Kings out of Ponce?

I normally fish out of st Augustine, but Friday I am taking a few friends out off Ponce inlet.  Any suggestions for what we should shoot for?  Kingfish slow trolling?

Replies

• Bearded_LadyBearded_Lady Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    edited June 5 #2
    Public reefs have snapper... and I just got a 30lb king on North East Ridge just free lining a chunk of grunt behind the boat while bottom fishing.... also saw several schools of Bonita hitting bait on the way out.
  • fishhutfishhut Satellite BeachPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    Public reefs have snapper... and I just got a 30lb king on North East Ridge just free lining a chunk of grunt behind the boat while bottom fishing.... also saw several schools of Bonita hitting bait on the way out.
    best way to catch kings. I you can find the cigar minnows or herrring, even better.
  • LakotaRainLakotaRain JaxPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    shallowv said:
    I normally fish out of st Augustine, but Friday I am taking a few friends out off Ponce inlet.  Any suggestions for what we should shoot for?  Kingfish slow trolling?
    I also normally fish out of St Aug or Mayport.  I made a trip down to Ponce this past Saturday.  Started at about 130'.  Lot's of life but no takers.  Came back in to 68' for the kids to bend a rod on some bottom fish.  With the boys wearing out the lanes and beeliners I free lined a frozen cigar minnow.  10 min later -  WHAMO!!  BIG King on the line..  Had to be close to 50lbs after it bottomed out the 40lb scale i had on board!  Spent all of Sunday tending the smoker...
    25 Sea Fox Voyager...

• Nick_BrutonNick_Bruton Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    We went out of ponce yesterday for snapper and the conditions made the ride rough in a bay boat so we trolled between spots...Nailed some kings on ballyhoo over ledges..lots of Cuda though.. Free lining live sardines over the ledges probably would have filled the boat.