and the entire bizzaro universe where Facebbook recognizes 26 kinds of sexuality, and some say it's "really" 56!
    edited June 13 #96
    Homosexual and bi-sexuality have always been with us.

What has changed in the past 50 years is that for several generations, the citizens of "developed" countries have been exposed to endocrine-disrupting chemicals.

These, and others chemicals that mimic hormones, are probbly responsible for the  large increase in "trans" this and "trans" that and the entire bizzaro universe where Facebbook recognizes 26 kinds of sexuality, and some say it's "really" 56!

For sure is becoming an interesting business (hormonal terapies, psychological supports, surgeries, etc. a lot of expensive stuffs).
    Any tantrum in the western world becomes a business sooner or later (and US are often pioneer).

My YouTube Channel

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,385 Admiral
    Facebbook recognizes 26 kinds of sexuality, and some say it's "really" 56!
    56 'genders'

sexuality has an infinite spectrum of preferences 

for example here's a site highlighting some practices from around the world

http://https//www.scoopwhoop.com/inothernews/weird-sex-rituals/#.sgs03dh1i 

The Wodaabe Tribe holds a wife-stealing festival every year

In the Wodaabe Tribe of **** in West Africa, children are married in their infancy. However, at the yearly Gerewol Festival, Wodaabe men wear elaborate makeup and costumes and try to covertly steal another's wife. If they go undetected, their union becomes recognised.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

come to think of it this may not be all that unusual

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this one is

In Rural Austria, women feed armpit-flavoured apples to their suitor

In rural Austria, young women do a ritual dance with apple slices stuffed in their armpits. After the dance, each gives her slice to the man of her choice, and he then eats it.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,542 Admiral
    So do they just pick the pit hair out of their teeth?  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Apple with female pheromones, yum 😋 !

My YouTube Channel

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 24,003 AG
    cadman said:

, you said (perhaps I misunderstood your words) that building fake females in laboratories using hormonal terapies it would be ok.

Where did I say that? 

Mini Mart Magnate

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,080 AG
    2 genders. Male and female. There is zero physical evidence to the contrary. Transgenderism is a mental disorder.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,281 AG
    edited June 14 #102
    2 genders. Male and female. There is zero physical evidence to the contrary. Transgenderism is a mental disorder.
    The six biological karyotype sexes that do not result in death to the fetus are:
    • X – Roughly 1 in 2,000 to 1 in 5,000 people (Turner's )
    • XX – Most common form of female.
    • XXY – Roughly 1 in 500 to 1 in 1,000 people (Klinefelter)
    • XY – Most common form of male.
    • XYY – Roughly 1 out of 1,000 people.

All those big words up there are "physical evidence to the contrary".

Bigotry is a mental disorder, and ignorance is no excuse.

• dave44dave44 Posts: 7,036 Admiral
    The six biological karyotype sexes that do not result in death to the fetus are:

I’m having a hard time with my public school math. Does that count come close to 50?
    edited June 14 #104
    No, but it's more than the two that Battery recognizes.  And unlike the 2, 26 or 56 nonsense, it's actually provable by science.  

Does that help?  :)

Did you take science in public school too? 
    edited June 14 #105
    No, but it's more than the two that Battery recognizes.  And unlike the 2, 26 or 56 nonsense, it's actually provable by science.  

Does that help?  :)

Did you take science in public school too?  ;)
    Do you advocate  that all of the self described genders test themselves to find out where they fit? Is that your best science?
    edited June 14 #106
    dave44 said:
    Do you advocate  that all of the self described genders test themselves to find out where they fit?
    I'm not all hung up on what sex a person wants to identify with, or what they do in their bedroom, so I think we should leave it up to the person.  Live and let live, brother (or sister or whatever).

dave44 said:
      Is that your best science?
    No, that's not my best science.  It was offered considering the audience -- it's a simplification.  I was taking into account the public high school education and all.  ;)

Have a good night, Dave.  
    dave44 said:
    Do you advocate  that all of the self described genders test themselves to find out where they fit?
    I'm not all hung up on what sex a person wants to identify with, or what they do in their bedroom, so I think we should leave it up to the person.  Live and let live, brother (or sister or whatever).

dave44 said:
    No, that's not my best science.  It was offered considering the audience -- it's a simplification.  I was taking into account the public high school education and all.  ;)

Have a good night, Dave.  
     I am happy for you, For a minute I thought your family wasted a lot of money on your education .     To clarify your lost point, you didn’t start out making everyone out to be hung up on sex, but it seems to be your go to put down when you lose the argument. Not surprising, you are always trying to implicate someone you don’t agree with with some sort of racism or sexism or  weak excuse you come up with for being wrong.
      Good night mike.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,047 AG
    dave44 said:

dave44 said:

Have a good night, Dave.  
    The wafting scent of unearned arrogance trails him like ozone after a storm.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    edited June 14 #109
    The thing is, Fins, it's earned.

That was very nice prose, by the way.
    edited June 14 #110
    dave44 said:
    dave44 said:

dave44 said:

Have a good night, Dave.  
     I am happy for you, For a minute I thought your family wasted a lot of money on your education .     To clarify your lost point, you didn’t start out making everyone out to be hung up on sex, but it seems to be your go to put down when you lose the argument. Not surprising, you are always trying to implicate someone you don’t agree with with some sort of racism or sexism or  weak excuse you come up with for being wrong.
      Good night mike.
    Back before bed...

You're right!  I didn't start out making everyone out to be hung up on sex -- I was simply responding to your question about advocating genetic testing..and providing a reason for my implied "no" answer.  So if by responding to the question with an answer and a justification is my "go to put down", I am guilty as charged.

As for my "always trying to implicate someone [I] don't agree with with some sort of racism or sexism".  You are right again -- but it's not nearly "always" -- just generally when I respond to you, Fins, Battery, Salty, and others when they say something racist or sexist or xenophobic or just plain wrong.

The better question is why I bother...and on that I'll think a bit more.

See you guys tomorrow.....Mike

cadman said:
    cadman said:

, you said (perhaps I misunderstood your words) that building fake females in laboratories using hormonal terapies it would be ok.

Where did I say that? 

cadman said:

Why not transgender competitions ?
    It’s the only reasonable solution to save the sport values, protect honest athletes and stop the opportunistic transgenderism trend.
    Well, first you would need two more classes of athletes, second i doubt there is enough to make a competition. I doubt there is more than a few dozen nationwide competing at a level that would matter.

Why not just make them take testosterone blockers to even the field. If the genuinely wish to identify as a woman, then blocking the testosterone and increasing estrogen would be their desire any way.

It would also remove the unfair advantage, 

The the issue would be transgendered males. Taking additional testosterone might not be desirable since it would be performance enhancing. 

Would still be a tricky decision.

The real issue is those who may use it as an unfair advantage and not really be transgendered. I wonder about the Miller person since they competed on the male team just the year before. 

As I said perhaps I misunderstood (my bad English) your words.

My YouTube Channel

edited June 14 #112

Wow !
    Which are the sources, Mike ?
    That numbers appear very high to me.

Anyway I would bet my most valuable XY "tool" :D that at least 99% of transgenders (male to female) were born pure XY, so the natural hermaphrodites (various grades, the most cases have no impacts on the sexual lives of the persons who not even know to have a chromosomal anomaly) are only a tiny tip of the iceberg.
    And if we are speaking about pure males (with a biological/genetic perspective) who want become females the transgenderism would be nothing more than a social/cultural/psychological/business* trend.
    I wouldn't say mental issue, but for sure an extreme and modern behavior.

* prostitution.

My YouTube Channel

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,443 Admiral
    2 sexes.  7 out of 2000 are outliers, but still, without looking it up, I'm guessing those seven are born with either a **** or a ****.  Still only 4 genders.  Man, woman, hermaphrodite and eunuch. 

Peoe can choose whatever sex they want, just use the culturally appropriate bathroom.  If you can stand an pee, use the male restroom.

Captain Todd Approves

cadman said:
    cadman said:

Where did I say that? 

cadman said:

It’s the only reasonable solution to save the sport values, protect honest athletes and stop the opportunistic transgenderism trend.
    Well, first you would need two more classes of athletes, second i doubt there is enough to make a competition. I doubt there is more than a few dozen nationwide competing at a level that would matter.

Why not just make them take testosterone blockers to even the field. If the genuinely wish to identify as a woman, then blocking the testosterone and increasing estrogen would be their desire any way.

The the issue would be transgendered males. Taking additional testosterone might not be desirable since it would be performance enhancing. 

The real issue is those who may use it as an unfair advantage and not really be transgendered. I wonder about the Miller person since they competed on the male team just the year before. 

Yes you misunderstood. That was from an article discussing how the Olympics may handle the problem

A transgender female is born male but wishes to identify as female. Since they were born male, they produce Testosterone naturally (as long as they have their testes). This is what gives them the advantage, as i understood the article. One solution being proposed was to give transgender females (born male) testosterone blockers to negate that unfair advantage. This would supposedly even the field and make it fair according to what I read. It helps increase muscle bulk, bone mass, and physical strength. Blocking production would seem to decrease the muscle mass and strength. 

My only comment was, it may be the solution. If you wish to compete as a woman and was born a man, you have to take testosterone blockers to make the playing field even. I would assume further testing would need to be done to see if this is an actual solution and if the Olympics is going to allow it. 

It is not creating anything in a lab. I hope this clarifies what I meant.

Mini Mart Magnate

edited June 14 #115

What is the sixth one? I only count five.

Also Joshua Kennon is not a biologist. You could at least use a responsible source for your data and not an investment counselor. 

Mini Mart Magnate

BallaCoiPersici and anyone else who is really interested. Here is a nice article on the sexes and how people identify. There is more to it than just XY or XX.

https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943#/spectrum

As a clinical geneticist, Paul James is accustomed to discussing some of the most delicate issues with his patients. But in early 2010, he found himself having a particularly awkward conversation about sex.

A 46-year-old pregnant woman had visited his clinic at the Royal Melbourne Hospital in Australia to hear the results of an amniocentesis test to screen her baby's chromosomes for abnormalities. The baby was fine — but follow-up tests had revealed something astonishing about the mother. Her body was built of cells from two individuals, probably from twin embryos that had merged in her own mother's womb. And there was more. One set of cells carried two X chromosomes, the complement that typically makes a person female; the other had an X and a Y. Halfway through her fifth decade and pregnant with her third child, the woman learned for the first time that a large part of her body was chromosomally male1. “That's kind of science-fiction material for someone who just came in for an amniocentesis,” says James.

Sex can be much more complicated than it at first seems. According to the simple scenario, the presence or absence of a Y chromosome is what counts: with it, you are male, and without it, you are female. But doctors have long known that some people straddle the boundary — their sex chromosomes say one thing, but their gonads (ovaries or testes) or sexual anatomy say another. Parents of children with these kinds of conditions — known as intersex conditions, or differences or disorders of sex development (DSDs) — often face difficult decisions about whether to bring up their child as a boy or a girl. Some researchers now say that as many as 1 person in 100 has some form of DSD2.

When genetics is taken into consideration, the boundary between the sexes becomes even blurrier. Scientists have identified many of the genes involved in the main forms of DSD, and have uncovered variations in these genes that have subtle effects on a person's anatomical or physiological sex. What's more, new technologies in DNA sequencing and cell biology are revealing that almost everyone is, to varying degrees, a patchwork of genetically distinct cells, some with a sex that might not match that of the rest of their body. Some studies even suggest that the sex of each cell drives its behaviour, through a complicated network of molecular interactions. “I think there's much greater diversity within male or female, and there is certainly an area of overlap where some people can't easily define themselves within the binary structure,” says John Achermann, who studies sex development and endocrinology at University College London's Institute of Child Health.

These discoveries do not sit well in a world in which sex is still defined in binary terms. Few legal systems allow for any ambiguity in biological sex, and a person's legal rights and social status can be heavily influenced by whether their birth certificate says male or female.

“The main problem with a strong dichotomy is that there are intermediate cases that push the limits and ask us to figure out exactly where the dividing line is between males and females,” says Arthur Arnold at the University of California, Los Angeles, who studies biological sex differences. “And that's often a very difficult problem, because sex can be defined a number of ways.”

The start of sex

That the two sexes are physically different is obvious, but at the start of life, it is not. Five weeks into development, a human embryo has the potential to form both male and female anatomy. Next to the developing kidneys, two bulges known as the gonadal ridges emerge alongside two pairs of ducts, one of which can form the uterus and Fallopian tubes, and the other the male internal genital plumbing: the epididymes, vas deferentia and seminal vesicles. At six weeks, the gonad switches on the developmental pathway to become an ovary or a testis. If a testis develops, it secretes testosterone, which supports the development of the male ducts. It also makes other hormones that force the presumptive uterus and Fallopian tubes to shrink away. If the gonad becomes an ovary, it makes oestrogen, and the lack of testosterone causes the male plumbing to wither. The sex hormones also dictate the development of the external genitalia, and they come into play once more at puberty, triggering the development of secondary sexual characteristics such as breasts or facial hair.

Mini Mart Magnate

fins4me said:
    dave44 said:

dave44 said:

Have a good night, Dave.  
    The wafting scent of unearned arrogance trails him like ozone after a storm.
      I feel kind of bad for him, really. He must be pretty important to somebody, but it seems a little far fetched.
    edited June 14 #118
    cadman said:

cadman said:
    cadman said:

Where did I say that? 

cadman said:

Yes you misunderstood. That was from an article discussing how the Olympics may handle the problem

A transgender female is born male but wishes to identify as female. Since they were born male, they produce Testosterone naturally (as long as they have their testes). This is what gives them the advantage, as i understood the article. One solution being proposed was to give transgender females (born male) testosterone blockers to negate that unfair advantage. This would supposedly even the field and make it fair according to what I read. It helps increase muscle bulk, bone mass, and physical strength. Blocking production would seem to decrease the muscle mass and strength. 

My only comment was, it may be the solution. If you wish to compete as a woman and was born a man, you have to take testosterone blockers to make the playing field even. I would assume further testing would need to be done to see if this is an actual solution and if the Olympics is going to allow it. 

It is not creating anything in a lab. I hope this clarifies what I meant.
    Yes, my bad. Thank you for the clarification.

Anyway my opinion remains that if a person is born with gender problems I'm sorry but he/she shouldn't compete in sports where some gender characteristics can make the differences on the performances (competing against the opposite sex, of course). Also the hormones controls is unfair to me, at the end anything that can give an advantage through pharmacological methodologies is doping, even when the drug is used to fit into a category (like a boxer who takes some drug to keep his weight suitable for the lower category).

Isn't discrimination to me, is just to be fair with the almost totality of the athletes. The well-being of the most is less unfair than the well-being of the few.
    At the end it's the Nature's cruelty, we have to accept this.

My YouTube Channel

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,542 Admiral
    I'm just wondering how golf courses are going to cope with all the different genders, used to be the ladies tees, and then it varied by skill level.   How close are they going to put the transgender tees? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    edited June 14 #120
    cadman said:
    BallaCoiPersici and anyone else who is really interested. Here is a nice article on the sexes and how people identify. There is more to it than just XY or XX.

https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943#/spectrum
    Mike, more the science analyses in deep more we discover that nothing is simple as it appears, on every field of human biology.
    Anyway the human being is not only the lab biology, human being is a unbelievable complex synergy of biology, education, behavior, sociology and so on. The result of this synergy is (has been) the definition of the "normal" human and the definition of the human (more or less) "not normal".
    "Traditional" genders are the expression of the "normal" humanity, all those new genders are the expression of several exasperated researches that want found, at any cost, the evidences that any human perversion* has a solid scientific background.
    But analyzing with attention this researches you can discover that are always based on ideologies, is not genuine science. For instance I'm sure that also pedophilia can be justified with some biological/scientific facts but nobody is researching in this way (fortunately, and "for now"). 

So my point is a question: cui prodest all this new gender science ?

* neither in negative way nor a moral evaluation, in my thought means only a not common ("normal") sexual behavior/attitude.

My YouTube Channel

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,080 AG

So all of these either reproduce or cause to reproduce? So... they are either male or female.

If I came to you if you were my doctor and told you that I self-identify as an amputee, would you refer me to a surgeon or a psychologist?