Vacuum seal/ freezing kingfish

WHISKEYTRAINWHISKEYTRAIN Posts: 92 Greenhorn
hey guys, got a couple nice kingfish today and was looking to make a bunch of smoked kingfish dip. I work all weekend so wouldn’t be able to smoke it until at least Monday. If I vacuum seal it and freeze it, will it affect the fish in regards to smoking. I’ve heard it doesn’t freeze well, but wondering if the same applies if you are just going to smoke it hen it defrosts. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

thanks

matt

Replies

• ASK KNOTASK KNOT Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    freezing kings raw causes the oils to break down the flesh and will make somewhat mushy,  I recommend a light brine dry rub then into your vacuum.  1 part kosher (diamond krystal not mortans) 1 part sugar and dried seasonings (garlic, tarragon, red pepper flakes, parsley and chives).  Dust your fish lightly on all sides then freeze.  When you thaw its already to go into the smoker.  Let me know.  
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,155 Captain
    It’s better to smoke the fish  then freeze it. But if you can’t, you can’t. 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,349 Captain
    I freeze them regularly to smoke later. As far as dip, I can't tell much different.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • BryanCBryanC Posts: 621 Officer
    I always brine & smoke it first, then vacuum seal and freeze it.  It lasts a very long time if you do it this way.  I smoke it until it's pretty dry.  That works well for fish spread anyway. I've taken year-old packages out of the freezer to make fish spread, and it tastes good.
  • WHISKEYTRAINWHISKEYTRAIN Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    Thank you guys. I appreciate it
  • XafXaf Posts: 970 Officer
    I used to put it in a plastic bag with the brine and freeze it to smoke later.  I would let it thaw slowly in the brine, rinse it off, and let it air dry before smoking. Never could tell any difference when making fish spread.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,008 Officer
    If Im smoking monday Im marinating now. Just let it sit in the fridge in the marinade over the weekend.
    MARINADE
    quart of warm water
    cup of brown sugar
    1/2 cup salt
    bottle of soy sauce,small
    1/2 cup of chopped Garlic
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 576 Officer
    No need to freeze it if you're going to use it on Monday. Just vacuum pack it and throw it in the meat drawer in your frig with the temp set for meat (coldest) or throw some ice on top of it. It'll keep like that for a week. Much better quality smoking it from fresh than frozen. 
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,258 Moderator
    CaptJ said:
    No need to freeze it if you're going to use it on Monday. Just vacuum pack it and throw it in the meat drawer in your frig with the temp set for meat (coldest) or throw some ice on top of it. It'll keep like that for a week. Much better quality smoking it from fresh than frozen. 
    ^ completely agree
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!