›

Epic day (90 minutes!)trolling the ditch!

winderbillwinderbill Posts: 273 Deckhand
9 gags in 90 minutes, left them biting!

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,936 Moderator
    Wowza, what a great day, a trolling clinic.
  • Tanman34Tanman34 Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Great catch!! Way to go!!
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,500 Captain
    Nice.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • sas0061sas0061 Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    When you troll the ditch, are you starting right at the mouth of the bay? Or do you pick it up offshore a little ways?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    That crunch method killing it. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 273 Deckhand
    All the fish were caught in an area west of the skyway and east of Egmont. The magic depth was 35-37’ just off the edge of the channel, not on top of the ledge. And yes, I looked up and gave props to Capt Crunch on the way in😉
    Four ounce jig with a big twister tail behind a #4 planer. Runs close behind the boat, makes for easy turn around when working just the one rod.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    That's some awesome cleaning table picture.   One of these years we'll put a keeper gag in the box from Tampa Bay.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,039 Captain
    Wow dude! That's incredible!
    God, save the South!
  • MacDocMacDoc Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Great report! Heading out Sunday to try my hand at it. How long of a leader and what poundage do you use behind the planers?

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 651 Officer
    90 minutes, that's respectable!
    sorry MacDoc, been out of town and haven't checked in for awhile. I use 20-25' of 125lb mono, no need for flouro...it's all in the sticky thread above "trolling the ditch"
  • MBC223MBC223 Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    First attempt today trying to pull a keeper out of the ditch.  Pulled an xrapmag30 and a number 3 planer with a 3 oz bucktail + 8" grub.  Started way up north by the Gandy headed south against the incoming.  Caught one 21" gag on the planer, only fish of the session.  Actually more motivated to figure this out now, attempt number two will follow this week.

save the xrap for offshore ledges, stick with planers in the ditch
     Actually more motivated to figure this out now, attempt number two will follow this week.

toughest part of the summer is all the weeds from the rain runoff, especially on the outgoing tide. The slow incoming can be kinder, as it was with me that day. Run a #4 planer closer to the boat with that jig and I think you'll get better results

• MBC223MBC223 Palm Harbor, FLPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info Bill.  I didn't want to retool the gear that I already had, so I was using 65 pound braid ahead of the planer with an 80 pound leader of 25'.  

Now I see why you use the heavy mono, having zero stretch put an enormous amount of strain on my 4/0 rigs.  I'll save the braid for the plugs.  I'll try again with the number 4 planer this week and repost.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,022 AG
    Well done Bill. Good to see you're still at it. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln