Your home improvement project?

TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,273 AG
Building an entire house in North Carolina is way out of my league, but I do a bit of home improvement from time to time,and I often look on in wonder at the handiwork some of the folks around here share.    

My current project is putting some gently-used cabinets in my garage and I've found out it is not quite as easy as one might imagine -- who knew level and square were two different concepts (?) -- but more on that later.

What home improvement project are you working on?

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,439 AG
    Hurricane shutters going up in a couple of weeks.  Obviously,  I'm not doing it personally. 
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,516 Admiral
    If your garage is anything like mine it's not flat or level either.   

I've got a laundry list of honey do crap to do,  I have taken false drawers (maronda home) and turned them into functional drawers in the bathroom by building the drawer and adding rollers/tracks under the counter.    

Next thing is pretty simple, i want to run some PVC from one of the spigots around the corner to the back of the house, add a Y splitter and run one end to an outdoor shower, the other end to my fish cleaning table.   Should be easy and pretty cheap to do so.  

Minor drywall repairs are pretty easy.  Had an overloaded shelf fall a few years back tearing some drywall out.  fixed it easy peasy.   

Two years ago I bought a small tile saw and tiled a bathroom in a couple days.   3 months ago I tiled the front entry way of the house.   Pretty basic stuff.   

Done some basic plumbing, changing out cartridges on showers, new water faucets, things like that.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • tagtag Posts: 8,742 Admiral
    Installing a new pump, filter and chlorine generator for my pool to get it ready for replaster and paver deck.

just put in 100 feet of new fencing and two new gates thanks to Irma. 

just had new insulation put in the attic and a new air conditioning installed 

new roof put put in last year
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,229 Captain
    edited June 6 #5
    That's kind of funny, I used to install cabinets for a living, I typically did 2-  3 bedroom houses a day, that's a complete kitchen and two bathrooms per house, sometimes I did 3 houses, on some larger homes that had large complicated kitchens with a lot of angles I would spend a day on those.

of course that's new home construction so I started with a clean slate.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    I am thinking of adding a breaker box for a generator for the house. Got the generator and used extension cords before, that is a pain.
    Tight Lines, Steve
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,777 AG
    edited June 6 #7
    Redoing a 1948 kitchen from bare walls and floor. Just installed some redone (sandblasted and powder coated) metal kitchen cabinets. Called Youngstown Kitchen by Mullins. They turned out real nice. Going to install a new linoleum floor soon, but after cutting some larger windows. Already tore out a wall.

Youngstown Kitchen

Linoleum flooring is snap in and chartreuse. Linoleum is a green flooring just like the old timey stuff, made with linseed oil, resin, limestone and wood shaving. Surprisingly, it is one the most expensive floors you can find. But our kitchen is small 9x9 and we got a great discount last year due to Irma. Product is marmoleum.

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,982 AG
    Spent the last three years rebuilding my parents old house where my brother lives. I am in the process of moving in with him this month.

We ripped out the bath tub in the bathroom and put in a shower, Installed new drywall, toilet, sink and new tile in there Redid the kitchen by painting the upper cabinets and putting in new lower cabinets and counter top. Installed a dishwasher which the house never had.  Repaired a couple of holes in the ceiling from a roof leak, had a roofer put on a new roof. 

Repainted the interior and exterior. Built a concrete wall to enclose the carport and make it into a garage. Had a friend who was a mason due the concrete work on the wall. Installed a garage door, which is the biggest pain in the **** job you will ever do. You will learn a lot about level and square installing one of those,. If it ain't level it don't work.

Built an exterior storage shed for the riding mower and garden tools. I had a garden area that separate the front and back porch. i walled this in and put in a floor. It will be used for storage right now. 

i am sure i am missing some minor items. 

Now once I am moved, I need to work on my house,. i need to get the roofer to put a new roof on it, replace the vanity in the guest bathroom, repair a weak spot on the kitchen counter behind the sink, install new carpet, repaint the interior (exterior was done 3 or 4 years ago) and sell the house. 

I then have a 1953 international pickup truck I am going to restore. 

Mini Mart Magnate

Nice, a friend of mine had a '63 scout, that thing was a tank.
    Tight Lines, Steve
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,094 AG
    I'm never at home long enough to do anything.  
    I may be entitled to compensation.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,017 Admiral
    edited June 6 #11
    Didn’t realize the neighbors had too much info in the pic, sorry.
    My project. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,497 Captain
    surfman said:
    Nice, a friend of mine had a '63 scout, that thing was a tank.

Back when I was 18 i drove an International pick-up truck for a parts house.  Your right it was a tank it got 5-6 MPG & it was a 6 cylinder.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,177 Captain
    Since we moved in a year ago, poured a 12'x30' porch slab, added gutters, hung 4 fans added light kits to a couple more, fenced the back yard, built a stand for my wife's porch swing, put shelves in the garage, and added landscaping. I paid a screen company to screen in the porch., did the rest myself with some help from my sons and brothers. Helped build 8 6x6 box stands for our hunting club, too. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,365 Admiral
    New Hunting Camp coming up for me..
    When I first got the place I stuck in a 36 ft. RV , a 24x26 Metal building , a 12x24 Guest room with full bath and a nice deck.
    Now I'm getting ready to add 15 ft. to the cook room this is 12 x20 now , Park a new 5th wheel with a metal canopy over that and a 12 x 24 premade shed 2 ft away from the RV for a living room...about 30 K in all and lot's of sweat. Keeps me out of trouble and in the long run it's cheaper than a bad Wife. I already spend a month solid there come Hunting Season and soon to retire and almost live there.
    Far North Fl. Big Bend. via Naples Fl now.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,275 AG
    Improvements?? We currently live in a nice mobile home. In the process of having a house built as I type on the land we live on. Hope to be in by Christmas.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,648 Admiral
    after Hermine in 2016 two of my center piers settled and dropped that part of the house 1" (aprox).
    Jacking up that part of the house 1/4" at the time and letting it adjust, then replacing drywall etc.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,844 Captain
    Have added a few additions and remodels in Ft Lauderdale in the mid 80's. Moved to Ocala and built a 4000 sq. Foot home at 36 from the ground up. Digging the footers to setting the trusses with a crane to sheeting the roof. Could never do it again. I was 36 years old and it nearly killed me. Took me a year and it was awesome. I owe it all to my late dad that drew the plans, shot the site and handed me a shovel and said start digging. Thanks Dad!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,497 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    after Hermine in 2016 two of my center piers settled and dropped that part of the house 1" (aprox).
    Jacking up that part of the house 1/4" at the time and letting it adjust, then replacing drywall etc.
    There's a guy in Tallahassee that installs helical piers & raises houses back up level.  It runs about $2k a pier. 
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,433 Admiral
    edited June 7 #19
    I'm as handy as a slug.  The only project I can think of is I did a patio with pavers.  It actually turned out pretty well for my first time.  I even had a nice slow slope for draining.

The only reason it turned out well is because it didn't involve a hammer, nails and wood.

I was also terrified I was going to bend my axle on my truck bringing the pavers home.  I had no idea how heavy 40 or so 1'x1' pavers would be.

Captain Todd Approves

• Gary SGary S Posts: 766 Officer
    I restocked beer in the refrig.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 677 Officer
    Over the winter I built my wife a new chicken coop and enclosure after a bear showed me my weak spot.
    20X20 with a 5x10 coop on stilts. All the 4x4s are concreted in the ground. Hard wire buried 2ft down with the full ienclosure covered in hard wire from the sides to the top.
    Added a solar electric fence that has 2 runs at 4” and 2’, also added a motion light.
    Will be installing a solar automatic coop door as soon as it arrives.

Only thing done to the house so far this year was had seamless gutters installed and for obvious reasons I paid a professional to do it.
    Jason :USA
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,377 Admiral
    edited June 7 #22
     redoing our baths … just started today …  not both at the same time
    before

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,433 Admiral
    Reatocking the beer.That's a task I'll never finish.

Captain Todd Approves

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,273 AG
    edited June 7 #24

So I'm not the only one?  :)   Yeah, the garage is neither flat nor level, but it was the "not flat" part that really struck me by surprise....and causes everything to be "off" by about 1/4".  UNACCEPTABLE!

To be frank, I'm not sure how construction people deal with all the imprecision.  As a computer guy lacking construction experience, the concept is foreign, and I struggle with how to go from "by plan" to "as necessary to be installed".

Have fun...Mike
    1outlaw said:
    That looks really nice.  I like the color too.  :)

So I'm not the only one?  :)   Yeah, the garage is neither flat nor level, but it was the "not flat" part that really struck me by surprise....and causes everything to be "off" by about 1/4".  UNACCEPTABLE!

To be frank, I'm not sure how construction people deal with all the imprecision.  As a computer guy lacking construction experience, the concept is foreign, and I struggle with how to go from "by plan" to "as necessary to be installed".

Have fun...Mike
    LOL … I rented a  house once that did not have one square corner, straight wall or level floor. It was off significantly. Which most folks didn't notice until they got fu'ed and started looking at things a little differently.  It  could be very disorienting. Especially when playing The Mother of Invention and other bizarre stuff. You'd have to get up and take a walk outside to get your balance.  
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

• cprcpr Posts: 9,292 Admiral
    Does fixing Irma dammage I just found count? I still have a 60 foot pine to take down, should make a nice fire.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 766 Officer
    You want not square and not level? I had a 12 X 60 trailer in the 70s, My dad who was a great carpenter came over to help me panel it. It drove him crazy. Nothing was square, all corners had to be scribed to fit. He hated the little trim pieces trailer manufactures put on every seam because they didn't fit right.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,803 Admiral
    My wife would NEVER allow me to personally do a home improvement project, she is more than happy for me to pay for them however. We have within the last 12 months had the interior repainted, removed 3 sliding glass doors and replaced with French doors, had all carpet removed and replaced with tile and all windows replaced. Painters are scheduled to be here Monday to begin painting the exterior of the house and I have the sales person for a whole house generator scheduled for Tuesday. After this she says I need to have the HVAC system upgraded.
    Deo Vindice
    Gardawg said:
     redoing our baths … just started today …  not both at the same time
    before

Today

Parkerboy said:
    My wife would NEVER allow me to personally do a home improvement project
    Why not?

Update on the cabinet install -- I cut the countertops last night with a jig saw and downward toothed blade.  Now to try to get the cuts straight enough so the seam is tight.....