Ga vs Fl public land

Ghostrider11bGhostrider11b Callahan, FlPosts: 15 Greenhorn
Okay so as I've stated in my few posts I am fairly new to the Florida Public land hunting. I hunted a few seasons as a guest on a buddy's club in middle Georgia with fairly successful results. Florida WMA's though, as has been heavily discussed are not as forgiving. Not having the finances for $1,500 club dues I will be looking towards the WMA's again this season. I've already placed in my application for quota hunts at a few locations both for general gun and archery seasons (Jennings, Four Creeks, and Cary for proximity reasons) but if I dont get drawn it will be the Osceola WMA most likely for me.

Keeping that in mind my question is this. As a disabled vet I literally only paid $20 for my license in florida that covers pretty much anything you can do in the state with a bow, rod or gun. But have low odds of actually seeing something this year (which wont prevent me from trying). But do I spend my time in the woods here repeatedly or being that I live 10 minutes from the Georgia border, do I spend the couple hundred dollars for a Georgia non-resident license to hunt the WMA's up there which have at least a somewhat better odds of a successful hunt? Looking for thought from people who have hunted both sides of the border WMA's (and no this isn't "where should I go" its just "which do ya'll think is a better gamble")

My motivation for hunting is both for the utter enjoyment of the tranquility of nature as well as for putting food on my family's table that isnt stuff full of more chemicals than you can count if that factors in at all.

Replies

• gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 807 Officer
    Pick a wma and learn it inside and out. Then go to another one and do the same. Eventually as time progresses, you will be able to put a better plan together after learning each WMA . One may be flooded one year on another may have a fresh burn or environmental modification, it all has effects on game. You will also learn about hunting pressure i hunt certain areas in archery that i won't even waste my time in when general gun comes. You just need to spend the time learning the areas. Have some  fun and get out and start learning. It also helps to keep a log of hunting areas as well, keep as many details written down so you can compare later.
  • Ghostrider11bGhostrider11b Callahan, FlPosts: 15 Greenhorn
    i understand that is what I need to do no matter what and I have already begun that process. My curiosity is, being so close to Georgia, would it be better for me to spend the extra money to get a Georgia license and do that same process up there or stick to the WMA down here that I've already scouted the last two years and do it here in Florida instead
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 939 Officer
    Is doe harvest permitted on the Georgia wmas without special permit?
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 729 Officer
    Pick a wma and learn it inside and out. Then go to another one and do the same. Eventually as time progresses, you will be able to put a better plan together after learning each WMA . One may be flooded one year on another may have a fresh burn or environmental modification, it all has effects on game. You will also learn about hunting pressure i hunt certain areas in archery that i won't even waste my time in when general gun comes. You just need to spend the time learning the areas. Have some  fun and get out and start learning. It also helps to keep a log of hunting areas as well, keep as many details written down so you can compare later.
    Except that with the Quota System you can only Hunt Florida *SOME* WMA's every OTHER year because you loose preference points when you are drawn leaving none for the following year. So you have to learn a WMA (Quota) and a Romp and Stomp when you can't get in.

So *I* hunt FL when I can get drawn and hunt north when I can't and use the Romp and Stomp as a backup after I get through Archery Seasons up north.

If they would let us draw in 2 day increments vs the 4, more people who hunt Fl. I know I would target mid week and leave the weekends for others..Most people don't hunt the who 4 day cycle as evidenced by the # of cars in the WMA during the hunt. LOTS OF NO SHOWS

If I were you and was that close to GA...hunt GA and see some game and THEN hunt FL late season and learn the WMA's

JMHO
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,035 Officer
    edited June 8 #6
    For whatever reason GA is easier hunting. 

I'm not a big proponent of FL deer hunting - short quota hunts, over-hunted romp & stomp and I don't live to hunt so I don't dedicate my life to it, which results in few if any harvests.  Sitting in a stand in a mosquito infested swamp in 90+ degree heat just isn't my idea of fun.   

Before you toss $350 at GA - read the regulations and go scout the WMAs you are interested in to see if that's what you want to do.  

I will say that anyone who can reliably find mature buck deer on public land in FL can hunt anywhere in the world successfully.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,680 Captain
    I would concentrate my efforts in GA, and hunt Fl only when I didn't have time or plans to hunt GA. I several friends in Broward and Dade who have completely given up hunting deer anywhere in FL because of the quota system only allowing for very limited opportunity. All are meat hunters and are just as happy dropping a doe as they are one of these mammoth FL 109 trophy 8s we are now attempting to grow statewide. They are willing to NOT buy a FL hunting license, or spend $8k on a lease, and instead drive once or twice a season to places like Alabama, GA, SC, and West Virgina just to hunt their public land.

None of that really matters, BUT, those gentlemen, and their kids, have in essence stopped dropping $100 a season in the states coffers on hunting licenses and stamps. I am almost to that point as well.  Not really the same situation as the OP, but just giving him an idea how some guys who live half a days drive farther south than he does have began breathing new life into a all around **** poor opportunity. 
    Big Mak said:
    I would concentrate my efforts in GA, and hunt Fl only when I didn't have time or plans to hunt GA. I several friends in Broward and Dade who have completely given up hunting deer anywhere in FL because of the quota system only allowing for very limited opportunity. All are meat hunters and are just as happy dropping a doe as they are one of these mammoth FL 109 trophy 8s we are now attempting to grow statewide. They are willing to NOT buy a FL hunting license, or spend $8k on a lease, and instead drive once or twice a season to places like Alabama, GA, SC, and West Virgina just to hunt their public land.

None of that really matters, BUT, those gentlemen, and their kids, have in essence stopped dropping $100 a season in the states coffers on hunting licenses and stamps. I am almost to that point as well.  Not really the same situation as the OP, but just giving him an idea how some guys who live half a days drive farther south than he does have began breathing new life into a all around **** poor opportunity. 
    My son will be taught to hunt deer (God willing) in states like Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, and Tennessee because there are thousands of acres of public land open to hunt with no restrictions.  My children and myself harvest as much food as we legally can from the wild. We do not hunt for bragging rights and we don’t support members of the public having fewer opportunities to hunt to support ours or others bragging rights. 
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,794 Admiral
    I only deer hunt fl out of convenience now when I can. We had a nice group who spent thousands doe week getting together. Nowadays even the hi dolla leases have a hard time filling the numbers. it's really sad to see where we are now. I especially love the times when WMA's have these internet announced road closures..LOL try to get down some of the roads we hunted back in the 90's any day of the week. And if you made it good for you , you deserve to hunt the area. 
    Yep, I remember when you  almost needed a buggy or decent 4wd just to get past the power lines in Corbett. Now, half the drive is freaking black topped and you can't travel through the area at any time without seeing at least one car load of punks, hooligans, immigrants, time wasters, or other miscreants joy riding the grades in their Altima.
    In Aucilla U had to lock em in at the check station...
    Three lakes w of the turnpike was for men only, now its graded out rocks in the deep spots. But I guess the guy in the prius needs the same odds as the guy who used to change out to tractor tires on weekends, then back to street tires to get home in his street legal hunting truck
    We need as many people as possible to support hunting. I killed a lot of deer while driving a corolla back in school. They fit into the trunk with just enough room for the bow and clothing. 
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 1,758 Captain
    edited June 9 #14
    And the myth of a statewide effort to grow "mammoth FL 109 trophy 8s" or that the only reason to harvest a buck any larger than a spike is for "bragging rights" continues to be floated as the gospel truth. 

A few here can always be counted on for a good for a laugh at least!
    So now Walker starts the "MYTH" of a 'statewide effort'. 
    Your words. Not mine. LOL
    And the myth of a statewide effort to grow "mammoth FL 109 trophy 8s" or that the only reason to harvest a buck any larger than a spike is for "bragging rights" continues to be floated as the gospel truth. 

A few here can always be counted on for a good for a laugh at least!
    “We can’t grow big bucks that are easy enough for me to kill unless you protect them from those other guys” waaa waaa 
      - walker dog 2018

There will always be big deer in a population. Avoiding harvest of bucks with visible antlers is bs politics, not based upon breeding or population studies. Show me a study where does didn’t get bred because of too much buck harvest.

also. Ironically, as has been stated by others. Harvest that protects deer with genetics less then a certain number of points lends to those genetics being passed on and the eventual loss of larger “rack” genetics or their great diminishment in the gene pool, Counterintuitive. 
    I see you're a well practiced fiction writer!

So a fawn born in the glades in july is just a good as a fawn born in february? Good to know.
    I see you're a well practiced fiction writer!

So a fawn born in the glades in july is just a good as a fawn born in february? Good to know.
    All the deer in the glades are concentrated on the levees during the rut and the season is closed by special order then anyway. How many bucks are required?
    edited June 9 #20
    More than there are, if the does cycle more than twice.
  • Ghostrider11bGhostrider11b Callahan, FlPosts: 15 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the opinions (short of the high-school level back and forth pissing contest). I kinda figured that would be the suggestion I just have a hard time justifying $350 on an outta state license.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,577 Admiral
    North Fla..South Georgia...Bout the same as far as hunting.
    Soils are good , Your good.
    There ain't anymore deer in N .F. than S. Georgia. Good spots are good soils no matter what State there in. It's not Magic just across the Border....
    I hunt far NW Big Bend region and we have plenty of deer but mostly Scrub Bucks.
    Soils....

Killin and Grillin :grin