"Parts Unknown" ... no not McDonalds chicken tenders ... the chef on CNN

GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,377 Admiral
https://pagesix.com/2018/06/08/anthony-bourdain-dies-of-suicide-at-61/

Another one bites the dust. 

Wonder what he thought it tasted like?
“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,516 Admiral
    I enjoyed his show No Reservations.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    Sucks big-time.  He was a great person.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • RStyleRStyle Posts: 1,288 Officer
    Interesting how many of these very rich and successful people end up killing themselves. I  heard once they reach such high level of success, the pressure to maintain that level, in this case continue to make a very successful show year after year,  is super intense. Many Michelin rated restaurant chefs also kill themselves when they can’t keep their Stars. Hard to believe that someone with many millions in the bank can’t walk away...... 
    RStyle said:
    Interesting how many of these very rich and successful people end up killing themselves. I  heard once they reach such high level of success, the pressure to maintain that level, in this case continue to make a very successful show year after year,  is super intense. Many Michelin rated restaurant chefs also kill themselves when they can’t keep their Stars. Hard to believe that someone with many millions in the bank can’t walk away...... 
    I don't think it's all that different from the average person who is under stress living paycheck to a paycheck with mouths to feed at home.   It's a different kind of stress, and more social media evident because they're out there constantly promoting themselves and working on new material, but just like a day at the office you're as good as your last deal/sale/transaction.    You feel that pressure to succeed no matter what, doesn't seem like he got the joy from it as much as people thought he did.  

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,719 AG
    sad news
    No political signature
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 9,555 Admiral
    Maybe he figured out how far down the toilet CNN has dropped and couldn’t get out of his contract??
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,439 AG
    Vote for the other candidate
    Mister-Jr said:
    Didn't he kill himself in France?
    Mister-Jr said:
    Didn't he kill himself in France?
    That's what I read.
    so does that count as a US suicide or a European one?   
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,015 AG
    Easy access to rope.
    edited June 8 #13
    so does that count as a US suicide or a European one?   

I'm not the keeper of records, but since he is a US citizen and lives in the US, I call it a US suicide. 
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,747 Captain
    The guy ate and drink for a living, all over the world.
    That's a real head scratch-er. I would like to know what happens in the hours before the suicide.
    How do you get to that point? Or more importantly...How do you avoid getting to that point?

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
    That's a real head scratch-er. I would like to know what happens in the hours before the suicide.
    How do you get to that point? Or more importantly...How do you avoid getting to that point?

I don't think it much matters what you do for a living, depression doesn't care.   I don't think the hours leading up to it matter much either, the decision was probably simmering in the back of his mind for years, I could be wrong, but I don't think its one singular situation that triggers it.  I think you get there over a long period of depression.    But again just my take

Hell he may have done and seen so much he thought "it's just not going to ever be better than this" and ended it.   He may have had a serious medical condition that would require some kind of chemo or treatment and thought "F*** it" I"m not going out that way. 

My best friend committed suicide four years ago.  He had a great life and I have no clue why.  Very disturbing.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,803 Admiral
    He fought his demons for years, since childhood, by his own admission. A former heroin addict who then turned to alcohol and fought depression.  No one should br surprised other than he made it to age 61.
    Deo Vindice
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,094 AG
    Yep, big time drug addict and an arrogant a s s .

Suicide is some crazy stuff.  You never realize it until you've been affected by it.  
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,747 Captain
    I’m very sad to hear it. I enjoyed his shows and his personality. He was one of the few celebrity liberals who actually listened to people he disagreed with and tried to understand them and even live in peace with them. If most liberals were like him in that regard, they wouldn’t be all that bad. 
    I saw the episode where he had lunch with Ted Nugent....
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Wondering why my post was deleted. Just said he had a ghost and drugs were part of it. 

Nice to see the mods are still around.........................

I guess someone might agree: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5822257/A-life-fervor-food-curiosity-Anthony-Bourdains-journey-kitchen-global-cuisines.html

"Twice-divorced Anthony Bourdain went from being a chef -whose drug addiction had him digging paint chips from his carpet to smoke them - to winning legions of fans with his culinary adventures"

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,433 Admiral
    We've talked about this before.  Success and money does not cure mental illness.  If you are asking your self why, that's how bad it was with him.  If you can't imagine doing that, then you can't know why. 

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    We've talked about this before.  Success and money does not cure mental illness.  If you are asking your self why, that's how bad it was with him.  If you can't imagine doing that, then you can't know why. 
    I need to start some kind of movement for all the people with money but who aren't happy, they can give me some money and I'll show them how happy it makes me and then maybe that will give them happiness as well.   They're happy, I'm happy, everybody happy. 
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,195 Admin
    Please don't politicize this or any other topic. NO POLITICS, PERIOD. Get it?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
    You really are an idiot. You get the gold cup!

It's like saying don't talk about guns when you shoot yourself. 
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Thanks! Great to have you back!
    I'm not back. Guys like you is why we left. Rich tried to keep it together. 

You have a good day sir. 
  • td.td. Posts: 4,695 Captain
    Abel, what would your conservative estimate for the number of pancakes liberally coated with syrup that TTT can wolf down in one sitting be?
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,549 Captain
    nuevowavo said:
    Please don't politicize this or any other topic. NO POLITICS, PERIOD. Get it?
    Not following you here. I made a very respectful and heartfelt post about what a reasonable liberal he was and how interesting it made him and how I've known some people like him. That's politicizing? And in a sea of nothing but political posts which is what most of what gets posted here? 
    How about "what a responsible person he was"?
    We're trying (our darndest) to temper the right vs. left, Rep. vs. Dem., liberal vs. conservative, the other side is evil/bad/nutjob arguments.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,433 Admiral
    Repugnacans!

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    Repugnacans!
    Did you mean "Repugnacrats"?