NUMBERS?

ok, I know this is a tough question and many of you will be like...hell no i am not giving those up. I am not a big offshore person, there for I have no clue where to go, I am looking to go to anyplace between 80 to 100 foot of water. Even if I could get numbers to where everyone already know would be fine with me. please help i would love to go this saturday...weather is looking right!!!
2018 shearwater 27

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,906 Captain
    That is a really tough get...I would go get the hot spots chart and start from there.  There will be #'s out by the pipeline that should produce well on there.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    We have done well with even inshore spots that were well known the trick is to be first on the scene.  That meant leaving O'Neals at 6 when sunup wasn't until after 7 some times but we got to the spot first, anchored and fished.  Then around 8 or 830 everyone else is showing up but you've been on the spot already for over an hour.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • greg123168greg123168 Posts: 265 Deckhand
    is there even a website that has common numbers for like the pipeline?
    2018 shearwater 27
  • C-HAWKC-HAWK Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    Might as well do what all the other folks do that don't have any numbers... Go to the area you want and look for 3 or 4 boats close to one another.
    C-HAWK said:
    Might as well do what all the other folks do that don't have any numbers... Go to the area you want and look for 3 or 4 boats close to one another.
    What do you think all those boats with radar do?   It's not to look for birds :D
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    C-HAWK said:
    What do you think all those boats with radar do?   It's not to look for birds :D
    yeah...but I dont want to be that guy...
    2018 shearwater 27
    C-HAWK said:
    yeah...but I dont want to be that guy...
    That's admirable.   I do agree with what was mentioned above, get a top spot map and go from there, and the best thing to do is once you get to your target depth, keep an eye on the finder and see if you can locate some structure.    Anywhere you stop out there, someone else is going to assume is a spot and motor up to check it out so don't feel too terrible.   

I was down in the Keys last week at a spot that a buddy has been fishing for 40 years, there was a boat about 1/4 mile away fishing, i'm not going to motor off somewhere else just so he doesn't feel pressure.   Fish your spots but just be courteous about it. You'll still be in the minority.  
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 591 Officer
    Take a look at strikelines charts, their numbers will put you on some fish and get you started. Other than that you can use the money you’d spend on gas looking and buy some numbers to get you started.
    Take a look at strikelines charts, their numbers will put you on some fish and get you started. Other than that you can use the money you’d spend on gas looking and buy some numbers to get you started.
    thanks...i guess i will make a trip yo tampa bay fishing outfitters to get a map
    2018 shearwater 27
  • TerraCeiaDoradoTerraCeiaDorado Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I used this site when I first moved up to the west central area. You can pay to get the coordinates, but I’ve found that if you click on the name of the marked spot, you can usually find the gps coords by googling 
    https://www.floridagofishing.com/reefs/gps-reefs-interactive-chart.html

I used this site when I first moved up to the west central area. You can pay to get the coordinates, but I’ve found that if you click on the name of the marked spot, you can usually find the gps coords by googling 
    https://www.floridagofishing.com/reefs/gps-reefs-interactive-chart.html

thats just what i did and i have a few numbers that i am going to try...thanks...i am going to try mw 83 fin barge
    2018 shearwater 27
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    I sent you a message - email me.
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,936 Moderator
    Check your PM.
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 273 Deckhand
    do some research online. I was googled some dive sites that were chock full of mitigation #s, wrecks, rock piles, etc....
  • SofthammerSofthammer Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Any numbers I bought even were crap. The only way I can find any decent spots is blast out to your target depth and troll some Xraps around while scanning for spots. I did that yesterday and the result was 4 bonus kings in addition to my ARS limit. 
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,500 Captain
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.