Yellowtail Snapper Question

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for your responses.

So this summer I am looking forward to anchoring and chumming for yellowtail/mutton snapper. Lately I have been more conscious on how I handle/store fish. I have been using an insulated fish bag with plenty of ice to keep fish as fresh as possible. Also I have been bleeding/gutting the catch.

My question: If I am anchored with a school of yellowtail behind the boat, will the bite shut down if I bleed/gut my catch? Will the yellowtail smell their own blood and shut down the bite?

What are your thought or theories?

Replies

• kci-miakci-mia Posts: 184 Deckhand
    I prefer to store my fish in sea water/ice slush.

I sometimes will cut the throat/gill on large fish to bleed them out but never gutted them before putting them in the cooler.  I'm sure yellowtails are going to mind some fish guts 
  • triplejstriplejs Posts: 197 Deckhand
    No need to do any of that while the fish are biting  We throw them in the cooler where we just took the chin and bait out of. Take advantage of the bite when it's hot and clean dish later. Especially yt 
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    A saltwater slush is the best way to store your catch,,,make sure the fish are fully submerged. There is zero necessity to bleed or gut the tails before you get back to port. Immediate bleeding is best used for all species  of tuna.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 958 Officer
    No need to gut and bleed yellowtail! More importantly let them chill under ice overnight to firm them up ,and when you fillet them DONT RINSE  THEM!  , just bag them up and rinse them and pat them dry before cooking them. Tap water ruins the meat. 
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 321 Deckhand

To iki or not to iki, that is the question!  B)

http://www.nzfishingworld.co.nz/latest/2015/08/iki-or-not-iki-question

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,108 AG

To iki or not to iki, that is the question!  B)

http://www.nzfishingworld.co.nz/latest/2015/08/iki-or-not-iki-question
    Hahahahaha! That brings back memories of learning how to Iki NZ Snapper from my bro-in-law down there on his boat!

My wife (a Kiwi) and I found an Iki Gun in a local Burnsco store (a smaller, NZ version of West Marine) to give our bro-in-law but I have never considered using one here in the states. Might be great for dolphin and cobia....... if you can hold them down long enough!!  :o
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 576 Officer
    Make a seawater and ic slush (more ice than seawater as the ice will melt) and you're good to go. You can keep the fish this way overnight and they will look like they just came out of the water. When you filet the fish put the filets right back into a clean slush. Drain and bag. No need to gut.