Exploring new spots - 6-2-18

trs912trs912 Posts: 49 Greenhorn
Since this is my first report, a little background.  I've been here about 3 years so I'm still learning.  I've been really lucky to have met two really good fishermen (one is Captain Bly) who have shown me soooo much.  I have a Sea Hunt 25 BR BX and usually fish with my wife (haven't been married long).  Fortunately she loves to fish and has embraced my passion.

Anyway, we have been making the run to the pipeline as often as possible.  But the gas bill is killing us.  On the way out I've been marking ledges in around 50ft of water.  We decided to do a little exploring and fish some of these marks, as well as a couple that Paul gave us.

Getting bait has been a bit challenging.  Found some around St. Pete marina and tried to chum it up with no luck.  Chased it around a bit before giving up to go to the Ft. Desoto pier.  It was spotty and deep but we managed to get enough to get us through the day (barely).  Sabikied some bigger stuff on the channel buoys but that was slow as well.  

Got out almost to the first spot we wanted to fish and got a nice show so we stopped.  Immediately began pulling in small red grouper.  When that slowed down, it was grunts, grunts, and more grunts.  Pretty much everywhere we stopped it was the same thing.  Lots and lots of undersized red grouper and even more grunts.  Not a single snapper all day.  Did catch a pretty big flounder.

Salvaged the day with this bad boy.  LOL, it looks so small in this pic.  It wasn't.

Replies

• BfiBfi Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    trs912 said:
    Since this is my first report, a little background.  I've been here about 3 years so I'm still learning.  I've been really lucky to have met two really good fishermen (one is Captain Bly) who have shown me soooo much.  I have a Sea Hunt 25 BR BX and usually fish with my wife (haven't been married long).  Fortunately she loves to fish and has embraced my passion.

Anyway, we have been making the run to the pipeline as often as possible.  But the gas bill is killing us.  On the way out I've been marking ledges in around 50ft of water.  We decided to do a little exploring and fish some of these marks, as well as a couple that Paul gave us.

Getting bait has been a bit challenging.  Found some around St. Pete marina and tried to chum it up with no luck.  Chased it around a bit before giving up to go to the Ft. Desoto pier.  It was spotty and deep but we managed to get enough to get us through the day (barely).  Sabikied some bigger stuff on the channel buoys but that was slow as well.  

Got out almost to the first spot we wanted to fish and got a nice show so we stopped.  Immediately began pulling in small red grouper.  When that slowed down, it was grunts, grunts, and more grunts.  Pretty much everywhere we stopped it was the same thing.  Lots and lots of undersized red grouper and even more grunts.  Not a single snapper all day.  Did catch a pretty big flounder.

Salvaged the day with this bad boy.  LOL, it looks so small in this pic.  It wasn't.

Great report and thank you for posting. It's good to see someone post thats in a similar position as I am as far as the time here (3 years for my family and I) and still learning. I try to get on the water as much as possible to learn and when I'm not on the water I'm scanning the message boards to learn from the great resources on here. One tip that has really helped me that I saw on here was to keep a fishing journal. It's really cool now because I'm to the point where I can finally look back at trips from the same month in the previous year. Again thanks for posting and congrats on the great catches!!!
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 309 Deckhand
    Way to go, man. 
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,936 Moderator
    The day saving Gag, that's awesome. 50 ft-ish?
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    The day saving Gag, that's awesome. 50 ft-ish?
    Yeah, Freelining a pinfish.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,794 Admiral
    in my 4th year myself and know enough to know i don't know anything.     But starting off with a 25' boat is definitely an advantage.   Just keep learning and trying new things.   good report BTW. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • LMKLMK Posts: 552 Officer
    Good report, appreciate your persistence, keep it up!!!
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 49 Greenhorn
         But starting off with a 25' boat is definitely an advantage.   
    It cost me 2 years of retirement, but a man gotta do what a man gotta do.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 1,906 Captain
    Nice job Burch...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,039 Captain
    Very nice report. 
    Each trip will get better and better. 
    Congratulations on the Grouper!
    God, save the South!
    trs912 said:
         But starting off with a 25' boat is definitely an advantage.   
    It cost me 2 years of retirement, but a man gotta do what a man gotta do.
    I'd say that's 2 years well spent.  
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 273 Deckhand
    good report, I know about those gas bills, that's why I pretty much stick to the bay. Been trying to sell my boat...may have to start offering trolling clinics again;)
    @winderbill
    If I had the money I'd own that boat already lol.   My buddy has the exact same boat with a Johnson 150 I believe he bought it new and I know those are great boats.