Making the best

Out of a terrible forecast.  We made the 500 mile trip yesterday and knew we would only have a couple hours before it got nasty this morning so we eased out of Port Everglades and manger to pick a few up for dinner.  Might have released a couple of them had the circumstances been different but if I’m driving 500 miles, I’m eating fish for dinner.  Did end up with a nice blackfin.  

We’re looking for ideas to take the kids fishing if we get a window the next couple of days back in the intercoastal waterway. Any suggestions? Troll for Jack’s or snook?   I’ve never been down in the area and only familiar with what I’ve watched on the web.

Replies

• CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 392 Deckhand
    edited May 2018 #2
    Well done considering the weather and 500 mile drive...your great effort was rewarded.

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 689 Officer
    Well done...congrats.
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 791 Officer
    Throw whatever you can, live baits, live shrimp, jigs, DOA Cal, DOA Shrimp at any and all docks north of the inlet including marinas and restaurants.  15th Street Fisheries dock holds big Snook and monster Tarpon.  Anywhere there is water you can fish as long as you don't anchor or touch their docks.  Moving tide is key and evening or nights are better.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,626 Captain
    Nice catch.
  • TunachaserTunachaser Posts: 205 Deckhand
    Pretty work 👍👍
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 305 Deckhand
    Troll live baits (pilchard and mullet are the best) or lipped plugs around either port everglades or hillsboro for tarpon, cuda, snook and jacks. There are plenty of big fish around now and the tarpon and snook are stacking up in the inlets. Troll the baits slowly and have someone holding the rod, when they feel the bait get nervous or hit you have to free spool for a bit because they usually miss on the first try or two, especially if you're using mullet. Trolling

Also great job offshore, were you fishing live boat or trolling?
  • YammyYammy Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Troll live baits (pilchard and mullet are the best) or lipped plugs around either port everglades or hillsboro for tarpon, cuda, snook and jacks. There are plenty of big fish around now and the tarpon and snook are stacking up in the inlets. Troll the baits slowly and have someone holding the rod, when they feel the bait get nervous or hit you have to free spool for a bit because they usually miss on the first try or two, especially if you're using mullet. Trolling

Also great job offshore, were you fishing live boat or trolling?
    Thx!  We were trolling
  • YammyYammy Posts: 53 Greenhorn