Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Scalloping question

Planning on taking my two boys in a couple weeks. I haven't been since I was a kid. I remember using a 4 or 6 foot net with a wooden handle and green net. Haven't been able to find anything similar. 

What do you guys recommend for kids 6 and 8? I plan to let them float with their life jackets to get them. Probably let the oldest try without his but doubtful on the youngest. Figured the long handled net would make it easier for them. 

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Senior Member Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,968 Captain
    I never found the net thing to work very well.
    At that age they should be able to get them if you can find them in the 4’ range.
    when we went deeper( which was normally the case) I would stay with them and have them point them out and carry the bag. You dive and let them bag em up.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Ire of AnguillaIre of Anguilla Junior Member Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    4 ward nailed it. DEEPER was the key last year and the previous year. Let's just hope all the scallops aren't wiped out on opening weekend. I have never seen that many boats on the Homosassa. Crazy! Good Luck! 🌴🌴🌴🌴🍹🍹🍹🍹
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Senior Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,391 Officer
    edited May 2018 #4
    Sounds like you were using a crab net. They are still available, but may need to be ordered. But getting into the water will be more effective.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • 4WARD4WARD Senior Member Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,968 Captain
    If you have not been out in a while, I cant stress enough for you to stay with the kids and keep a lookout on the boat.(Preferably someone that is not afraid to yell at and threaten an idiot).
     Seriously has gotten that bad. You HAVE to have a lookout. One dad to another
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Slb9981Slb9981 Member Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys for the advice. 
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Senior Member dockside or afloat...Posts: 1,913 Captain
    4WARD said:
    If you have not been out in a while, I cant stress enough for you to stay with the kids and keep a lookout on the boat.(Preferably someone that is not afraid to yell at and threaten an idiot).
     Seriously has gotten that bad. You HAVE to have a lookout. One dad to another

AMEN...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • SassaWhalerSassaWhaler Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 117 Deckhand
    Things have gotten real bad. Too many folks that have the $$$ to buy a boat but should not own one. As said, lookout on the boat is a must. Found some good ones in shallower later in the season last year. I tend to stay off the waters during scallop season unless have company over that want to go out. Gets real bad when storms blow in and everyone heads for the hills at once. Wow. Hells gate here they come. Being in the water is fun in itself, scallops are the bonus. Making it home safe, priceless!
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Junior Member Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Agreed with what everyone has said.  Fortunate enough to be able to go out of an area around Homosassa that isn't heavily traveled by the masses or the cowboys and those that do run it know how to run or they lose their engine.  But once out on the grounds, best keep your head on a swivel.  I'm a little nervous about the 10 day window down in Pasco this year.  Especially with the fact that the area hasn't been open for years and just regular boat traffic is dicey at best with how close some yahoos like to run to other boats.  But I digress and that's for a different section of the forum.  Safety is key and you and the kids will have a blast.  Just pay attention.