Grouper Bait

What would you guys say is the best grouper bait?

Replies

• Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,171 Officer
    In my experience, changes almost every time we go out. Alternates between pinfish, spots, sand perch, pigfish, cut mackeral, etc.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    Caught em on the most nasty chunk squid you can imagine, caught em on small shrimp, caught em on very few cut bait, in my opinion a live greenback is about as good as it gets.   

I've never tried fresh cut ladyfish for grouper, but holy hell big trout seemed to be lining up at the back of the boat. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • pnj2108pnj2108 Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    In my experience, changes almost every time we go out. Alternates between pinfish, spots, sand perch, pigfish, cut mackeral, etc.

Caught em on the most nasty chunk squid you can imagine, caught em on small shrimp, caught em on very few cut bait, in my opinion a live greenback is about as good as it gets.   

I've never tried fresh cut ladyfish for grouper, but holy hell big trout seemed to be lining up at the back of the boat. 
    I was just curious what others have experienced i have usually had consistent luck on charter fishing boats with sardines, pinfish, grunt chunks lol
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    Cut ladyfish is really good as far as cut bait goes..
    "You'll get your weather"
    Cut ladyfish is really good as far as cut bait goes..
    Once we froze it and tried to use it again 2 days later it was worthless though.  too mushy.  But fresh, it was absolutely killer. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,502 Captain
    When their chewing, anything you out down will do.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,423 Admiral
    Slough said:

Yep. That said lizardfish is good tough bait.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,460 Moderator
    Here is one. Took a commercial guy from the keys out years back. We were at anchor and no one had a keeper grouper all day. Caught a small shark. He asked if he could use some for bait ? Sure.. Took a fillet and cut the skin off.
    First keeper red grouper of the day ! He said it is good bait but had to be skinned. Longline guys do it all the time.

Just sayin..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 881 Officer
    in summer, lady fish chunks and live pinfish, in cooler months threadfin, thats for gags, for red grouper i have a buddy that everytime he says im going for a red grouper he cuts up a grunt drops down and sure enough he catches one, it doesn’t happen with no one else
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 947 Officer
    When the reds were hungry it was usually squid.
    Gags are always picky from day to day. On a slow day, a large pigfish head produced my biggest to date.
    We used to butterfly pinfish too, put them on a jig head. Not necessarily the best but got some bites when things were slow.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,278 Captain
    For gags, cut ladyfish or mullet, whole Spanish Sardines with the tail cut off. Live pinfish during the summer when the bite is tough and you need to drop a bait right on their heads. You can suspend the pinfish 4 ft or so off of the bottom to give you a better shot at keeping them out of the rocks. Dead pinfish should be butterflied rather than fishing them whole.  Cut grunts in the fall after the baitfish are gone. 

Red grouper will eat just about anything most of the time. They probably like squid the best. But so does everything else.

We generally us very large cut baits in order to discourage grunts and snapper. But the red snapper are so big now that they hit the big grouper baits. 
    tankard said:
    Slough said:

I'd have to disagree, of all the things I've sent down to the depths for grouper, lizardfish has never caught me a single thing.   
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,278 Captain
    I've caught them on lizardfish many times. Usually cut up. Back when I used to commercial fish, gags would often have lizardfish in their stomachs.

Gags will key on a particular bait if something is particularly abundant. When they do that they don't even see anything else. That's what makes them picky at times along with a general abundance of bait during the warmer months. 
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 303 Deckhand
    I've never had any trouble catching them with live pinfish.  5' leader, drop it down, reel up lead 5' off the bottom and hold on.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,065 Officer
    When sorting through small grouper, grunts, and red snapper a large pinfish is hard to beat for gags. These are not the pinfish you buy or trap. Must be caught on way out. Must be big enough so the other fish don't mess with it. During the cooler months frozen sardines are best. 
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,208 Captain
    tankard said:
    Slough said:

I'd have to disagree, of all the things I've sent down to the depths for grouper, lizardfish has never caught me a single thing.   
    I’m with you on this one Soda, I’ve always heard lizardfish are by far the best gag bait, cause gags hate them and will eat them even when they aren’t feeding, heard the same about snook and lady fish)... I’ve used live and cut lizards a few dozen times and have never even gotten a short on one.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,831 Captain
    Gutted a cobia one time and he was stuffed with lizard fish, sort of shows you where they feed. I don't see why a grouper wouldn't like them also. I still use pinfish, the biggest I can get. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GreenwingGreenwing Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    Small live blue runners, cut the top and bottom of the tail off to the fork.
    tankard said:
    Slough said:

I’m with you on this one Soda, I’ve always heard lizardfish are by far the best gag bait, cause gags hate them and will eat them even when they aren’t feeding, heard the same about snook and lady fish)... I’ve used live and cut lizards a few dozen times and have never even gotten a short on one.
    I've used live and cut lizardfish and never caught anything on them.  Doesn't mean they won't catch fish I guess.  last year in Marathon we were catching Mangos on cut houndfish, this year they wouldn't touch it but were smashing mullet and ladyfish. 
  • Proline2357Proline2357 Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Fresh filet of grunt use to work great on the Red grouper and bigger Gags for us.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,839 Admiral
    cut mullet for reds
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Octopus. Nothing else comes close at all. 
  • spearjunkyspearjunky Posts: 163 Deckhand
    Octopus is good lizard fish are good grunt, sandperch, rasps and Spanish . I only buy 1 box of bait when I go offshore everything else is caught and used 
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    tankard said:
    Slough said:

Hook those lizards in the tail.   One of the best grouper baits for me.   
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,423 Admiral

I always used the lizardfish as cut bait, unless they were really small.

One time I was fishing a lizardfish head with some meat left on it and caught a keeper gag and a keeper ARS back to back drops. So I guess I have a soft spot for it lol.

• TCow86TCow86 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    squirrel fish
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,420 Officer
    cut spanish