Lake Harney gator hunting advice.

DJWDJW Posts: 529 Officer
Anybody hunted it? How'd you do?
Obviously it has some gators, but does it hold large numbers or more spread out?
Looks like it is not that big and I imagine we'll see all of it before we are through. 
This is our third year and we have a little experience but are far from experts. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• CrashDuckCrashDuck Posts: 500 Deckhand
    Which week did you get?
  • DJWDJW Posts: 529 Officer
    First week
  • ibhuntngibhuntng Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    Good luck! This is my third year. I think I got a good spot. We will see what happens. Lol a blind hog finds a acorn every once in a while. I have blue Cypress wma first week
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 328 Deckhand
    IMO it is one of the easier lakes for beginners. (Less debris etc)  Also has a lot of big gators which isn’t any secret.
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,378 Officer

Last time I hunted there was when hurricane Frances was coming on board.  Everything was evacuated and we were going in.  My wife outright harpooned her first gator that night as the first feeder band hit us.  Adrenaline was going good and she allowed us to work for the second gator.  When the second band hit she called it a night.  Worst part of the trip was buying ice for gator for trip back across the state.  People thought we were hording ice. 

You will find out that you can hunt more than just the lake.  There is plenty of river open to you as well.  Take a look at the map FWC provides and read the permit carefully.  http://myfwc.com/media/4212778/alligator-unit-maps-500-to-515.pdf  I enjoyed the place but was a long drive from the Tampa area.  I found more lakeside than in the river area.  If you have time to scout I would recommend drifting the river vrs running it as many big gators may drop before you even know they were there. 

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 171 Deckhand
    We hunted it a few years ago and found the gators to be very skittish and were unable to motor up to them.  This was with a flats boat not an airboat.

There are definitely some nice ones in there.

Near the southern end of the lake at the mouth of the St. Johns we saw more numbers, the larger ones we saw were actually cruising mid lake.  Many of them were going under the water when we were 100 yards away or more.  This was drifting with the wind or using the trolling motor  not running the outboard.

We were complete rookies at the time and I am sure that was a big reason we were not successful. 
  • DJWDJW Posts: 529 Officer
    The advice we are being given from friends with experience is to move toward them, make note of where they go down, then drop bait right on top of them, finally pull back 200yds and wait.
    Anybody try this approach?
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 939 Officer
    DJW said:
    The advice we are being given from friends with experience is to move toward them, make note of where they go down, then drop bait right on top of them, finally pull back 200yds and wait.
    Anybody try this approach?
    That can be a very successful method. 

Also so drive over them, drop bait, keep driving away slowly, turn off motor and drift. They get used to people driving over them and away. The tricky ones can swim away if you hover over them and then back up. The boat stopped or the change in prop wash can make them swim is my only guess. They try to act sneaky. Let them think they are, I am of the opinion it makes them more confident to take a bait.