Thoughts on the new deer survey

binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,794 Admiral
Had a few people tell me they were too busy doing paperwork, or didnt care to comment because they are done hunting in Fl, but a few who did said the survey lacked meat? Anyone have any input?

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 945 Officer
    Did you kill deer?
    and In which county?
    Something always causes me to be VERY weary of surveys, especially the vague ones.
    Did not submit.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,794 Admiral
    What I am hearing... just imagine whichever county has the most deer killed, it will be decimated in a season.
    That's not it at all.
    Tell me exactly what you are gathering info for and give me space to voice my opinion, then I will answer all day long.
    Not after I respond.
    What are you up to anyway?
    Is this like the lube for a big BOHICA?:D
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,680 Captain
    Did you kill a deer in FL last year? No.... Thanks for taking the survey. We just want to know how many hunted and how many did or didn't kill...

Didn't ask for the reason or my satisfaction level.... Very suspicious. Would have loved to tell them I was covered up with does and fat 4 points without brow tines inside one of the non HABITAT managed WMAs I frequent. Something smells rotten in Tallahassee...
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 651 Officer
    Yeah, I answered No and got the immediate, thanks for taking the survey.. I thought what the hell?  That's it!

You guys are killing me.  I didn't think much of it at the time.  Should I be thinking twice about answering those surveys?? 
    ABSOLUTELY
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Posts: 729 Officer
    I took it...they noticed I didn't buy a hunting license last year and asked why. I slammed the Quota drawings and how I only got to hunt an area close to home every other year so I'll hunt FLA when I get what I want and go north when I get crap. I told em I am leaning on staying up north because of the lack of access close to home (less than 2 hour drive)

So the survey was not only looking at those who killed something but your history of buying licenses
    x2 will only justify further reduction in harvesting and hunting
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 807 Officer
    edited June 1 #11
    I don’t like answering these surveys. Last time  we had them the apr’s came along. I don’t think we have the genetics, nutrition and everything else that are needed for deer to reach some of the criteria. I know everyone kills big deer everywhere all over the state, but on our local wmas especially the romp and stomps, im not so sure the apr’s are a benefit.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 937 Officer
    They had the big survey last year about increasing small game and other things on the wmas. Anybody heard of any changes?

Because if they don’t start increasing access for small game and during migratory birds on all the wmas they need to be challenged on every website, Facebook and Instagram about wasting money on hunter recruitment when they have done nothing to improve hunting access on types of hunting that can handle basically unlimited hunting access by the public. Or is there a squirrel shortage I’m not aware of?
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 1,758 Captain
    edited June 2 #13
    I took the survey. Easy way to help the state better manage the resource. Black helicopters must have been fueling up because I never saw them.

I get a kick out of reading the constant complainers comments about why they didnt participate in the survey. Another opportunity to help turned down. Unfortunate but not unexpected.
    Wonder how many people who dont kill a deer and lie and say they did?
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 807 Officer
    Wonder how many people who dont kill a deer and lie and say they did?
    Or the other way?
    edited June 2 #16
    Most people don't have any issues with being honest. The few who deliberately provide false information are likely the same ones who have other ethcal challnges as well. I doubt they have any more influence on the survey results than they do in anything else.
    Hogwash! That survey was the absolute most ridiculous attempt at getting any SIGNIFICANT information that fwc has ever sent. On its face, it was simple deceit.   Leading questions to skew the outcome with no other USEFUL AND  IMPORTANT information to back up the answers? Give me a break. Most of us have no problem actively participating  in the process if given a honest chance, but it should certainly be balanced, forthright, and a little comprehensive. I get that Benelli rides helicopters and wears tinfoil hats, and I'm a naturally hard lined skeptic, but there are a few other very reasonable and level headed guys posting here that are generally more "open, receptive, and forgiving" towards how FWC attempts to conduct it's business.

I always thought science universally asked "why?". Being the big scientific thinkers some of you are, I would have assumed most would actually be interested in the reasons behind a simple yes or no. After all, isn't  that how real science based decisions are derived from? Maybe hunting surveys are just political tools these days... One thing for sure, this survey had about as many options as a captive Christian does at the hands of a fundamentalist jihadi; and likely will result in the same fate.

I predict we will see significantly more OBSTRUCTIVE deer hunting legislation created in the next few years with this obtuse survey being used as one form of support. I guess it's just easier, more economical, and more scientifically sensible to just do it this way than to get in the field and actively MANAGE the wildlife and land...
    edited June 2 #18
    Which question was leading? 

Was it the one where they asked you if you hunted deer in FL last season or was it the one where they asked if you harvested a deer?

Definitely some hogwash. Just not from the source you suggest. 
    Which question was leading? 
    BOTH
    Where was it leading? You do not know either.
    You have too much faith in a broke Richard system.
    edited June 2 #20
    Both were leading... to a dead end. Just like the last waterfowl survey... They were designed to lead to a predetermined destination... You know better too, so knock off your high and mighty bs.

The problem is you just don't give a rats **** if the public hunter gets the short end of the "survey". 
    Too funny. Basically what your saying is don't ask you anything because your afraid that something might change.

Luckily there are enough people who don't mind answering a few straight forward questions to help the FWC gather information that can help them improve management. 

You're like the person who complains about the results of an election they didn't vote in.
  • WildManWildMan Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Find it interesting that some complain the FWC doesn't collect data, but when they do then they claim it is for nefarious reasons.

Also, if you read the email, it appears this is an initial survey to screen folks for a follow-up phone survey where more details would be collected.  Basically a stratified, random sample....

Would be curious what the complainers feel should be done to collect data to their satisfaction?
    A better question to ask would be... We are conducting this survey because we are further looking into X and we would appreciate if you answered a few questions to determine weather or not..........

FWC probably does not acknowledge the fact that Hunters are much smarter than they were 30 yrs ago. And therefore think they dont feel the need to share what it is they have in mind. That's an old management tactic. Nowadays people respond better when they feel they are engaged in the process.

Many yrs ago FWC and CCA held a snook contest, little did we know that data would be used to close seasons,and implement further restrictions. They will never be able to pull that same stunt 2x within the fishing community and it has lasting effects in peoples minds. Same may be going on here, but with the lack of information provided one can only speculate whats this all about!!!!!!! + BOHICA
    See post #4
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,569 Admiral
    Bet the Horse back Riders and Hikers filled out their questionnaires ..
    Guess they'll be making the rules if you sit in silence.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,980 Captain
    The NEXT QUESTION....Do you support a strongly enforced TAG AND REPORT SYSTEM?
    These "surveys" are what the Deer Biologists have to work with to gauge hunters' success rates and other information for the DMU management...In my opinion....Not so accurate nor useful....!

If we simply had a Phone in and/or place on the FWC web site to report...sex, points, location, date...at the time of the kill, the FWC would have much better info on a timely basis....Good data means the biologists have more confidence in their conclusions....bad or suspect data means the biologists will always take the CONSERVATIVE direction on Points and Bag Limits...and doe take....Hunters who do not report their kills in a DMU are "shooting themselves in their foot" as a low harvest number will reduce the bag limit and doe take in that DMU every time....
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,833 Admiral
    I took it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    4WARD said:
    That's not it at all.
    Tell me exactly what you are gathering info for and give me space to voice my opinion, then I will answer all day long.
    Not after I respond.
    4WARD said:
    That's not it at all.
    Not after I respond.
    Here Walker... Pay very close attention. I even double quoted it for you to fully grasp...

I know you're adept at putting words in people's mouths for them but this is all anyone here is trying to say. At least those with any sense and wisdom who still hunt public land in FL...
    And yes, I took the survey too...
    Please share the words I put in your mouth.

I took the same survey you did and it didn't scare me even a little.

I've taken it in a couple of previous years too. It's not a county by county survey like has been implied here and it didn't decimate any deer herds the previous 6 times they did this.

I understand what what they are asking and why they are asking it. I also understand that if I didn't harvest anything, it will only take 2 questions to complete the survey. If I did harvest a deer then there will be a  couple more questions they need to ask.

The purpose of the survey has nothing to do with giving anyone the short end of anything. Knowing that you believe that is their intent tells me that there isn't anything that they could do that you wouldn't be suspicious of.

All they are doing is gathering an estimate of the harvest so that they can see if trends indicate goals are being met or not.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,968 Admiral
    We, both Louann and I, took the survey......without having any worries as to the FWCs motives or lack of effort.

My experience with the FWC is that they are basically on our team, that they are responsive, especially to polite well reasoned arguments. Maybe come at what they do with that mindset?